• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Question with AMAZING SPIDER-MAN #361

19 posts in this topic

I'm new to collecting comics, so I apologize in advance if this is a stupid question.

On " The Amazing Spider-Man #361" first appearance of Carnage. The bottom left of the book, one issue has a barcode and another has 30th anniversary of spider-man. I believe the earlier prints came with the 30th anniversary image, the other came out later on when they shipped to stores ect.

How much does this matter for collecting? Is one more rare than the other?

Thank you!

18 hours ago, Pboned said:

I believe the earlier prints

Both versions were printed at the same time, but the newsstand system didn't view the distribution of comics as urgent/important relative to their other items.

17 hours ago, mr_highgrade said:

Some newsies demand a slight premium.

This not being one of them because the issue was instantly hot and newsstands were plundered for copies, with some people (not mentioning any names :baiting:) buying large quantities.

6 hours ago, Schmakt said:

I always wanted the version without the barcode, as I guess most kids did

Which is irrelevant unless they had equal access to comic shops and newsstand outlets and could simply choose where to make their purchases

3 hours ago, Lazyboy said:

Both versions were printed at the same time, but the newsstand system didn't view the distribution of comics as urgent/important relative to their other items.

This not being one of them because the issue was instantly hot and newsstands were plundered for copies, with some people (not mentioning any names :baiting:) buying large quantities.

Which is irrelevant unless they had equal access to comic shops and newsstand outlets and could simply choose where to make their purchases

:acclaim:

IMG_2260.JPG

Since we are talking about ASM 361 I've got a question. How harsh is CGC on the production ding/minor tear that occurs on the bottom of the front cover. I've seen 9.8's with the defect so I'm wondering does CGC let this one through often.

LIke this one, on Carnage's knee.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Amazing-Spider-Man-361-First-Carnage-CGC-9-8-2001215006-/143031527917?hash=item214d57e9ed%3Ag%3Ap3EAAOSwuvtb8kTI&nma=true&si=BpxyKj3yx7JKUClQFZLaeQSwjpc%3D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

1 hour ago, Rip said:

Since we are talking about ASM 361 I've got a question. How harsh is CGC on the production ding/minor tear that occurs on the bottom of the front cover. I've seen 9.8's with the defect so I'm wondering does CGC let this one through often.

LIke this one, on Carnage's knee.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Amazing-Spider-Man-361-First-Carnage-CGC-9-8-2001215006-/143031527917?hash=item214d57e9ed%3Ag%3Ap3EAAOSwuvtb8kTI&nma=true&si=BpxyKj3yx7JKUClQFZLaeQSwjpc%3D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

Well, if that one has it then I guess they're not that harsh? Thanks for posting this BTW; I have a McFarlane issue that appears to be about a 9.6 but has one of these, and feedback I've gotten here suggested CGC would drop it to at least a 9.2 with it.

On 11/17/2018 at 4:03 PM, Pboned said:

I appreciate the information from everyone. Do you guys have a preference for this comic?

Yes. Perfect wrap and no production tears on the bottom edge.

And Direct, of course, since I'm not a stripe fetishist and barcodes are :sick:.

I prefer newsstand. This book brings a modest premium in newsstand, most prevalent in 9.8’s.

I own a 9.8 newsstand with very slight misrap but no bottom tear. I’m happy with it.

Another consideration with ASM361: The 2nd print (silver background, direct only.) These are scarce relative to the first prints and much cheaper to purchase.  It’s not that the later printing happened months or years later either; they share same month of publication. This book was obviously rejected by the speculators when new.

1st print has just over 10,000 on census.

2nd print has just over 600, yet already holds 50% of 1st print’s FMV.

2 hours ago, Joosh said:

I prefer newsstand. This book brings a modest premium in newsstand, most prevalent in 9.8’s.

I own a 9.8 newsstand with very slight misrap but no bottom tear. I’m happy with it.

Another consideration with ASM361: The 2nd print (silver background, direct only.) These are scarce relative to the first prints and much cheaper to purchase.  It’s not that the later printing happened months or years later either; they share same month of publication. This book was obviously rejected by the speculators when new.

1st print has just over 10,000 on census.

2nd print has just over 600, yet already holds 50% of 1st print’s FMV.

Reprints in general weren't highly considered collectible, which is why it's tougher to find them in high grade compared to first prints. They became the reader copy, so the first prints weren't damaged.