• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bill Maher on comics and Stan.
2 2

146 posts in this topic

When people pass on like Lee, Kirby, Lennon and Harrison, etc., I can't help but get a little emotional. These people left us with something that added to our lives. We can enjoy, appreciate and even be inspired by it ourselves over and over again. Bill Maher not so much.

16 hours ago, letsgrumble said:

twitter-realstan.thumb.png.d0a9024a4513a64dc16ac5c6b3905521.png

realstan.thumb.png.9459ad8d2eb73626310b2a14a3c46062.png

I just saw that today, and Team Stan expressed my feelings wholeheartedly.   I guess he felt different about comics when he was originally going to be in Iron Man 3, but he got deleted.

We should all remember Bill is a comedian first and foremost. He is not some intellectual dispelling wisdom on all of us. He is a self admitted heavy drug user who can only marginally read. His opinion on Stan carries no more weight than that homeless guy trying to discuss the pros and cons on flinging poo. 

2 minutes ago, batman_fan said:

We should all remember Bill is a comedian first and foremost. He is not some intellectual dispelling wisdom on all of us. He is a self admitted heavy drug user who can only marginally read. His opinion on Stan carries no more weight than that homeless guy trying to discuss the pros and cons on flinging poo. 

This is an important debate, though.

18 hours ago, fastballspecial said:

It was insensitive. He did it to grab headlines and it worked. 

Exactly! As the saying goes "any publicity is good publicity". 

However, my respect of Bill Maher has gone out the window. He will probably lose a lot of fans due to his comment but that's the price he pays. In the long run, nobody will remember Bill Maher, so sad.

1 minute ago, batman_fan said:

100% agree. I have always found an overhand technique superior to an underhand technique 

Oh, technique? I was thinking For Throwing Poo vs Against Throwing Poo. I'm all for it. I find a 'curve ball' technique can really throw someone aloof and off-balance, both physically and psychologically.

On 11/18/2018 at 10:04 PM, fmaz said:

I’m not sure Bill Maher’s ignorant words themselves are what bother people... it’s just that we’re hyper sensitive to ANY criticism of Stan at this point.

Let’s face it, we all grew up in a world where, for the most part, we were made to be kind of ashamed that we loved comics.  And while we shared our love with some of of other comic-loving friends, it was something you otherwise kept to yourself.   Slowly in the last 10-15 years its become more mainstream with all the movies and whatnot, maybe even “cool” I guess (even though the culture has just been appropriated by Hollywood) but still, there’s no question we are all still sensitive to the stings of the time when we felt we had to keep it to ourselves as we got older.  Stuff like Maher’s comments just brings all that back up, in a bad way. 

As for Stan himself, and how there were some here in our community who certainly had a lot of negative things to say about him while he was alive and seemed to, perhaps, changed their tune now that he’s passed and being criticized by others?  I don’t think it’s hypocritical at all.  Honestly, brothers and sisters fight all the time... but they will ALWAYS defend each other when people outside of the family criticize their siblings.  That’s what this stuff feels like. 

When Bill was a kid, the 1950s congressional hearing were still fresh and a big factor in the minds of parents and older siblings.  Many parents didn't want kids reading comics, and as a result of all that the comics of the late 50s early 60s were very bland and, for the most part, kids' stuff.   You would think that most people in the entertainment industry had read comics but up through the 80s and 90s, a lot of them were very disdainful of comics.  Most comedians of the 1950s and early 60s were disdainful of comics, and people who idolized those comedians, people like Maher, thought the same.   What's ironic now is that talking this way makes Maher sound like an old man who can only think about something the way he did when he was little, with no regard for how things might have changed and no willingness to consider new information -- all of which, Maher rightly mocks in others.  As for the oddball idea that comics created any political ills of today, it could be said that things Maher indulges in are much better things to point a finger at.   He doesn't read comics but he does read sports and can quote the stats of players in a way that is no more "adult" than a comic fan who can tell Spider-man's Landed-Punch-Average against left-handed super-villains.  Following franchise sports teams as an obsession is no rational way defensable as being more "adult" than reading comics or watching superhero films.   (It's a freakin game and you're not even playing it; you're watching other people play, and they're pretending to fight over possession of a freakin ball!)   And it could and perhaps should be said that the extreme tribalism that franchise sports celebrates (my team is great no matter what and the other team is the devil) plays a huge part in the political divide.    And if you're looking for reasons why the 2016 election went the way it did, look not at comics but perhaps at how the mocking of religious people has almost certainly undermined the ranks of the religious left.   

2 hours ago, batman_fan said:

1 hour ago, batman_fan said:

100% agree. I have always found an overhand technique superior to an underhand technique 

1 hour ago, TwoPiece said:

Oh, technique? I was thinking For Throwing Poo vs Against Throwing Poo. I'm all for it. I find a 'curve ball' technique can really throw someone aloof and off-balance, both physically and psychologically.

Well I think throwing Pooh always has a good form.

poohfootball.gif

Wait, it's not Pooh? You mean real Poo?  Never mind.  :sorry:

Edited by toro

5 hours ago, bluechip said:

When Bill was a kid, the 1950s congressional hearing were still fresh and a big factor in the minds of parents and older siblings.  Many parents didn't want kids reading comics, and as a result of all that the comics of the late 50s early 60s were very bland and, for the most part, kids' stuff.   You would think that most people in the entertainment industry had read comics but up through the 80s and 90s, a lot of them were very disdainful of comics.  Most comedians of the 1950s and early 60s were disdainful of comics, and people who idolized those comedians, people like Maher, thought the same.   What's ironic now is that talking this way makes Maher sound like an old man who can only think about something the way he did when he was little, with no regard for how things might have changed and no willingness to consider new information -- all of which, Maher rightly mocks in others.  As for the oddball idea that comics created any political ills of today, it could be said that things Maher indulges in are much better things to point a finger at.   He doesn't read comics but he does read sports and can quote the stats of players in a way that is no more "adult" than a comic fan who can tell Spider-man's Landed-Punch-Average against left-handed super-villains.  Following franchise sports teams as an obsession is no rational way defensable as being more "adult" than reading comics or watching superhero films.   (It's a freakin game and you're not even playing it; you're watching other people play, and they're pretending to fight over possession of a freakin ball!)   And it could and perhaps should be said that the extreme tribalism that franchise sports celebrates (my team is great no matter what and the other team is the devil) plays a huge part in the political divide.    And if you're looking for reasons why the 2016 election went the way it did, look not at comics but perhaps at how the mocking of religious people has almost certainly undermined the ranks of the religious left.   

Maher was 10 in 1966. He was right there for prime marvel. He just did not/does not care for it.

8 hours ago, TwoPiece said:
8 hours ago, batman_fan said:

This is an important debate, though.

I would dispute the comedian part. :cool:

2 hours ago, the blob said:

Maher was 10 in 1966. He was right there for prime marvel. He just did not/does not care for it.

Because he couldn't read?  

2 minutes ago, batman_fan said:
6 minutes ago, lizards2 said:

I would dispute the comedian part. :cool:

I would definitely have a harder time justifying him as a comedian than you would have arguing why he isn't  lol

I'm lost..., but hosed..., so I declare you the winner! ^^

Actually, I don't get your statement at all. hm

2 minutes ago, lizards2 said:

I meant I would have a harder time defending Bill being a comedian than you would have defending why he isn't a comedian.

1 minute ago, batman_fan said:
4 minutes ago, lizards2 said:

I meant I would have a harder time defending Bill being a comedian than you would have defending why he isn't a comedian.

(thumbsu  OK - I get that.  I'm old and dense. :preach: