• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Stan Lee Stories
2 2

122 posts in this topic

Been here for seven years without a strike. 

I'll gladly take my first one telling you exactly how I feel about your routine. 

So go ahead. Find that button and hump it. 

Perhaps one day you'll learn how to actually contribute something positive. Fingers crossed buddy. 

ADDIO! :whatev:

6 hours ago, Jerkfro said:

How about instead of dickishly calling into question the motives of the OP, you either answer his question or just shut your trap?  What is wrong with you? Seriously

6 hours ago, TwoPiece said:

Too many rhetorical questions.

I don't think they were rhetorical. :gossip:

Just now, Domo Arigato said:

I don't think they were rhetorical. :gossip:

They were intentionally rhetorical to avoid the potential warning for inflammatory attempted "insults". If he makes those accusations as statements, then it's against the rules, but if he asks them as questions, well, he's "inquiring".

His allegation of me being "dickish" is entirely inferred and opinionated. The site has enough 1-post members with dreck topics. Giving me the ultimatum of answering a stupid question vs "shutting my trap" is just amateur hour. I will not be silenced in my desire to rid life and the internet of counterintelligence!

"What's wrong with me?", while being presented as a question, is rhetoric by the fact that there isn't anything wrong with me. Just a circumvention of previous noted board rules regarding inflammatory posts.

24 minutes ago, TwoPiece said:

I will not be silenced in my desire to rid life and the internet of counterintelligence!

25 minutes ago, TwoPiece said:

...there isn't anything wrong with me.

Are you sure? :gossip:

3 hours ago, miraclemet said:

I can understand the intent of the assignment, which might have been to have students discover or make use of lesser known avenues for finding information about a public figure or topic, and used Stan Lee as a focal point. Googling "Stan Lee facts" is easy enough, but maybe the teacher was trying to prod his/her students to think of other avenues for investigation/discovery. 

In that vein, I think the OP tried an interesting approach to the assignment by engaging online experts (us) on the topic to gain less readily available information.

I havent been a teacher in almost 20 years, but I could see having to teach students about information gathering in the internet age being both a key skill to pass to your students, and one that is difficult to overcome because googling "Stan Lee Facts" and just taking what the internet gives you is a very seductively easy path.. 

Here's a story that's more Marvel than just Stan Lee, but Stan's a player in it. 

Martin Goodman (Publisher for Timely/Marvel) at times played golf with the head of DC Comics, Jack Liebowitz. Well Jack was boasting about how successful his latest comic was and all it took was bringing together existing superheroes into a team (The Justice League of America). Martin was looking for a way to revitalize Marvel and after the round of golf he called his EiC Stan Lee and directed him to do something similar with the Marvel heroes. Stan wasn't thrilled with the idea of using retread superheores, so at the urging of his wife to make his own spin on things, he and the team at Marvel put together a series of solo superhero titles and characters, that he would then pull together to create the Avengers. 

So there we go. The biggest movie franchise, billions of dollars, and one of the most successful IPs ever, all from a boastful game of golf mixed with Stan's desire to put his (and his artists) own stamp on things. 

(story from Sean Howe’s excellent book Marvel Comics: The Untold Story)

granted you could probably google Avengers and golf and get someones write up of the same thing....

I read somewhere that the golfing story was debunked.

1 hour ago, TwoPiece said:

The site has enough 1-post members with dreck topics.  

i have to agree about the drive by shouters that come here, make one post and leave.  Not my favorite sorts of folks.

58 minutes ago, kav said:

i have to agree about the drive by shouters that come here, make one post and leave.  Not my favorite sorts of folks.

I agree in 99% of cases, but it should be pretty clear that we are dealing with a middle school or high school student (at best) who was politely asking for honest advice and help on a school project. 

Then someone had to make the thread about ME ME ME...

shame, because I really enjoyed hearing everyone's stories. 

Beating up on a kid with honest questions and totally derailing the thread is the kind of behavior that is NOT welcome in this community. Sorry. Usually, I shake my head and move on...but I'm not going to sit here and stand by while someone with no self-esteem takes it out on a kid needing to complete a school project. 

Two cents is constantly stirring the pot. Almost every post is antagonistic. He's added nothing to the boards. Thank God for the ignore function. 

..and Kav...what exactly was the kid "SHOUTING" about? He asked a simple question, and even said please. lol 

And everyone at some point had a first post. Why drive them away right off the bat? How is our community supposed to grow? A little kindness goes a long way. 

2 minutes ago, newshane said:

I agree in 99% of cases, but it should be pretty clear that we are dealing with a middle school or high school student (at best) who was politely asking for honest advice and help on a school project. 

Then someone had to make the thread about ME ME ME...

shame, because I really enjoyed hearing everyone's stories. 

Beating up on a kid with honest questions and totally derailing the thread is the kind of behavior that is NOT welcome in this community. Sorry. Usually, I shake my head and move on...but I'm not going to sit here and stand by while someone with no self-esteem takes it out on a kid needing to complete a school project. 

Two cents is constantly stirring the pot. Almost every post is antagonistic. He's added nothing to the boards. Thank God for the ignore function. 

I think if it was a real person interested in gaining info, he would be reading the posts and chiming in as info developed.  They never do that.  Drive by shouters seem to post here, get distracted by something shiny and never return to even read any of the answers.

2 minutes ago, newshane said:

..and Kav...what exactly was the kid "SHOUTING" about? He asked a simple question, and even said please. lol 

And everyone at some point had a first post. Why drive them away right off the bat? How is our community supposed to grow? A little kindness goes a long way. 

oh I just use the phrase as a take on drive by shooting.  Drive by shouting.  I thought it sounded funny.

And yes boardies all have a first post.  Drive by shouters have a first post, which is also their last post.  Remember that guy whining about CGC vastly undergraded/ripped him off?

5 hours ago, TwoPiece said:
5 hours ago, newshane said:

I'm wondering the same. Why so rude and combative? 

You realize that the OP is probably just a young kid, right???

Coming here asking for help and then he crudely responds. 

If you don't have anything nice to say "TwoPiece" then find something else to do with your time. Your energy sucks. 

You can't tell me what to do, you're not my dad.

I will manage my time as I see fit.

They are telling you are acting like a big :censored:. Pay attention. Re-read your comments they are just plain rude. 

The OP asked a simple question. How about showing some decency.

Edited by fastballspecial

3 minutes ago, fastballspecial said:

They are telling you are acting like a big :censored:. Pay attention. Re-read your comments they are just plain rude. 

The OP asked a simple question. How about showing some decency.

To be fair he was insulted first.  You get to let loose, when someone does that.

he merely asked a legitimate question and one that was on my mind:
"No teacher does this.

What is the purpose of this?"

That is not insulting at all.  Then HE started getting insults.

Edited by kav

I guess it all comes down to if you believe the OP was a child and that it was an honest request. 

I have no idea honestly but was kindly leaning towards it was a shilly OP with a nonsensical post hence a my nonsensical response as in you get what you give. Put no energy into post, get no energy back. Now if this was truly a kid maybe not such a bad lesson for him/her to learn: Put a little more effort into things and you'll get a more effort returned

Now if it was a really little, little kid, I dunno. I say put a little more effort into things as life just doesn't hand stuff to you. You gotta work for it. Even as an 8 year old my post would have been a little more detailed. I would have put more work into it. Now maybe this child has developmental problems. Maybe we should assume all first time posters have developmental problems. 

You can argue a person has a poor disposition if you assume the OP is a jerk wad jerking our chain, but you can't really blame longtime folks around here for thinking it's a shilly OP given the history around here.

Edited by NoMan

2 hours ago, NoMan said:

I guess it all comes down to if you believe the OP was a child and that it was an honest request. 

I have no idea honestly but was kindly leaning towards it was a shilly OP with a nonsensical post hence a my nonsensical response as in you get what you give. Put no energy into post, get no energy back. Now if this was truly a kid maybe not such a bad lesson for him/her to learn: Put a little more effort into things and you'll get a more effort returned

Now if it was a really little, little kid, I dunno. I say put a little more effort into things as life just doesn't hand stuff to you. You gotta work for it. Even as an 8 year old my post would have been a little more detailed. I would have put more work into it. Now maybe this child has developmental problems. Maybe we should assume all first time posters have developmental problems. 

You can argue a person has a poor disposition if you assume the OP is a jerk wad jerking our chain, but you can't really blame longtime folks around here for thinking it's a shilly OP given the history around here.

I can agree with this, actually. 

I guess I'd just like to see a little more kindness in the world. I still wonder...if this behavior bothers people, then why even respond to it? Seems like a bigger waste of time to kick up dirt when it's not really necessary. Just hit the back button on the browser and find another thread.