• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

FF 49 Jury is in...

30 posts in this topic

22 minutes ago, Ahsoka Tano Jedi Apprentice said:

i think u look at this cover and u think no way is this gonna come back as a 7.0  and then it arrives and it is and your like ...what went wrong.....

It no longer matters what I think as far as grading...  But I KNOW any collector would be happy to have this issue...

it's a turd because it came back slabbed as a 7.0.....no one by looking at this book on-line would think it's a 7.0 so by certifying the book u got punished by CGC with there extreme grading nit picking......i wonder if u wouldn't have been better off not grading it and at some point selling on Ebay as an 8.5  or why not a 9.0 ? The more people get there dreams crushed by CGC over little nit picking grading results u gotta think da more business they may cost themselves in da long run to other options out there like other grading companies.  I used to think i was pretty good at grading with all the time i've spent studying and testing myself and i've been beat down by CGC also now i'm terrified of submitting books to them to Certify. On these old books they r so extreme u never get back what u expect. My favorite part is they make u determine the cash value of your book and then pay accordingly the slabbing fee based on what u think da cash value of your book is. So say u have an Iron Man # 1 and u think it's like a 9.2 or 9.0 and it's value  is around 1,400.00 they want u to pay like 100.00 to Certify under da Express Tier. Then u get your book back and to your disbelief it comes back a 7.0   U should have only paid 38.00 to Certify but they don't refund u da difference ...they keep that .....but on da other hand if u submit a book at Economy Tier for 38.00 dollar  and it comes back as a 9.2 then they add the dollar amount to your credit card to bring it up to 100.00 Express Tier. So your dammed if u do and your dammed if u don't. Answer me this question...why would anyone try to b truthful under these circumstances ? Why even bother to try and grade your own book and come up with a cash value when if your wrong they will keep all your extra cash. If u submitted 10 books at 100.00 each ( Express Tier ) based on what u thought there value was and then find out after there grading process u should have only paid 38.00 dollars each ( Economy Tier ) to have graded u just threw 620.00 right down da sewer.....now u might have gotten a slight discount because u submitted 10 books so maybe u get a slight discount so maybe it's 90.00 dollars per book instead of 100.00   that still comes out to 520.00 dollars right down da sewer......... So here's da question why not no matter what u think the value of your comic book is would u ever submit it under any grading tier other than Value which is 27.00   The worst thing that can happen is ( after grading your comic ) they decide hey this book is a 9.2 not a 7.0 so we r gonna charge u 100.00 to certify your book instead of the 27.00 u submitted based on the value that stupid u thought da book was worth. You have 2 b out of your mind to try and be truthful and predict what CGC is gonna grade your book. U can only throw monies away...right ? Why would u tell CGC i think this book is a 9.0 so here's 100.00 dollard to grade your book and they get back to u  and tell u ...wrong it's only a 7.0 but we r gonna keep your extra 72.00 dollars cause your stupid......to bad u didn't submit it at a lower tier. On da other hand if u submit it as Value Tier 27.00...and it comes back as an express Tier 100.00.... they will add 72.00 to your credit card but your getting a 9.0 book and u didn't get ripped off. So am i nuts but doesn't this system sound like they stack da cards against u and punish u if u try 2 b truthful and grade your own books ?

What Say Ye Fellow Comic Book Collectors ?

10 hours ago, Karl Liebl said:

Its a turd...

It's not a turd, it's a nice but not amazing copy of a very important book from what I consider the high point of artistry in comics - FF 39 to 60.

"They found flaws I was not aware of.  I thought the book was good, but its not.."
It's also a learning opportunity.  Most of us have had painful first submissions to CGC.  Grading has changed an awful lot over the last 20 years.  Flaws that don't even register with our old school collecting eyes are hammered by CGC.  Study the book and understand what you missed and incorporate that  into your grading.

8 hours ago, thehumantorch said:

It's not a turd, it's a nice but not amazing copy of a very important book from what I consider the high point of artistry in comics - FF 39 to 60.

"They found flaws I was not aware of.  I thought the book was good, but its not.."
It's also a learning opportunity.  Most of us have had painful first submissions to CGC.  Grading has changed an awful lot over the last 20 years.  Flaws that don't even register with our old school collecting eyes are hammered by CGC.  Study the book and understand what you missed and incorporate that  into your grading.

:golfclap: