• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bill Maher on comics and Stan.
2 2

146 posts in this topic

Maher has bemoaned the volume of comic book movies and, yes, in some sense they muscle other stuff off the movie screen. My wife cannot stand them either (other than wonder woman) and it isn't like she is not into GOT, WD, Supernatural, etc., just hates super heroes.

Eh.  He's a TV shock jock...like all extreme right and left wing television.  Say something controversial, get headlines, ratings go up.

Good or bad, ratings are ratings.

I read the title, didn't read the article.  I already know its not worth my time to click on it.

4 minutes ago, jsilverjanet said:

what's worse someones honest opinion where we disagree or the hypocrisy of what we want to hear?

hm

What's worse than both is making ignorant comments from the privilege of the bully pulpit, which is what Maher did. 

I have no problem with the "flamethrower for the left" shtick; both sides of the politicotainment industry have them. Sad that this journalism today, but that's a whole other ball o' wax.

He kinda needlessly worked Stan and comics in there to take a jab at his favorite target. He was reaching, and his understanding of comics is lacking. I think that's the kernel of what annoyed the annoyed.

I really don't see what's so offensive to cause this type of reaction. He said something we disagree with, he insulted comics and people who read them. People in many positions constantly do that in this day and age.  "Lord Bill"? Ignore him and move on. Better things to focus on expend energy

My gripe is we are going to hold people like Bill Maher accountable (a comedian on TV mind you) then let's hold um people in more important positions more accountable when they say ignorant things. But we don't do we.

3 minutes ago, jsilverjanet said:

My gripe is we are going to hold people like Bill Maher accountable (a comedian on TV mind you) then let's hold um people in more important positions more accountable when they say ignorant things. But we don't do we. 

and if you are one of the few that do, then good for you. But I suspect many here don't.

9 minutes ago, thehumantorch said:

Aside from disagreeing will Maher I also think his comments exhibit a clear lack of class.  Attacking a man and his work after he dies is a tasteless and dirty move.

From the article that was posted, if I missed more i apologize ""Deep, deep mourning for a man who inspired millions to, I don’t know, watch a movie, I guess"

it's ignorant I agree but tasteles and dirty? I don't see it. Maybe I'm being insensitive. If I am I'm sorry.

I feel bad for his passing and I appreciate his contribution to comics. In fact many before his passing here felt differently about Stan (see Kirby). However some people (not here) tend to overreact in general when a celebrity passes. I can't imagine feeling a deep feeling of loss for someone I didn't know personally. Again I appreciate his contributions and his impact on something I love but I also feel he lived a good life, a long life and don't necessarily feel the despair that I believe Bill was commenting on. I can't tell someone how to mourn or how much to mourn but I find it a little surprising how people react to these types of things (people who overreact).

Edited by jsilverjanet

1 minute ago, jsilverjanet said:

From the article that was posted, if I missed more i apologize ""Deep, deep mourning for a man who inspired millions to, I don’t know, watch a movie, I guess"

it's ignorant I agree

Ignorant and I'd suggest cowardly, attack a man who recently died and can't defend himself.  And I find it ironic that this is coming from a man who's spent his life entertaining people through comedy and TV broadcasting, both essentially entertainment and arguably a similar wasteland to comics.

I recently read a book about the first comic convention, NYC 1964, and of the sixty some attendees the vast, vast majority ended up graduating from college and having successful careers as dentists, lawyer, doctors, etc.  There's no proof I've ever seen that comics harm readers, affect their maturity, or lead to any kind of development issues.  I'd argue instead that most comic readers belong to nerd culture and are more likely to read many other forms of literature and are more likely to have higher IQs and have successful careers.

4 minutes ago, thehumantorch said:

Ignorant and I'd suggest cowardly, attack a man who recently died and can't defend himself.  And I find it ironic that this is coming from a man who's spent his life entertaining people through comedy and TV broadcasting, both essentially entertainment and arguably a similar wasteland to comics.

I recently read a book about the first comic convention, NYC 1964, and of the sixty some attendees the vast, vast majority ended up graduating from college and having successful careers as dentists, lawyer, doctors, etc.  There's no proof I've ever seen that comics harm readers, affect their maturity, or lead to any kind of development issues.  I'd argue instead that most comic readers belong to nerd culture and are more likely to read many other forms of literature and are more likely to have higher IQs and have successful careers.

I agree about the social impact. I really think that many of the things that I do that somewhat resemble something heroic come from reading Spider-man at a young age and then discovering (at a young age) that my name (Hector) means Heroic. Those two had a profound impact on how I would react in certain situations.

I wonder if I would be more moody had I read Batman? hm

2 minutes ago, jsilverjanet said:

I agree about the social impact. I really think that many of the things that I do that somewhat resemble something heroic come from reading Spider-man at a young age and then discovering (at a young age) that my name (Hector) means Heroic. Those two had a profound impact on how I would react in certain situations.

I wonder if I would be more moody had I read Batman? hm

Didn't realize Hector meant heroic, how cool.  My last name means 'keeper of the royal cows' , beat that...

4 minutes ago, thehumantorch said:

Bill is not unlike many others who just have a shallow dismissive view of comics. I think they confuse them with cartoons or traditional newspaper comic strips. They might change their tune if just bothered to give these stories & characters a chance