• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Campbell art resembling Liefeld
1 1

43 posts in this topic

Range of motion of wolverine's rt arm would be about equal to someone just had elbow replacement Bub.

Collosus tiny head would tend to get knocked off like a zit much as Hulk in many renditions.  Imagine if your fist was 3 times the size of your head how that would change the way you did things-feed yourself for one thing.

Edited by kav

13 minutes ago, kav said:

Range of motion of wolverine's rt arm would be about equal to someone just had elbow replacement Bub.

Collosus tiny head would tend to get knocked off like a zit much as Hulk in many renditions.  Imagine if your fist was 3 times the size of your head how that would change the way you did things-feed yourself for one thing.

The Hulk and characters like him are actually somewhat difficult to draw as you want to convey huge muscle mass but you definitely want to avoid the "pea-head" look. Campbell gave Colossus pea-head.

1 minute ago, Artboy99 said:

The Hulk and characters like him are actually somewhat difficult to draw as you want to convey huge muscle mass but you definitely want to avoid the "pea-head" look. Campbell gave Colossus pea-head.

Pea Head should be avoided at all costs.  You can make someone strong without pea head.  

I do feel like Campbell's art has slacked as of late. All these Campbell exclusive variant covers that get released have characters in the same poses with the same cover layout. 

Edited by deadleg

On 11/16/2018 at 3:13 PM, kav said:

pretty bad but not liefeld level bad.  Its the rare modern comic artist that can draw hair that doesnt look like plastic doll/figurine hair.  Wish I could get em all in a room and say ok guys this is how you draw hair-

Recent really good example of a bad example of how so many modern comic artists just cant draw hair for the life of em:

69879844_882416255471326_5932274907307048960_n.jpg

7 minutes ago, JohnFranklin said:

I'd say the background characters do a little bit.

Liefeld pats himself on the back when he manages partial feet like this.

So many 90’s artists look so much like Liefeld I’d have to check the credits to see they weren’t. Some popular and well liked artists. Liefeld is popular to make fun of, he’s also typical of 90’s super hero comics. Probably because the entire industry tried to be him for half a decade

3 minutes ago, dupont2005 said:

So many 90’s artists look so much like Liefeld I’d have to check the credits to see they weren’t. Some popular and well liked artists. Liefeld is popular to make fun of, he’s also typical of 90’s super hero comics. Probably because the entire industry tried to be him for half a decade

yep.  And a good majority of current artists also look the same as each other.  Sad.  Even back when Stan Lee encouraged people to draw like Kirby, they were still iconically different eg Barry Windsor Newton Smith.  Not so today.

Edited by kav

2 minutes ago, kav said:

yep.  And a good majority of current artists also look the same as each other.  Sad.  Even back when Stan Lee encouraged people to draw like Kirby, they were still iconically different eg Barry Windsor Newton Smith.  Not so today.

I haven’t looked at a Marvel comic since Spider-Man Noir I think? And before that would have been the 90’s

Just now, dupont2005 said:

I haven’t looked at a Marvel comic since Spider-Man Noir I think? And before that would have been the 90’s

I flip thru em sometimes on the comic rack and its a bunch of clone artists doing the same old ****.  Or I'll see books posted on the forums.

I liked JSC’s art in the 90s to early 2000s, but he’s phoned it in with many of his covers for years, particularly with very repetitious female figure work and a more exaggerated style.

Edited by Ken Aldred

On 11/16/2018 at 10:45 PM, NamesJay said:

Is it just me or does this remind anyone of Liefeld?

I'd say no in the main, but there is the tiniest hint of Liefeld face in Conan's expression which I think may be the trigger. 

49 minutes ago, Get Marwood & I said:

I'd say no in the main, but there is the tiniest hint of Liefeld face in Conan's expression which I think may be the trigger. 

Nowhere near angry or shouty enough. Just looks a bit annoyed.

Edited by Ken Aldred