• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bill Maher on comics and Stan.
2 2

146 posts in this topic

I’m not sure Bill Maher’s ignorant words themselves are what bother people... it’s just that we’re hyper sensitive to ANY criticism of Stan at this point.

Let’s face it, we all grew up in a world where, for the most part, we were made to be kind of ashamed that we loved comics.  And while we shared our love with some of of other comic-loving friends, it was something you otherwise kept to yourself.   Slowly in the last 10-15 years its become more mainstream with all the movies and whatnot, maybe even “cool” I guess (even though the culture has just been appropriated by Hollywood) but still, there’s no question we are all still sensitive to the stings of the time when we felt we had to keep it to ourselves as we got older.  Stuff like Maher’s comments just brings all that back up, in a bad way. 

As for Stan himself, and how there were some here in our community who certainly had a lot of negative things to say about him while he was alive and seemed to, perhaps, changed their tune now that he’s passed and being criticized by others?  I don’t think it’s hypocritical at all.  Honestly, brothers and sisters fight all the time... but they will ALWAYS defend each other when people outside of the family criticize their siblings.  That’s what this stuff feels like. 

10 hours ago, fmaz said:

I’m not sure Bill Maher’s ignorant words themselves are what bother people... it’s just that we’re hyper sensitive to ANY criticism of Stan at this point.

Let’s face it, we all grew up in a world where, for the most part, we were made to be kind of ashamed that we loved comics.  And while we shared our love with some of of other comic-loving friends, it was something you otherwise kept to yourself.   Slowly in the last 10-15 years its become more mainstream with all the movies and whatnot, maybe even “cool” I guess (even though the culture has just been appropriated by Hollywood) but still, there’s no question we are all still sensitive to the stings of the time when we felt we had to keep it to ourselves as we got older.  Stuff like Maher’s comments just brings all that back up, in a bad way. 

As for Stan himself, and how there were some here in our community who certainly had a lot of negative things to say about him while he was alive and seemed to, perhaps, changed their tune now that he’s passed and being criticized by others?  I don’t think it’s hypocritical at all.  Honestly, brothers and sisters fight all the time... but they will ALWAYS defend each other when people outside of the family criticize their siblings.  That’s what this stuff feels like. 

Come on now, I was as nerdy as they made them back in the 70s and even a Marvel-Zombie like me knew Stan as a cheesy-cornball-huckster first and foremost. Nothing wrong with acknowledging that Stan was shill-tastic.

19 minutes ago, mrwoogieman said:

Come on now, I was as nerdy as they made them back in the 70s and even a Marvel-Zombie like me knew Stan as a cheesy-cornball-huckster first and foremost. Nothing wrong with acknowledging that Stan was shill-tastic.

I see a lot of parallels between Stan and Chuck Rozanski.  The industry would be very different without either of their historical influences, but neither of them is or ever was great without combining someone else's greatness into the mix.

2 hours ago, Transplant said:
12 hours ago, NamesJay said:

Just take Bill Maher, Michael Moore, and Al Sharpton to the inner cities of Chicago and be done with them all.

WTF?

Oddly enough, that was the same exact thought I had when I read that post.

2 hours ago, mrwoogieman said:

Oh yeah, what I'm saying is... it's complete fine for those of use who love comics and know the WHOLE Stan (good and bad) to point out BOTH sides of the man... but when people who don't know anything about him like Bill Maher step up and take shots, those feel like cheap shots.  That's kind of what I mean in comparing it to the way you can tease or criticize your friends or family members, but you don't like when outsiders do it.  That's all.  Certainly not painting Stan as anything other the was.

1 hour ago, Pontoon said:

Oddly enough, that was the same exact thought I had when I read that post.

I'm not sure but i think it's a reference to the gun violence in Chicago. I don't know if that was his point but this kind of thing of wishing physical harm or worse on people you don't agree with is poisoning our union. This kind of bitterness is not sustainable!

BTW, Maher still has occasional episodes of verbal flatulence :nyah:

Hopelessly off the mark here, but I have nothing against Bill Maher generally. Surprised he said this, given how the medium's message from the late 60s onwards was one of idealism, inclusivity and hope for the future, and that was owed in no small part to Mr. Lee. Granted these days that message is often lost, but it's still there.

Wonder if Hitch would've piped up and said anything - to be honest I doubt he would've mentioned it.