• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Question: Best months for selling/buying slabs? Answers inside.
3 3

50 posts in this topic

9 minutes ago, shadroch said:

I'm surprised there were that many ebay sales over 50K.

It's just 22 sales over a four year period, but they had the potential to skew the results (especially $3M for Action #1 in August), so I took them out.

6 minutes ago, shadroch said:

I'm surprised there were that many ebay sales over 50K.

I have to keep reminding myself that he is using a 4 year sample set.

Sort of surprised the totals are that low seeing that a single HA auction could push $5+ million.

If it is over a 4 year sample set, those metrics show about 10K slabbed books sold at $2 million per month on the 'bay. That's about 333 slabs sold at a price of $66,666 per day with an average sale price of $200 a slab.

Not bad chump change for them when you think about their fees.

12 minutes ago, sfcityduck said:

Those numbers are actually pretty frightening.  The average price for a slab is $196.  That's a thin profit margin for folks trying to buy raw, press, and slab.  I wonder how many slabs sell for less than $100 per month, and how many top $500 per month.

Knowing some of the other data that vailantman has supplied about submissions per age of books, my guess would be that the sub-$100 slabs are at least at a 5 to 1 ratio compared to the over-$500 slabs.

I agree, when you put it all together, it is really frightening.

44 minutes ago, valiantman said:

It's just 22 sales over a four year period, but they had the potential to skew the results (especially $3M for Action #1 in August), so I took them out.

So all them thousands of listings over $50,000 for like Youngblood #1 arent gonna sell you're saying?

I wonder why November pops up as such a high number.  Tax time in spring makes sense but November just seems to be kind of bland and people are gearing up for spending all their money on Christmas gifts.

7 minutes ago, 1Cool said:

I wonder why November pops up as such a high number.  Tax time in spring makes sense but November just seems to be kind of bland and people are gearing up for spending all their money on Christmas gifts.

I buy books in november if I am buying gifts due to possible mail delays.

7 minutes ago, 1Cool said:

I expect some have to sell books to buy gifts.   

55 minutes ago, comicdonna said:
1 hour ago, 1Cool said:

I expect some have to sell books to buy gifts.   

Some people give slabs as Christmas gifts too. 

7 hours ago, sfcityduck said:

Those numbers are actually pretty frightening.  The average price for a slab is $196.  That's a thin profit margin for folks trying to buy raw, press, and slab.  I wonder how many slabs sell for less than $100 per month, and how many top $500 per month.

Really? What's a modern cost these days? 5 bucks? Slabbing fees of $20 so that's $25 all in. Not taking into account discounts for slabbing when you are an elite member. $196 average sales price would net you about $170 after fees. Seems ok to me as far as margins go.

6 hours ago, LordRahl said:

Really? What's a modern cost these days? 5 bucks? Slabbing fees of $20 so that's $25 all in. Not taking into account discounts for slabbing when you are an elite member. $196 average sales price would net you about $170 after fees. Seems ok to me as far as margins go.

I don't necessarily disagree with you, but ebay/paypal fees will clear an additional $20, plus there's shipping to CGC, shipping back from CGC, shipping to the buyer, and any fees associated with pressing.  Add in $10 for fast track if you're dealing with moderns where hitting the market early is important.  All things that factor into the cost.

1 hour ago, Turtle said:
7 hours ago, LordRahl said:

I don't necessarily disagree with you, but ebay/paypal fees will clear an additional $20, plus there's shipping to CGC, shipping back from CGC, shipping to the buyer, and any fees associated with pressing.  Add in $10 for fast track if you're dealing with moderns where hitting the market early is important.  All things that factor into the cost.

Exactly. There is a lot more that goes into the cost than the price of the book and the slabbing fee.