• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How Rare is a Jack Kirby Signed Book?

58 posts in this topic

There’s some threads on this in the signature sub forum, consider checking there

Jack signed a lot of comics, although probably orders of magnitude fewer than Stan.  He was a frequent attendee at New York Comic Con when living in NYC and San Diego Comic Con when he moved to SoCal.  And back in the day, the creators signed books for fans for free.  Here's one I had signed at a Phil Seuling show:

Kirbysig1.thumb.jpg.ace03daf91e12a4e3d80146ebdb0f279.jpg

Mr. Kirby passed away years before the advent of CGC, if you're thinking about "officially" designated signatured CGC slabs, so those are nonexistent.  There are, however, other signature authentication services in the comics encapsulation industry.

Edited by namisgr

10 hours ago, Karl Liebl said:
10 hours ago, revat said:

There’s some threads on this in the signature sub forum, consider checking there

Got a link?  Thanks!

No problem!

There's a search function in the upper right corner of this page (assuming you're on a computer, I'm sure mobile has a search function too).  You can actually run fairly specific advanced searches.

Or you can go to the Signature Subforum and dig around, there's probably one (maybe two) related threads on the first 3-5 pages, you might come across some other interesting threads as well.

But what others have said is also true.

Also, in general the sigs tend to be written on the first page or splash page, and therefore might be harder to identify when looking at a given comic unless someone notes it or pointed out or opens it up to check.  Also during the last few years of Kirby's life, there seems to be some evidence that some relatives were signing items for him. 

Good luck!

1 hour ago, JollyComics said:

So Jack Kirby was passed away in 1994. CGC was founded in 2000. It's tough to find his signature.

It's not, unless you're specifically thinking of the CGC signature series.

When Kirby lived in Mineola/ Williston, kids would just knock on his door and he would sometimes come out. At some point, he had some black and white mini posters made up and he'd sign them. Those don't turn up very often, as far as I know.

His California house was more remote so I don't know how visitors were handled. I can't imagine Roz was anything less than welcoming.

3 minutes ago, JollyComics said:

Have you seen one yet?  I don't think CGC will grant an authenticity on that signature. 6 years too late.

My post is just above yours, where I wrote:

Mr. Kirby passed away years before the advent of CGC, if you're thinking about "officially" designated signatured CGC slabs, so those are nonexistent.  There are, however, other signature authentication services in the comics encapsulation industry.

I mistakenly thought that since it was right there in a one page thread, you might have read it before posting.

23 minutes ago, shadroch said:

You can buy plenty of verified Kirby signatures, unless one believes CGC is the only authority on the matter.

Well, since they're the only grading service to require company observed authentication, it's not uncommon to think that they're the only ones truly qualified to be authorities on the matter.

I don't think people realize how lucrative forged signature business could/would be if CGC wasn't the king of comic grading services. I could double my salary easily.

9 minutes ago, TwoPiece said:

Well, since they're the only grading service to require company observed authentication, it's not uncommon to think that they're the only ones truly qualified to be authorities on the matter.

I don't think people realize how lucrative forged signature business could/would be if CGC wasn't the king of comic grading services. I could double my salary easily.

No matter how laudatory the CGC signature series practices are, they won't help you find a Jack Kirby autographed comic that they'll certify as such.  So for those wanting to own a comic autographed by the King, and not fortunate enough to own a book personally signed by him, other means are necessary.

Edited by namisgr

5 minutes ago, namisgr said:

No matter how laudatory the CGC signature series practices are, they won't help you find a Jack Kirby autographed comic that they'll certify as such.  So for those wanting to own a comic autographed by the King, and not fortunate enough to own a book personally signed by him, other means are necessary.

Unless you got it signed yourself, there are no guarantees that it's a legitimate King signature. That's why CGC's SS products are awesome. It's too bad they only started-up in 2000.

23 minutes ago, TwoPiece said:

So CGC is the only thing keeping you from a life as a thief. Thanks for sharing.