• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

FF#67 Record Sale?!
1 1

39 posts in this topic

14 hours ago, carefulsum said:

Amazing that someone paid this much for this book, is this issue worth $17k ?

Definitely not worth a fraction of that price, but then again I am a comic book collector as opposed to a CGC label collector.

Reminds me of the $15,000 that was paid for this copy of Iron Man 30:

iro1.5897a.jpg

Needless to say, subsequent CGC 9.8 graded copies of this same book are going for nowhere close to this price at all.

3 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

I always thought that Heritage, ComicConnect, and ComicLink were the 3 big auction houses, with Pedigree trailing far behind this group.

Curious as to which of the big 3 you would drop into 4th place behind Pedigree?  hm

Yeah my bad, I agree Pedigree would be somewhat a distant 4th. 

15 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

Definitely not worth a fraction of that price, but then again I am a comic book collector as opposed to a CGC label collector.

Reminds me of the $15,000 that was paid for this copy of Iron Man 30:

iro1.5897a.jpg

Needless to say, subsequent CGC 9.8 graded copies of this same book are going for nowhere close to this price at all.

Last GPA for this issue in 9.8 is..... 

$3,150

:roflmao:

2 minutes ago, JollyComics said:

Do you remember Green Lantern #76 CGC 9.6 was sold for $30K in 2009 until first 9.8 copy (now two of them and 20 in 9.6) showed up in 2014 and was sold for $31K. The price was dramatically dropped to only $5,800 and that person might lose about $25K.

:whatthe: That's a mighty big loss!

2 hours ago, carefulsum said:
2 hours ago, bc said:

Last GPA for this issue in 9.8 is..... 

$3,150

:roflmao:

No business selling at that price in the first place. If I remember correctly it doesn't have a 1st appearance or was ever considered a key book.

Yes, but when it sold for $15K back in 2016, it was the single highest and only CGC 9.8 graded copy in the "entire universe".

To each their own, as I hope the buyer must have realized that he was paying for the CGC label, as opposed to the underlying comic book itself which doesn't really have much value anywhere below uber high grade.  

And as I have mentioned many times before any premium paid for a so-called "highest graded copy" only has transitory value as there are bound to be other copies that will eventually come into the marketplace, especially for these what would be common books in anything below uber higher grade.  hm

1 hour ago, bc said:
2 hours ago, JollyComics said:

Do you remember Green Lantern #76 CGC 9.6 was sold for $30K in 2009 until first 9.8 copy (now two of them and 20 in 9.6) showed up in 2014 and was sold for $31K. The price was dramatically dropped to only $5,800 and that person might lose about $25K.

:whatthe: That's a mighty big loss!

Well, nothing compared to the CGC 9.9 graded copy of Hulk 181 which sold for something like $140K or was it $160K, but ended up with a severe case of SCS damage and would be lucky to grade back out in the low 9's now.  doh!  :tonofbricks:

8 hours ago, seanfingh said:

Based on how washed out the label looks, I would say the whiteness has been "enhanced."

Indeed, and it doesn't take any sophisticated software to achieve that. The buyer (if he completes the sale) will be disappointed that it isn't as bright as shown.

10 hours ago, pemart1966 said:

Someone thought so and there was an underbidder who thought that it was almost worth $17,000.

That all depends on who the underbidder was. lol

Edited by VintageComics

5 hours ago, lou_fine said:

Well, nothing compared to the CGC 9.9 graded copy of Hulk 181 which sold for something like $140K or was it $160K, but ended up with a severe case of SCS damage and would be lucky to grade back out in the low 9's now.  doh!  :tonofbricks:

So in reality the 9.8’s are the highest grade then? :headbang:

1 hour ago, carefulsum said:
6 hours ago, lou_fine said:

So in reality the 9.8’s are the highest grade then? :headbang:

Why, you ungrateful little cretin............do you not realize these are the CGC boards and you are only a guest here?  (tsk)  lol

And as such, have you not learned that the only thing that matters about a graded book is the big number on the top left hand corner and no attention should be paid to the underlying book itself?  :gossip:

Have you never hear the term that you should "Buy the label, and not the book"?  (:

27 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

And as such, have you not learned that the only thing that matters about a graded book is the big number on the top left hand corner and no attention should be paid to the underlying book itself?  :gossip:

Sure that applies to the dude that bought the Iron Man# 30 but in the case of IH 181 which I'm referring to the underlying book itself IS significant enough in it's own right regardless of grade therefore if one is lucky enough to getting the highest grade is not on a fool's errand. :wink:

Edited by carefulsum