• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Does this mean that there are at least 185 comic pressers
1 1

79 posts in this topic

23 minutes ago, oldrover said:

I figured $20-25 for the press, $10 or so each way for shipping and insurance. So maybe 40-45.  Is that inaccurate?

I would say wildly inaccurate for some. For others it is a lowball. 

41 minutes ago, oldrover said:

I figured $20-25 for the press, $10 or so each way for shipping and insurance. So maybe 40-45.  Is that inaccurate?

Remember too, if yo are slabbing the book, there are some pressers who deliver straight to CGC without a cost to you which does cut your cost, especially when you may have large, heavy submissions. 

I used a DIY humidity chamber which can be made cheap, about $20 worth of items from Home Depot, and pressed it again to get more of the spine creases out recently.

After:

20180331_184426.thumb.jpg.ef7b66d29cd52268816d42e209d06385.jpg20180331_184421.thumb.jpg.ed62cc9506856b0c458fa187061ccfcb.jpg20180331_184457.thumb.jpg.a415bd0f54f5ee52b04abce73c6eb412.jpg

Edited by BrntWS6

58 minutes ago, BrntWS6 said:

I used a DIY humidity chamber which can be made cheap, about $20 worth of items from Home Depot, and pressed it again to get more of the spine creases out recently.

It looks like you introduced a water stain, upper right of the 'N" in the title.

On 11/15/2018 at 3:38 PM, telerites said:

I remember when this video came out in 2007.  He had two of them.  Caused a stir here, IIRC, and wasn't there speculation on who it was?

i'm glad my wife didn't find me watching this video. I'd have to endure the cultural insensitivity lecture. My life is a billion times better with my wife in my life, but mess man, sometimes you just gotta bite your tongue. 

8 minutes ago, NoMan said:

i'm glad my wife didn't find me watching this video. I'd have to endure the cultural insensitivity lecture. My life is a billion times better with my wife in my life, but mess man, sometimes you just gotta bite your tongue. 

Whoever thought of that has some issues anyway. LOL

On 12/6/2018 at 12:15 PM, BrntWS6 said:

After:

20180331_184426.thumb.jpg.ef7b66d29cd52268816d42e209d06385.jpg20180331_184421.thumb.jpg.ed62cc9506856b0c458fa187061ccfcb.jpg20180331_184457.thumb.jpg.a415bd0f54f5ee52b04abce73c6eb412.jpg

Nice! That said, I feel much better about sending mine to joeypost. If I was gonna actively buy and sell going forward, maybe it would be worth learning the skill. But I like the idea of handing my books to a professional, especially at joey's rates. I can see me getting a press, a humidity chamber and really ruining some books. LOL

wish there was a way to know if you're book was pressed by an educated/skilled/hard-working talented presser or some kid from the t-shirt shack at the mall next to the "we change watch batteries" watch store. I guess you can tell from results.

8 minutes ago, NoMan said:

wish there was a way to know if you're book was pressed by an educated/skilled/hard-working talented presser or some kid from the t-shirt shack at the mall next to the "we change watch batteries" watch store. I guess you can tell from results.

Well, maybe not for a basic press. But I bet if there's a spine roll or something complicated, you could tell. I've got a Hulk 181 with spine roll. It's not going to the shirt shack. ;)

On 12/6/2018 at 12:15 PM, Bomber-Bob said:

It looks like you introduced a water stain, upper right of the 'N" in the title.

Picture was taken before it was put into the humidity chamber.  This book was taken out of the dollar bin in 1992, it was and is not in the greatest shape.  And if the correct material is used no condensation will accumulate over the book.  Its the same process Smithsonian's etc use to press out documents they put on display. 

19 hours ago, oldrover said:

Whoever thought of that has some issues anyway. LOL

Nice! That said, I feel much better about sending mine to joeypost. If I was gonna actively buy and sell going forward, maybe it would be worth learning the skill. But I like the idea of handing my books to a professional, especially at joey's rates. I can see me getting a press, a humidity chamber and really ruining some books. LOL

i dont buy and sell, just in the process of getting my collection graded.  To press everything i wanted to send off would have cost me a fortune.  I just practiced on a bunch of junk books first and read as much as i could find.  Out of all the projects i have taught myself to do pressing is by far the easiest.   Sure a high end press would be great, but i have gotten plenty of 9.6 - 9.8s back from cgc that came out of that press.

1 hour ago, BrntWS6 said:

i dont buy and sell, just in the process of getting my collection graded.  To press everything i wanted to send off would have cost me a fortune.  I just practiced on a bunch of junk books first and read as much as i could find.  Out of all the projects i have taught myself to do pressing is by far the easiest.   Sure a high end press would be great, but i have gotten plenty of 9.6 - 9.8s back from cgc that came out of that press.

I don’t doubt it. I actually bought a press for that same purpose. Turns out I don’t have the patience... plus most of my books are mid grade with flaws a press won’t fix. But as I said earlier on this thread, I definitely appreciate the value in this.