• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

FF 49 Jury is in...

30 posts in this topic

Grading is a funny thing, especially non-CGC versus CGC.

I'm just now getting back up to speed as a grader after buying comics years ago, storing them, forgetting about them, and now selling them or prepping them for sales.

In the sales of raw books I've done on eBay, people are happy with my grades in their feedback. Which to me suggests that I'm either in line with other collectors grading, or grade more harshly than other collectors.

But I've sent stuff to CGC that I thought would be a 4.5 and it came back 3.5, or an 8.0 and it came back 6.0, or a 2.0 and it came back a 1.0.  So I personally have given up trying to have an expectation of what CGC will give as a grade. Really just hoping that in the end it all balances out. :)

18 minutes ago, oldrover said:

Grading is a funny thing, especially non-CGC versus CGC.

I'm just now getting back up to speed as a grader after buying comics years ago, storing them, forgetting about them, and now selling them or prepping them for sales.

In the sales of raw books I've done on eBay, people are happy with my grades in their feedback. Which to me suggests that I'm either in line with other collectors grading, or grade more harshly than other collectors.

But I've sent stuff to CGC that I thought would be a 4.5 and it came back 3.5, or an 8.0 and it came back 6.0, or a 2.0 and it came back a 1.0.  So I personally have given up trying to have an expectation of what CGC will give as a grade. Really just hoping that in the end it all balances out. :)

I think its a great service for buyers and sellers of slabbed books, but its not so great getting your own books slabbed...  so far at least hehe

I keep getting dinged on darn chipping on top and bottom of books even though its very light.  These were the best books a 12 year old kid could afford at the time, I shouldn't complain, It probably only cost about 5 bucks and now worth over 1000.  Woe is me right?

On ‎11‎/‎15‎/‎2018 at 10:48 AM, Karl Liebl said:

And it's a.... 7

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_6ea.jpg.a623a863d77ea971565685678c0905cc.jpg

Grader notes are:

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_71b.jpg.c7a00098c8de4d8862e2274220fba1cc.jpg

Structurally, it is better than a 7.0. Add the staining into the equation (which the eyes cannot pick up from the poor picture) and you are in the 7.0 range. 

Early on staining/tanning and foxing is what most newbies fail to take into consideration when evaluating a book.

2 hours ago, GetOffMyLawn said:

You should learn how to grade before submitting any more books.

Yeah...  I will pre screen next time I think, it should cut down on any surprises.  I am still new to this.  I have only sent in 6 books so far.  A lot of my other books don't need pressing too, so that's a plus.

On ‎11‎/‎20‎/‎2018 at 10:47 AM, Karl Liebl said:

Yeah...  I will pre screen next time I think, it should cut down on any surprises.  I am still new to this.  I have only sent in 6 books so far.  A lot of my other books don't need pressing too, so that's a plus.

So, pressing is a waste of cash?

Did you get any 9.8s? :baiting:

1 hour ago, Chaos_in_Canada said:

So, pressing is a waste of cash?

Did you get any 9.8s? :baiting:

Honestly, I am not sure it has helped the grades on the books I have sent in so far.  That being said they DO look better in the slabs.  Newer books like these just don't need it...

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_734.jpg.e7f8b00036744ebd19a72fab4624962c.jpg

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_735.jpg.b89715b5a4bc377e461c81bab6671c81.jpg

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_736.jpg.93b19f86bacf732de34da051415f4a0d.jpg

Maybe I would press the ASM to get rid of the little non color breaking ripple at the top... Maybe...

all of my comic books from  now on will be submitted under Value Tier ..27.00.....I don't care if my book is Amazing  Fantasy # 1 and it look's mint to me.I will let them grade and then they can decide how much my book is worth ( based on the grade they give it ) and then they can change my grading Tier appropriately.