• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Promotional Materials
2 2

63 posts in this topic

On 5/1/2019 at 2:21 PM, Stronguy said:

Back in the day, a friend of mine won one of these.  It was indeed just all 6 issues with a cover glued onto it.  Which #1 cover you got, Newsstand or Direct, was random.  He ended up with not only the Direct Edition cover (which everyone wanted) but it was a double cover.

Now you have to make me check mine to see which version I have.

On 5/1/2019 at 2:23 PM, Stronguy said:

The funny thing was, it was literally just that.  They stacked up the 6 issues and glued them together with a cover.  It's not like they did a special printing or anything.

Several of the late 80s trades were like that: they just took unsold copies, bound 'em together, and that was that. Sometimes they removed the original covers, sometimes they didn't.

The first Blind Justice trade (a real pain to find), the Plastic Forks TPB from Epic, I think even the Havok & Wolverine TPB. I think Elektra Assassin, too. Quite a few more.

6 hours ago, manetteska said:

Anyone know more about this?

That is referred to as a preview or Black and White Advance copy. They were sent to distributors , sales , and sometimes stores. So you could see what the comic was like as well as read the story .  Some are rarer than others. Earlier versions were referred to as ashcans. This due to the fact they were to be destroyed.  

IMG_20190523_203751871~2.jpg

IMG_20190523_203740023.jpg

IMG_20190523_203713782.jpg

IMG_20190523_203659052.jpg

On 5/23/2019 at 9:45 PM, onlyweaknesskryptonite said:

That is referred to as a preview or Black and White Advance copy. They were sent to distributors , sales , and sometimes stores. So you could see what the comic was like as well as read the story .  Some are rarer than others. Earlier versions were referred to as ashcans. This due to the fact they were to be destroyed.  

IMG_20190523_203751871~2.jpg

IMG_20190523_203740023.jpg

IMG_20190523_203713782.jpg

IMG_20190523_203659052.jpg

Does anyone know if CGC will grade these? I have one I'm thinking about getting signed/graded but don't want to send it off before knowing. 

3 hours ago, kapzilla said:

Does anyone know if CGC will grade these? I have one I'm thinking about getting signed/graded but don't want to send it off before knowing. 

CGC grades the Acclaim (Valiant) Retailer Review editions, but those are closer to a comic format. Are these basically photocopies? Is there anything about them that would make it difficult to counterfeit them?

3 minutes ago, GeeksAreMyPeeps said:

CGC grades the Acclaim (Valiant) Retailer Review editions, but those are closer to a comic format. Are these basically photocopies? Is there anything about them that would make it difficult to counterfeit them?

That was my main concern other than the size. The one I have is for The Invisibles 1, which is pretty much the same size as Love and Rockets 1 (which can be graded), and all the DC ones shown above. It would be difficult to prove authenticity I think. Obviously they have copyright/trademarks on them, but other than that nothing that couldn't be replicated. I've also never seen one in a slab, but I'm by no means an expert on the topic.

7 hours ago, kapzilla said:

I would call them, however if I am not mistaken they no longer grade them. The did originally for some of the older issues. ( Action Comics ) however now I believe they no longer accept them. I would definitely call. Let us know if you get a definitive  answer as I have a few I have considered.

15 hours ago, onlyweaknesskryptonite said:

I would call them, however if I am not mistaken they no longer grade them. The did originally for some of the older issues. ( Action Comics ) however now I believe they no longer accept them. I would definitely call. Let us know if you get a definitive  answer as I have a few I have considered.

So I just called and spoke with a customer service rep who checked with a grader and said they do grade them, as long as they will fit in a holder... He said the largest dimension holder is 12.93 top to bottom and 8.18 wide. He said the thickness, but I'm at work and didn't have a pen to write it down. I don't think the thickness will be an issue though as these are thinner than magazines. Now I just have to get out the old measuring tape and double check, unless someone know the dimensions for the DC advance readers

59 minutes ago, kapzilla said:

So I just called and spoke with a customer service rep who checked with a grader and said they do grade them, as long as they will fit in a holder... He said the largest dimension holder is 12.93 top to bottom and 8.18 wide. He said the thickness, but I'm at work and didn't have a pen to write it down. I don't think the thickness will be an issue though as these are thinner than magazines. Now I just have to get out the old measuring tape and double check, unless someone know the dimensions for the DC advance readers

Holy kap, he's back!

10 minutes ago, manetteska said:

What'd you pick up? Still in OH? Still have that IH181 you traded for?

Nothing too crazy, just some books I'm planning to have signed by Morrison and stuff. Yeah still in Ohio unfortunately lol and I do have the IH181, really glad I got that when I did all these older keys are getting out of hand price wise