• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Does this mean that there are at least 185 comic pressers
1 1

79 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, Ze-man said:

You guys do realize these photos were posted on a website offering a professional service.

From that website...

"I am not a professional presser, and I’m not a professional grader. However, these are the methods I use when I press comic books as a hobbyist."

However, if your point is about the pictures, then you are 100% correct. Before and after pictures are of the the same book. 

2 hours ago, Ze-man said:

It was joke.  Tony was saying a professional who knows what they are doing could do more with that book. Yet it was posted on a professionals website offering said service.

I guess we need to determine what the word professional actually means.

He doesn't claim to be a professional...

I am not a professional presser, and I’m not a professional grader. However, these are the methods I use when I press comic books as a hobbyist.

20 minutes ago, comicquant said:

There's no question thats the same book.  There are enough defects in that book to essentially form a "thumbprint".  

It's a wind up comicquant. People have jumped on it as being serious and he's milked it.

Edited by Gnasher

On 11/15/2018 at 10:06 AM, oldrover said:

That may well be true... but it's like a guy who sold me my first stereo said, back in 1980... "to get 90% of the highest quality stereo sound, it'll cost you $1000. To get that last 10%... it'll cost you ten times that... or more."

Here's a before and after of the heat press results in comic pressing... it's not perfect... but it would definitely increase the grade of the comic, don't you think?

pm4.jpg

Technically I could do what you did with a spray bottle and a clothes iron. Heck, I got a boardies book to a 9.8 using an iron and a piece of paper.  Because it looks better doesn’t mean it is a job well done. 

2 hours ago, joeypost said:

Technically I could do what you did with a spray bottle and a clothes iron. Heck, I got a boardies�book to a 9.8 using an iron and a piece of�paper. �Because it looks better doesn�t mean it is a job well done.�

I significantly improved a book by just having it sit under a very heavy mag box for 5 years.

2 hours ago, joeypost said:

Technically I could do what you did with a spray bottle and a clothes iron. Heck, I got a boardies�book to a 9.8 using an iron and a piece of�paper. �Because it looks better doesn�t mean it is a job well done.�

I significantly improved a book by just having it sit under a very heavy mag box for 5 years.

13 hours ago, joeypost said:

Heck, I got a boardies book to a 9.8 using an iron and a piece of paper.

This statement makes both our points... that a professional can deliver excellent results, and that the improvement of a simple press is achievable on one’s own.

On 11/17/2018 at 6:28 AM, oldrover said:

This statement makes both our points... that a professional can deliver excellent results, and that the improvement of a simple press is achievable on one’s own.

I can flatten out a dog eared corner and improve the look and grade of a book. Takes no specific skill set other than being able to see the damage and access to some water or saliva to keep the bend flat. Improvement, for most on these boards, is not enough. If your going to pay for a simple press, pay a little extra and get it done right and maximize the potential of the book. Then gain, I guess some people are happy with whatever they get as long as they don’t go backwards or upside down. 

13 minutes ago, joeypost said:

I can flatten out a dog eared corner and improve the look and grade of a book. Takes no specific skill set other than being able to see the damage and access to some water or saliva to keep the bend flat. Improvement, for most on these boards, is not enough. If your going to pay for a simple press, pay a little extra and get it done right and maximize the potential of the book. Then gain, I guess some people are happy with whatever they get as long as they don’t go backwards or upside down. 

I used to go through someone in Indiana but I wasn't always happy. Now I go through the guy who posted above me and have been very satisfied. And his judgment has taught me about grading better as well. It is about time to put another group together and send them off to him I think!

32 minutes ago, joeypost said:

If your going to pay for a simple press, pay a little extra and get it done right and maximize the potential of the book.

That is easier said than done. A lot of places you are looking at a 3-4 month backlog for pressing. So if timing is an issue, there's that.

I am NOT trying to diminish the value of a professional pressing. Just saying that there's value in the DIY system as well.

Just like with a home project. There are some simpler ones you can do on your own... and some you hire a professional to do.

1 hour ago, joeypost said:

If your going to pay for a simple press, pay a little extra and get it done right and maximize the potential of the book.

Another factor is the cost... let's say you have a book that with a press would be worth $50. The press will cost $50. Why do it?

I see it having more impact on $10-30 books than on $10,000-30,000 books. Those pricey books need the care of a professional. Hell, if my Avengers 1 needs a press to smooth out a non-color-breaking crease on the back cover, I am NOT doing that puppy myself. LOL

1 hour ago, oldrover said:

Another factor is the cost... let's say you have a book that with a press would be worth $50. The press will cost $50. Why do it?

I see it having more impact on $10-30 books than on $10,000-30,000 books. Those pricey books need the care of a professional. Hell, if my Avengers 1 needs a press to smooth out a non-color-breaking crease on the back cover, I am NOT doing that puppy myself. LOL

If you are paying $50 to press a book, it may be time to shop around.