• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Having a hard time believing this is a 9.8
3 3

46 posts in this topic

Reholder does not get regraded unless there is obvious damage.  This case is fairly new and there are no cracks at all.  The comic is centered as well so no SCS.  

If a comic shows SCS and damage is noted or if the slab itself is damaged significantly, then CGC may regrade it.  I’ve seen cracked slabs get reholder in the past with no issue and same grade.  

Reholder is only $15 for most comics, which is much less than the expected grading fee for this particular comic.

2 hours ago, SBRobin said:

I could have sworn when you reholdered they evaluate it to make sure the grade should remain the same. Are you guys saying they always keep the grade on a reholder? What if the book gets significant SCS during shipment? CGC won't say "this isn't a 9.8 any more, let's drop to a 9.6?"

Thats what I was thinking.  Or if there was a mistake and an obvious 7.5 got a 9.8-would they just go well we already called this a 9.8 we have to honor that-

5 hours ago, kav said:

Thats what I was thinking.  Or if there was a mistake and an obvious 7.5 got a 9.8-would they just go well we already called this a 9.8 we have to honor that-

I’ve had a friend reholder 100s of comic.  He has only had one come back a lower grade and that one had SCS so he expected it.  Others he expected to drop grade did not. 

I’m not saying lower grades cannot happen, but the odds appear to be very low.  You have to remember that grading scores are reviewed by I believe three individuals so a re-grading without obvious damage is unlikely in my opinion.

On 11/17/2018 at 2:37 PM, SBRobin said:

I could have sworn when you reholdered they evaluate it to make sure the grade should remain the same. Are you guys saying they always keep the grade on a reholder? What if the book gets significant SCS during shipment? CGC won't say "this isn't a 9.8 any more, let's drop to a 9.6?"

Last I heard CGC does examine each reholder to make sure the book is the correct grade.

On 11/16/2018 at 9:03 PM, Darxlot said:

Any thoughts on the grading would be appreciated.

CGC 9.8 books have defects and many of the defects you have pictured (like the color loss on the black areas of the back cover) are generally common on that book.

On 11/17/2018 at 11:54 AM, Darxlot said:

Yes after signing a comic is regraded.  Last grading was 12/2017.  Going to send off for reholder today.  

It was likely a solid 9.8 originally and has incurred minor wear from three separate signings.  The comic appears to have been graded four times so far.  After the reholder, I should have a better idea if the comic is a soft/gifted 9.8 or not.  It’s signed by nearly everyone on the ASM team and I really like the notation “We are Venom!”.

TAT is about 30 days now so hopefully it looks better afterwards.  Will let everyone know when I get it back.

I'm sorry, I must have missed something. Why are you reholdering this comic?

On 11/19/2018 at 10:48 AM, Jerkfro said:

I'm sorry, I must have missed something. Why are you reholdering this comic?

He mentioned he's reholdering it to have those pieces of lint removed from the inner well so the book doesn't appear to have spine ticks and so he doesn't have a potential buyer question whether it is actually a 9.8. I personally think he should leave it as is, rather than risking what I'm assuming is a $3000 book coming back regraded as a 9.6. 

5 minutes ago, SBRobin said:

He mentioned he's reholdering it to have those pieces of lint removed from the inner well so the book doesn't appear to have spine ticks and so he doesn't have a potential buyer question whether it is actually a 9.8. I personally think he should leave it as is, rather than risking what I'm assuming is a $3000 book coming back regraded as a 9.6. 

absolutely would not take that risk over some lint.  

scenario 1: comes back a 9.6

scenario 2: buyer thinks its spine tix, you hand em magnifying glass.

Edited by kav

19 minutes ago, FlyingDonut said:

I'm pretty sure that's a CGC 9.8. The way to tell is to look at the large number on the upper left hand corner of the slab.

Nevertheless, I would stay take this lowly graded CGC 7.5 book over that uber HG 9.8:

all4.825a.jpg

As the title of the thread says.........Having a Hard Time Believing This Is (Only) a 7.5.  :luhv:  :takeit:

Edited by lou_fine

Would definitely want to see the back cover of that All-American #61 before I made any assumptions as to whether or not it is actually a 7.5. Very sharp presenting copy though.  

Edited by deadleg

10 minutes ago, deadleg said:

Would definitely want to see the back cover of that All-American #61 before I made any assumptions as to whether or not it is actually a 7.5. Very sharp presenting copy though.  

Ask and ye shall receive:

all4.825b.jpg

Even with the obvious discoloring around the edges, it still looks pretty nice for a CGC 7.5 graded copy, especially considering it's almost 75 years old.   I would still take it.  :cloud9:

Edited by lou_fine

2 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

all4.825b.jpg

Even with the obvious discoloring around the edges, it still looks pretty nice for a CGC 7.5 graded copy, especially considering it's almost 75 years old.  :cloud9:

Thanks Lou! I give you props. That's one of the nicest All-American 61s I have ever seen! 

Edited by deadleg

19 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

all4.825b.jpg

Even with the obvious discoloring around the edges, it still looks pretty nice for a CGC 7.5 graded copy, especially considering it's almost 75 years old.   I would still take it.  :cloud9:

Would definitely want to see the interior first few pages of that baby. :whistle:

19 minutes ago, Wolverinex said:

Sadly, it can be so subjective.

yep you have to be objective about that

1 minute ago, Hudson said:

Of course if you keep em raw, you never have to worry about this.  2c

yep I like my books sushi style