• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Does this mean that there are at least 185 comic pressers
1 1

79 posts in this topic

using this machine alone?:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Comic-Book-Heat-Press-Pressed-Comics-for-better-grading-Books-T-Shirt-Press/252687468740?hash=item3ad558c8c4:rk:1:pf:0

Or are a lot of these actually sold for making t-shirts?

Seems like we are going to run out of pressable books soon.

At a $160 it is a bit much to purchase just for fun. I am putting together a pile of lumpy books to practice on if I ever get one of these. But I would be converting "Fair" copies to VGs. Maybe I could rent it out to local pressers who don't want to commit to $160 or do a time share?

22 hours ago, the blob said:

using this machine alone?:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Comic-Book-Heat-Press-Pressed-Comics-for-better-grading-Books-T-Shirt-Press/252687468740?hash=item3ad558c8c4:rk:1:pf:0

Or are a lot of these actually sold for making t-shirts?

Seems like we are going to run out of pressable books soon.

I'm not surprised that an enterprising huckster would market a t-shirt press for pressing comics. It looks like the same press that is sold for less as a t-shirt press. I'm sure you could press comics with this press. It has heat and pressure. You see these types of presses being used in Youtube videos for how to press comics tutorials. How good of a job you can achieve is questionable, especially in the hands of somebody who knows nothing about pressing and gets bad info from watching those videos. 

1 hour ago, jaeldubyoo said:

I'm not surprised that an enterprising huckster would market a t-shirt press for pressing comics. It looks like the same press that is sold for less as a t-shirt press. I'm sure you could press comics with this press. It has heat and pressure. You see these types of presses being used in Youtube videos for how to press comics tutorials. How good of a job you can achieve is questionable, especially in the hands of somebody who knows nothing about pressing and gets bad info from watching those videos. 

right, it's the same press sold for less by others. it's not like there are presses made for comics, folks have just figured out which presses do the best job I assume

It's not the right kind of press. Amateurs and hopefuls want to use T-Shirt presses because they are cheap.  The right kind of press starts at a grand $$ new.  Which is why they are popular used. Buying the right kind used is a matter of waiting. Because used they come in two flavors. Hardly used and used to death. 

The right kind of press is a dry mount heat press. Their original use is for mounting photographs. Seal/Bienfang  now D&K is the best known brand. It should be obvious that mounting photographs demands a much better press than melting ink or dye into cotton T-Shirts.  The pads (if buying used, the pads often need replaced) often cost close to what some of the cheap T-Shirt presses cost.  But the right kind of pad is also really important. And T-Shirt presses don't have the right kind of pad. 

The reason you see these types of presses on YouTube videos is because people that actually know how to press are not making YouTube videos. 

Here's your "trade secret" for today. 

Edited by Tony S

9 hours ago, Tony S said:

It's not the right kind of press.

That may well be true... but it's like a guy who sold me my first stereo said, back in 1980... "to get 90% of the highest quality stereo sound, it'll cost you $1000. To get that last 10%... it'll cost you ten times that... or more."

Here's a before and after of the heat press results in comic pressing... it's not perfect... but it would definitely increase the grade of the comic, don't you think?

pm4.jpg

46 minutes ago, oldrover said:

That may well be true... but it's like a guy who sold me my first stereo said, back in 1980... "to get 90% of the highest quality stereo sound, it'll cost you $1000. To get that last 10%... it'll cost you ten times that... or more."

Here's a before and after of the heat press results in comic pressing... it's not perfect... but it would definitely increase the grade of the comic, don't you think?

pm4.jpg

Those are not the same book and not the same quality of image lol.

1 minute ago, oldrover said:

Same stains, same staple problems, same tears... but, sure, other than that, totally different books. LOL

They did a good job of trying to find/create an identical copy, but the spine says it all. Not the same book.

Edited by TwoPiece

7 minutes ago, TwoPiece said:

They did a good job of trying to find/create an identical copy, but the spine says it all. Not the same book.

pm3.jpg

The wear up and down the spine is identical to me. Can you be specific about one spot anywhere that's different?

Edited by oldrover

26 minutes ago, TwoPiece said:
28 minutes ago, oldrover said:

Same stains, same staple problems, same tears... but, sure, other than that, totally different books. LOL

You actually believe that someone went through the trouble to find/create an identical copy? 

Look at the top staple in the top down and spine angle pictures.  It's unusual and identical, both the shape of the staple and the 1/2 inch horizontal rip.  Same with the bottom staple, identical and very unique.  There are hundreds of other matching flaws exhibited on both books.