• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Promotional Materials
2 2

63 posts in this topic

If I remember right, that five foot Wolverines wasn't exactly a promo item.  They were offered to shops for $15 for promo pieces or for sale. I had a carton of them as they were a one time offering.  Most every other promo piece was free.

My LCS has been gone a long time now, but (back in the day) if you asked the owner if you could have a promo item, she would lightly write your name in pencil on the back of the poster or somewhere non-invasive on the item. She was great about reserving/saving things for her regular comic people.

Incredibly cool store that also doubled as a used book store and some other collectibles. The owner knew a great deal about antique dolls, clothing, signage - you name it. Every time you came in the store there was something new (old) there.

1 hour ago, Aweandlorder said:

Barely copper but still, I think this fits this thread's needs

pr0.jpg

pr1.jpg

pr2.jpg

pr3.jpg

pr4.jpg

Cool stuff. I started the thread in Copper since that's when a lot of the interesting stuff I have is from, but all eras are welcome. I imagine there's not going to be a ton of stuff from Bronze since the Direct Market started late in the age, and probably almost nothing from earlier

12 hours ago, onlyweaknesskryptonite said:

20180402_013811~2.jpg

20180402_013904~2.jpg

IMG_20190430_192838658~2.jpg

I LOVE the fact that at this point trade paperbacks were still rare enough that they felt the need to describe the book as "the entire six issue series bound between two covers". Because, you know, that's what a book is.

1 hour ago, HighVoltage said:

Very cool! Did the ring come with the tpb.

This ring did not . these particular rings were made to celebrate the 50th Anniversary back in 1988. Classic Superman artwork by Neal Adams. They were given away at Metropolis , IL.

17 hours ago, onlyweaknesskryptonite said:

20180402_013811~2.jpg

Back in the day, a friend of mine won one of these.  It was indeed just all 6 issues with a cover glued onto it.  Which #1 cover you got, Newsstand or Direct, was random.  He ended up with not only the Direct Edition cover (which everyone wanted) but it was a double cover.

5 hours ago, F For Fake said:

I LOVE the fact that at this point trade paperbacks were still rare enough that they felt the need to describe the book as "the entire six issue series bound between two covers". Because, you know, that's what a book is.

The funny thing was, it was literally just that.  They stacked up the 6 issues and glued them together with a cover.  It's not like they did a special printing or anything.

4 hours ago, Stronguy said:

Back in the day, a friend of mine won one of these.  It was indeed just all 6 issues with a cover glued onto it.  Which #1 cover you got, Newsstand or Direct, was random.  He ended up with not only the Direct Edition cover (which everyone wanted) but it was a double cover.

I am glad you brought up this point. I have always wondered if these were just at random of if one was for the winners and the other for the shops so even without the letter you could tell which one you had. Really would have loved a double cover version as this series did have an issue of having double covers. 

And just to get back to the original post topic. Don't remember exact dates as bottom shows 1941 npp , but I do remember these were store display signs used in the 1970's for National Periodical Publications.

20170619_130241~2.jpg