• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

First comic book cover appearance of The Phantom?
1 1

10 posts in this topic

Hey.

Does anyone know when The Phantom made his first appearance on the cover of a comic book? I know that he first appeared in newspaper comic strips in 1936 and that his first comic book appearance was in Ace Comics #11 in 1938. And Feature Books #20 is listed as The Phantom #1.  I can't seem to find a reference as to his first appearance on the cover of a comic book. I searched in Overstreet and through google.

2 hours ago, Heronext said:

By golly there is an Ace Comics 11 in the current ComicLink auction

Wow, you must mean this one here then:

RAD2AD3E20181024_171012.jpg

Truly a real tough book to find and already at double condition guide price.  :cloud9:

Will not be surprised to see this copy here move up quite a bit more before it's all said and done.  Looks like somebody managed to get a steal of a deal on the CGC 7.5 highest graded copy for only $1,673 on Heritage back in 2010.  :takeit:

12 hours ago, lou_fine said:

Truly a real tough book to find and already at double condition guide price.  :cloud9:

Will not be surprised to see this copy here move up quite a bit more before it's all said and done.  Looks like somebody managed to get a steal of a deal on the CGC 7.5 highest graded copy for only $1,673 on Heritage back in 2010.  :takeit:

Wow! Looks like Overstreet was way off on this one! I wish I had picked up a copy back in the day when I was still collecting. I''ve got a low-grade Feature Book #20. I was in another forum trying to get an idea of it's value as I thought it was also underrated. I'm gonna go ahead and slab it and take a chance at auction. It may have restoration, can't really tell, but I figure what the heck, I think I paid around 20 bucks for it back in the '80s.:smile::wishluck:  

On 11/17/2018 at 12:54 AM, lou_fine said:

Is the auction over for this comic?

35 minutes ago, captain_em said:

Is the auction over for this comic?

Yes, looks like it ended up selling for $4,577 or almost 3X condition guide price:

http://www.comiclink.com/auctions/item.asp?back=%2FAUCTIONS%2FDEFAULT.ASP%3FFOCUSED%3D1%26x%3D30%26y%3D13%26pg%3D39%23Item_1286076&id=1286076&itemType=0

Not sure if this is a soft or strong price for this book, considering how very seldom a copy ever comes to market. hm  (shrug)

52 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

Yes, looks like it ended up selling for $4,577 or almost 3X condition guide price:

http://www.comiclink.com/auctions/item.asp?back=%2FAUCTIONS%2FDEFAULT.ASP%3FFOCUSED%3D1%26x%3D30%26y%3D13%26pg%3D39%23Item_1286076&id=1286076&itemType=0

Not sure if this is a soft or strong price for this book, considering how very seldom a copy ever comes to market. hm  (shrug)

Its better than the ten cents that it first went for :smile:

46 minutes ago, comicjack said:
1 hour ago, lou_fine said:

Its better than the ten cents that it first went for :smile:

Well, unlike back issues of recent MA books where I would never even think of paying cover price for them, I'll have you know that I am more than willing to dig deep into my pockets and pay full cover price for these GA beauties like Ace 11.  :takeit: