• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Stan Lee Stories
2 2

122 posts in this topic

I agree! Why not just share your Stan Lee stories or don't? Why waste everyone's time with negativity?  I used to love reading the movie threads here, but it's all hate now. Why not just try and post positives and shelf the negative opinions? I'm here because comics are a positive part of my life. 

I met Stan 3 times. 2 were fast sign and go with a wide table, in Chicago and not personal, although, I did attend his QandA panel for both and they are a great way to feel connected to the creator/celeb on the cheap. In 2010, I did the Stan Lee VIP at Detroit Fanfare. The man was sharp as a tack, energetic and very entertaining. He talked to me personally about the original art I was getting signed at a narrow table and his panel was small and personal. He went above and beyond to answer his fans questions at the panel with detail and enthusiasm, especially this one young kid dressed as Spiderman who wanted to know about how Stan got the idea. He was happy to be there and it was very evident. He truly did enjoy being around his fans and I felt special just to have shared the same air and exchange a few words with a legend. One of the highlights of me and my wife's life. We even used our picture with him as our Christmas card for that year and wished everyone a MARVELous Christmas. Age is unkind to us all, but he went hard for his fans right up to the end. He served his country in WW2, promoted tolerance and peace with his writing. He created heroes because he was one.

It always cracks me up when some of the most hostile to new people folks excoriate others for being 'hostile' to new posters.

Its just about not being an absolute dic right out of the gate, Kav...First reply every time is something along the lines of "that's stupid," "I've got/done something better," "my grandpa had one of those in the 80s so nya-nya," or "I'll buy if off you for .25 cents!"  That's all I've seen out of this person.

Edited by Mystafo

15 minutes ago, NoMan said:

OP came once, posted, never came back to see responses. Good responses, bad responses, sassy responses, any responses. OP just never bothered to come back regardless of what anyone posted. 

Perhaps, but we don't really know that.  The OP could be reading this thread and using the few on-topic posts that have been made.  And perhaps, seeing the *spoon* show that this thread devolved into, they decided against making any further posts themselves.

9 hours ago, Chuck Gower said:

This is why people are less inclined to come to this forum, because of a handful of people whose first response is to doubt, question, ridicule, and make someone feel NOT welcome. The trolls own this place now. 

Jerkfro, newshane, fastballspecial, Mystafo - kudos on speaking up - it's a shame what this place has turned into.

100%

4 minutes ago, Domo Arigato said:

Perhaps, but we don't really know that.  The OP could be reading this thread and using the few on-topic posts that have been made.  And perhaps, seeing the *spoon* show that this thread devolved into, they decided against making any further posts themselves.

Not unless he's been reading while not logged in.

• Content Count1
  • JoinedThursday at 06:43 AM
  • Last visitedThursday at 06:43 AM

Just now, Domo Arigato said:

You mean viewing the forum while not being logged in? I suppose that's possible. But from the facts I see, OP requested stories without putting much effort into it. Actually no effort. And than put no effort into coming back and seeing the positive effort that several people (not me so much:$, but others. I actually I didn't put any effort because I figured it was a drive by and I was correct in that) made in telling SL stories. I mean the OP came, posted one thing, NEVER returned. 

Again, perhaps they viewed responses (positive ones mind you) not logged in and decided not to return to say "Hey thanks for the stories!". I'm not gonna die on this hill, it's just my opinion dude made no effort at all. 

Edited by NoMan

Believe me this was a one shot poster, not interested whatsoever in any responses.  He just came out of boredom, posted, and left.  He deserves nothing.

6 minutes ago, NoMan said:

But from the facts I see, OP requested stories without putting much effort into it. Actually no effort.

I guess I just don't see it from that view point.  He let us know what he was looking for and people were free to share their experiences or not.  It was a simple request for a project.  I just don't see the need for someone to "earn" the right to make such a simple request.

8 minutes ago, NoMan said:

And than put no effort into coming back and seeing the positive effort that several people (not me so much:$, but others) made in telling SL stories. I mean the OP came, posted one thing, NEVER returned. 

Again, perhaps they viewed responses (positive ones mind you) not logged in and decided not to return to say "Hey thanks for the stories!". I'm not gonna die on this hill, it's just my opinion dude made no effort at all. 

As I mentioned, perhaps he did see the positive effort, and perhaps if it hadn't devolved into the aforementioned *spoon* show, he would have returned and thanked those who contributed.  As the thread sits, I can't blame him if he just decided to say "f*** it" and try to get his information elsewhere.

7 minutes ago, kav said:

Believe me this was a one shot poster, not interested whatsoever in any responses.  He just came out of boredom, posted, and left.  He deserves nothing.

That's certainly the more convenient thing to believe at this point.  Let's just roll with that.

Since I don't feel like accompanying my wife food shopping and she believes me to be here at the computer writing her friend in jail a letter, I'd like to keep this thread going. 

What makes someone here believe a first time poster is a "drive by" or not? How do you decide how much effort to put into a reply of a first time poster? I think I've covered how I feel about this in my posts above. I'd like to hear others. Thanks. 

2 minutes ago, Domo Arigato said:

As I mentioned, perhaps he did see the positive effort, and perhaps if it hadn't devolved into the aforementioned *spoon* show, he would have returned and thanked those who contributed.  As the thread sits, I can't blame him if he just decided to say "f*** it" and try to get his information elsewhere.

He immediately logged off.  It makes no logical sense to log off if you were staying to see what people posted.  You might have further questions, for instance.  I'm going to say that he hasn't seen ANY of these replies, or cares enough to check.  It's a slap in the face, is what it is.

1 minute ago, NoMan said:

What makes someone here believe a first time poster is a "drive by" or not?

When someone's first/only post is about sleeping with another members mother, I become suspicious.

1 minute ago, kav said:

He immediately logged off.  It makes no logical sense to log off if you were staying to see what people posted.  You might have further questions, for instance.  I'm going to say that he hasn't seen ANY of these replies, or cares enough to check.  It's a slap in the face, is what it is.

I did this very thing on a Vespa forum when I was selling my dads old Vespa.  I made a post detailing what information I was looking for and logged out.  Read the responses (logged off) over the next several days.  A while later (a week or two) I did log back on and thank everyone for their help......but of course, that thread hadn't turned in to the feces filled embarrassment that this one has.

The point I'm trying to make, Kav.....is neither you or anyone else in here knows.  You could certainly be right.  You could also be wrong.

1 minute ago, Domo Arigato said:

I did this very thing on a Vespa forum when I was selling my dads old Vespa.  I made a post detailing what information I was looking for and logged out.  Read the responses (logged off) over the next several days.  A while later (a week or two) I did log back on and thank everyone for their help......but of course, that thread hadn't turned in to the feces filled embarrassment that this one has.

The point I'm trying to make, Kav.....is neither you or anyone else in here knows.  You could certainly be right.  You could also be wrong.

what was the worst thing anyone said to him that would 'drive him off'?

1 hour ago, kav said:

It always cracks me up when some of the most hostile to new people folks excoriate others for being 'hostile' to new posters.

lol

I remember when you came here and it was widely thought you were some kid with problems.

Many people, including myself, reached out to you publicly and privately. 

Now you question everyone that comes on here. Bravo.