• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bill Maher on comics and Stan.
2 2

146 posts in this topic

19 minutes ago, thehumantorch said:

Didn't realize Hector meant heroic, how cool.  My last name means 'keeper of the royal cows' , beat that...

It doesn’t :boo:

i don’t know why I thought that. Now that I look it up it says holding fast and also Bully :tonofbricks:

Overall, I am okay with his take on many things but, in my opinion he get's it wrong on a number of things, e.g., religion and the military,  and I think he is wrong with his comments for which Stan Lee's passing has served as a catalyst. 

In all likelihood he's frustrated that he isn't a avid comic collector.  :devil:

1 hour ago, Schmakt said:

well... not sure if I'm playing devil's advocate or just trying to even things out, but I - for the most part - like Bill Mahr.  I don't like everything (Religilous was terrible... just from a logical/historical standpoint, I think), but in general I like him.  The left needs someone to speak as loudly and angrily about the other side as the right has.  I hate that this seems to be the state of our politics, but it does seem, from my point of view, that there is a lot more volume from one side than there is the other, so I'm down to have someone who believes they always know what's right and is willing to say it loudly and not back down...

Have you never seen MSNBC or CNN? 

I remember back when Kurt Cobain killed himself, political host John McLaughlin dismissed his importance on his TV show and I thought, "Well... you're not exactly the guy he was here for. Dunce." That was pretty much it. 

Feel pretty much the same here.

Mainstream comics ARE dumb, but they're not for Bill, so why is he even weighing in? Hee-Haw ran for 22 years on syndicated TV, did IT make the world smarter? 

Stan made a lot of people happy in the entertainment business. If people want to remember him for it, why not just let it be. Plenty of worse sruff in the world to pick on.

1 hour ago, reptilekingdie said:

He has to be controversial and he supports pedophilia, he's not worth responding to.

He supports pedophilia? That's far more loathsome than taking misdirected potshots at a dead guy's popularity/celebrity/cultural contributions.

Loathsome on the part of his employers as well, if this is actually the case. @jsilverjanet talked about many not holding the right folks accountable; geez that's a widespread societal problem. I do suspect many don't know how (I often do not, in any meaningful way in a large and legally convoluted society) but I also think many are far too willing to look the other way when a buck is at stake.

Again, first I've heard this about him, but IF it's true it's a case in point: there's far worse things about this man than comments that some constituencies (in this case comics fans) can construe as offensive. 

2 hours ago, reptilekingdie said:

He has to be controversial and he supports pedophilia, he's not worth responding to.

Several board members agree with his statements based on the thread that was in the water cooler about a female teacher and young male student

17 minutes ago, Readcomix said:

He supports pedophilia? That's far more loathsome than taking misdirected potshots at a dead guy's popularity/celebrity/cultural contributions.

Loathsome on the part of his employers as well, if this is actually the case. @jsilverjanet talked about many not holding the right folks accountable; geez that's a widespread societal problem. I do suspect many don't know how (I often do not, in any meaningful way in a large and legally convoluted society) but I also think many are far too willing to look the other way when a buck is at stake.

Again, first I've heard this about him, but IF it's true it's a case in point: there's far worse things about this man than comments that some constituencies (in this case comics fans) can construe as offensive. 

see above. When that thread was up I said it wasn’t right whether the student is female or male. I disagree with both Maher and with the boardies who felt it wasn’t a “big deal”

Edited by jsilverjanet

1 minute ago, jsilverjanet said:

Several board members agree with his statements based on the thread that was in the water cooler about a female teacher and young male student

see above. When that thread was up I said it wasn’t right whether the student is female or male. I disagree with both Maher and with the boardies who felt it wasn’t a “big deal”

Thanks for the background, Hector! That one was totally new to me, hadn't heard it before. But then again, apropos of your chart posted in this thread, there's so much noise to signal ratio in the "news" today that I try to keep a low information diet. 

He is the typical personality type that "If I don't understand it, then it must suck", mentality.  Quite frankly, anybody failing to realize the impact on Pop Culture that Stan Lee had, have their heads up their butts.  Nobody will remember Bill Maher when he kicks the bucket. 

All I can say is this: When John Lennon was killed in 1980, I wept, when Jack Kirby died in 1994, I wept, this past week when Stan Lee died, I wept. 

The common thread of success these all had that I respect is a quote by Thomas Edison that goes something like this: "What it boils down to is one per cent inspiration and ninety-nine percent perspiration." 

Regarding Bill Maher's ignorant remarks regarding the comic book world, I find it really ironic that his comment ".....ruining American's minds and not allowing them to grow up" could aptly describe his own show, with his lazy political comedy. When Bill opens his mouth I'm reminded of a loose bowel movement.