• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Chuckles mourns Stan but needs your help

33 posts in this topic

in between all the Chuck wildly_fanciful_statement about him and stan being the best of buddies blah blah blah and him needing to pay the bills in same sentence, something struck me.  He made mention of Stan waiving his $10000 signing fee in 1981 for his dirt poor best friend Chuckles.  Was Stan really charging that much in 1981?

20 minutes ago, Pirate said:

in between all the Chuck wildly_fanciful_statement about him and stan being the best of buddies blah blah blah and him needing to pay the bills in same sentence, something struck me.  He made mention of Stan waiving his $10000 signing fee in 1981 for his dirt poor best friend Chuckles.  Was Stan really charging that much in 1981?

No way in hell.

My grandfather got his signature a few times in the 80's an IIRC it was $40-50 back then.

4 minutes ago, TwoPiece said:

No way in hell.

My grandfather got his signature a few times in the 80's an IIRC it was $40-50 back then.

I think he meant the retainer fee the host pays to have Stan onsite.  I could see $10k at that time.  This was a really good time for Marvel.  Claremont wrote Days of Future Past in 1981 and I believe this is around the time Marvel experienced its highest distribution numbers.

13 minutes ago, comicquant said:

I think he meant the retainer fee the host pays to have Stan onsite.  I could see $10k at that time.  This was a really good time for Marvel.  Claremont wrote Days of Future Past in 1981 and I believe this is around the time Marvel experienced its highest distribution numbers.

O I C

I could see that. That may have been a flat fee for his time, travel, hotel, etc. If he's flying to Colorado, staying over at a nice place, eating out, it's not insane to ask for that much.

Remember, stars now get a minimum for appearance at a con. If they don't make that up in signature fees, the con organizer has to buy up the remaining amount (usually getting thousands of dollars worth of signatures). 

2 minutes ago, RCheli said:

I could see that. That may have been a flat fee for his time, travel, hotel, etc. If he's flying to Colorado, staying over at a nice place, eating out, it's not insane to ask for that much.

Remember, stars now get a minimum for appearance at a con. If they don't make that up in signature fees, the con organizer has to buy up the remaining amount (usually getting thousands of dollars worth of signatures). 

I know all this, it's out of hand.  I"m talking about 1981.

5 minutes ago, Pirate said:

Sure. Last year, his rate was probably $50k or more. So $10k in 1981 wasn't that nuts.

1 hour ago, RCheli said:

Sure. Last year, his rate was probably $50k or more. So $10k in 1981 wasn't that nuts.

$10,000 in 1981 was a huge chunk of change. That's about 2/3 of the average annual income that year, You could have bought 20,000 new comics off the newsstands at cover price.

Edited by jaeldubyoo

23 hours ago, RCheli said:
23 hours ago, Pirate said:

Which show would also make a difference …. a show like SDCC might see it as an attendance generating draw, where as the local Creation Show at the nearby community college would pass on that. GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

Edited by jimjum12

Stan most likely did have an appearance fee -- probably a couple of thousand to at least cover expenses and some money for the effort-- but I would consider the source of this 10K amount and doubt it was quite that much to have him do a store appearance in 1981. Chuck stretches the truth to make his stories more impactful pretty much in every instance. Not saying it is impossible that Lee had a fee that high for something like attending a convention-- he was pretty hot in the collecting community at that point. My guess is the old Chuck multiplier was used to make the 2K into a 10K amount. But a less formal store appearance seems like it would a couple grand for a few hours of being there.

Edited by 01TheDude

2 minutes ago, WhatMeWorry said:

What is with this board and the continuous bashing of Mile High. Gets old.

LOL - it’s true.

I can’t speak for others - but it’s mostly because Chuck has had a terrible, awful run for his whole life (at least most of his stories start that way) with never-ending money problems.

...while finding the greatest Golden Age collection of all time.  And I know I’m a bit jealous that I didn’t live in Colorado and get a call from the Church family!