• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Your Views: D*ck Dillin
1 1

51 posts in this topic

5 hours ago, aokartman said:

I like my only Dillin page because it features main DC heroes and is representative of the period (not edgy, just belonging).  So, nostalgia, yes, with a nod toward an appreciation of the beauty of "workmanship" type material.

JLA #100 p. 4 Giella inks (1972)

justiceleague.jpg

I understand that. And for that purpose it makes sense. But some of the prices paid in years past are pretty high, I think. They still seem high for the work, but they have come down a little from those levels in some of the recent auctions..

To the OP @Rick2you2, were you a bidder on that Dillin / McLaughlin JLA 1/2 splash with the Phantom Stranger ??

https://comics.ha.com/itm/original-comic-art/-dillin-and-frank-mclaughlin-justice-league-of-america-156-page-15-original-art-dc-1978-/a/121848-11038.s?ic4=ListView-ShortDescription-071515

$3,360 with the buyer's premium.  I like Dillin... but WOW !!

As I watched the auction, it occurred to me that you might be interested since you started the item re: your Phantom Stranger / Tala commission by Howard Chaykin.

11 hours ago, Will_K said:

To the OP @Rick2you2, were you a bidder on that Dillin / McLaughlin JLA 1/2 splash with the Phantom Stranger ??

https://comics.ha.com/itm/original-comic-art/-dillin-and-frank-mclaughlin-justice-league-of-america-156-page-15-original-art-dc-1978-/a/121848-11038.s?ic4=ListView-ShortDescription-071515

$3,360 with the buyer's premium.  I like Dillin... but WOW !!

As I watched the auction, it occurred to me that you might be interested since you started the item re: your Phantom Stranger / Tala commission by Howard Chaykin.

No, and I was shocked by the price which is insane. You may have also seen other people's comments on these boards to the effect that while some people like it, Dillion's work is mostly appreciated for nostalgia reasons. Earlier in the year, there were several HA auctions where similar pieces went for $800-$1,000.

Honestly, the only explanation I can think of other than a bout of temporary insanity (which can happen during bidding) is that someone or someones are rigging this market for his work. 

Maybe I will buy  piece one day if the price is sensible. But not this.

Edited by Rick2you2
Error

On 11/15/2018 at 4:58 PM, zhamlau said:

2. It's Cheap when compared to contemporaries

Update: But maybe no longer as "cheap" as it was a few weeks ago.

36 minutes ago, Rick2you2 said:

You may have also seen other people's comments on these boards to the effect that while some people like it, Dillion's work is mostly appreciated for nostalgia reasons.

I was not interested in the Dillin page referenced above.  But I include myself in weighing Dillin's "artistry vs nostalgia" towards nostalgia.  Some people (including myself) are willing to pay $$$ for nostalgia.  There's a lot of money paying for a lot of artists' work that makes me go "Huh??"

37 minutes ago, Rick2you2 said:

Honestly, the only explanation I can think of other than a bout of temporary insanity (which can happen during bidding) is that someone or someones are rigging this market for his work. 

Considering the sheer amount of Dillin's work, that could be a lot of $$$ in the market.

28 minutes ago, Will_K said:

Update: But maybe no longer as "cheap" as it was a few weeks ago.

I was not interested in the Dillin page referenced above.  But I include myself in weighing Dillin's "artistry vs nostalgia" towards nostalgia.  Some people (including myself) are willing to pay $$$ for nostalgia.  There's a lot of money paying for a lot of artists' work that makes me go "Huh??"

Considering the sheer amount of Dillin's work, that could be a lot of $$$ in the market.

I think it's more than nostalgia. I think this is a rigged market.

This Dillin piece went on HA for $720 on Nov. 14th. It is certainly no worse than the one that just went for over $3,000:

Dick Dillin and Sid Greene Justice League of America #69 Page 22 Original Art (DC, 1969)

There are also some other perfectly "good" pieces in that range, some a little higher or lower. But then, you see this crazy price from August for $16,800.I get the "cool factor" with Amazo, the old history, and a premium, but come on, really?

Dick Dillin and Dick Giordano Justice League of America #112 "War with the One-Man Justice League!" Partial St...

Can there be a rational explanation for the difference in price besides a fixed market or a at least two Buyers who really lost his sanity?

There is also far too much of his stuff on the market, as you pointed out, unless there are hoards held by price-controllers.

Some thing isn't right here.

9 hours ago, Rick2you2 said:

There are also some other perfectly "good" pieces in that range, some a little higher or lower. But then, you see this crazy price from August for $16,800.I get the "cool factor" with Amazo, the old history, and a premium, but come on, really?

Dick Dillin and Dick Giordano Justice League of America #112 "War with the One-Man Justice League!" Partial St...

Can there be a rational explanation for the difference in price besides a fixed market or a at least two Buyers who really lost his sanity?

Just to be clear, the $16.8k is for 19 pages.