• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Does this mean that there are at least 185 comic pressers
1 1

79 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, TwoPiece said:

Yes.

I honestly believe your methodology is flawed. A difference of a few degrees can make a huge difference. The pictures would have to be taken at the same exact alignment, distance, and height to match up perfectly for your method. Also, the lighting is different. That's science.

You will find that experienced collectors can tell whether or not a comic is the same one in different pictures, Especially on these boards.

Edited by jaeldubyoo

7 hours ago, oldrover said:

That may well be true... but it's like a guy who sold me my first stereo said, back in 1980... "to get 90% of the highest quality stereo sound, it'll cost you $1000. To get that last 10%... it'll cost you ten times that... or more."

Here's a before and after of the heat press results in comic pressing... it's not perfect... but it would definitely increase the grade of the comic, don't you think?

pm4.jpg

Was this one that you pressed yourself using a t-shirt press?

8 hours ago, oldrover said:

That may well be true... but it's like a guy who sold me my first stereo said, back in 1980... "to get 90% of the highest quality stereo sound, it'll cost you $1000. To get that last 10%... it'll cost you ten times that... or more."

Here's a before and after of the heat press results in comic pressing... it's not perfect... but it would definitely increase the grade of the comic, don't you think?

pm4.jpg

Yes - the comic book looks better and likely grades higher. . And if you are satisfied with a low quality pressing performed on a poor choice of pressing machine, who am I to question?  

However, a professional that knows what they are doing and is using the right equipment and techniques would have improved the book further. There is a small spine roll that needs realigned and the bottom corner clearly needs more work. The spine realignment alone would make very noticeable improvement in the appearance of the book.   

26 minutes ago, Tony S said:

Yes - the comic book looks better and likely grades higher. . And if you are satisfied with a low quality pressing performed on a poor choice of pressing machine, who am I to question?  

However, a professional that knows what they are doing and is using the right equipment and techniques would have improved the book further. There is a small spine roll that needs realigned and the bottom corner clearly needs more work. The spine realignment alone would make very noticeable improvement in the appearance of the book.   

I don’t disagree with anything you said, and in the case of a book like this, a professional would accomplish more. Just saying that this does have value, especially if one has a bunch of books that could be improved a tick or so by a ‘simple’ press. 

Edited by oldrover

5 hours ago, TwoPiece said:

I downloaded the images in TIF format, imported into CATDraft, and measured imperfections. They don't all line up.

Regardless of just looking at the photos and realizing it's the same book. He posted BC scans too, with pieces missing.

Sometimes the easiest answer is actually the correct one.  

20 minutes ago, oldrover said:

I don’t disagree with anything you said, and in the case of a book like this, a professional would accomplish more. Just saying that this does have value, especially if one has a bunch of books that could be improved a tick or so by a ‘simple’ press. 

You guys do realize these photos were posted on a website offering a professional service.

36 minutes ago, Ze-man said:

Regardless of just looking at the photos and realizing it's the same book. He posted BC scans too, with pieces missing.

Sometimes the easiest answer is actually the correct one.  

TwoPiece has done 'research', what the heck do you know......  :foryou:

1 hour ago, Ze-man said:

You guys do realize these photos were posted on a website offering a professional service.

Yes. A lot of businesses do that. I have a hunch that they get business from people trying it on their own and realizing they’d rather pay someone else to do it. 

19 minutes ago, oldrover said:

Yes. A lot of businesses do that. I have a hunch that they get business from people trying it on their own and realizing they’d rather pay someone else to do it. 

It was joke.  Tony was saying a professional who knows what they are doing could do more with that book. Yet it was posted on a professionals website offering said service.

I guess we need to determine what the word professional actually means.

Edited by Ze-man