• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bill Maher on comics and Stan.
2 2

146 posts in this topic

2 minutes ago, batman_fan said:
4 minutes ago, lizards2 said:

(thumbsu  OK - I get that.  I'm old and dense. :preach:

you are in very good company :idea:

Meet you for oatmeal on Sunday!  :D

1 minute ago, batman_fan said:
5 minutes ago, lizards2 said:

Meet you for oatmeal on Sunday!  :D

I'll bring the prunes !

I can't think of anything prunier!

Image result for BILL MAHER PRUNES JPG

3 hours ago, the blob said:

Maher was 10 in 1966. He was right there for prime marvel. He just did not/does not care for it.

Not everybody who was 10 in 1966 went for Marvel.  I would be surprised to hear that he ever read a Marvel comic.   Marvel was little known at the time and comics in general were still looked upon by many as either pabulum for single digit kids or a corrupting influence on hormonal tweens.   They were looked down upon by the majority of people, certainly most adults, because Marvel was the exception, not the rule.   Praise for comics by adults was mostly limited to condescending approval of the camp factor.  In the 80s I recall people who worked in comedy pretending they barely recognized the name Spider-man (if at all) and didn't even know the name "Marvel" (one comedy pro that I recall who'd be a contemporary of Maher's disdainfully called it "Marvy comics").  In the 80s if you were in a group of comedy pros (especially those who wrote/performed pseudo-intellectual monologues) and you mentioned a liking for comics the odds were you'd be roundly mocked.

Edited by bluechip

I get that comics tried to tackle some heavier issues in the 60's and here and there tackled a serious issue over the decades following it... but... in general, comic book stories are about as vapid and simple as it gets. Even when 'real' writers like Neil Gaiman or Alan Moore worked in comics, the mainstream fans marginalized them as 'alternative'. Bringing realism and depth to characters is 'alternative'. LOL. When Jack, Steve and Stan did it, it was considered revolutionary... that's how to evolve things. Comics has been battling to remain in stasis since the 60's.

On 11/19/2018 at 1:04 AM, fmaz said:

I’m not sure Bill Maher’s ignorant words themselves are what bother people... it’s just that we’re hyper sensitive to ANY criticism of Stan at this point.

True (and believe me, I've been the target of a great deal of that hypersensitivity over the years, just for my discussions on it), BUT... he did just pass away. At least now, some of that hypersensitivity is warranted.

Let’s face it, we all grew up in a world where, for the most part, we were made to be kind of ashamed that we loved comics.  And while we shared our love with some of of other comic-loving friends, it was something you otherwise kept to yourself.   Slowly in the last 10-15 years its become more mainstream with all the movies and whatnot, maybe even “cool” I guess (even though the culture has just been appropriated by Hollywood) but still, there’s no question we are all still sensitive to the stings of the time when we felt we had to keep it to ourselves as we got older.  Stuff like Maher’s comments just brings all that back up, in a bad way. 

Not long ago, I had to quickly come up with a trivia question for our morning entertainer meeting - a meeting where even movie and TV questions were sometimes met with blank stares of cluelessness (Who was the Fresh Prince of Bel-Air?) - but when I asked 'What is Spider-man's secret identity?', every hand in the room went up and most even quickly stated out loud, "Peter Parker!" Man, when strippers know this stuff, it is WAY mainstream culture.

As for Stan himself, and how there were some here in our community who certainly had a lot of negative things to say about him while he was alive and seemed to, perhaps, changed their tune now that he’s passed and being criticized by others?  I don’t think it’s hypocritical at all.  Honestly, brothers and sisters fight all the time... but they will ALWAYS defend each other when people outside of the family criticize their siblings.  That’s what this stuff feels like. 

I've never pulled any punches in my assessment of what I believe the history of Marvel Comics is, but I feel there's a time and a place for everything. Stan DID play a BIG part in my discovery and early love of comics, and despite anything else, I have no problem acknowledging that at this time and even appreciating that he made a lot of people very happy in his time here on earth.

In large part Maher is just mocking millennial culture as vapid and their interests as childish.  And also reminding us that in many ways, even “grownups “ today — inlcuding Boomers  who are in their sixties now — have by and large compared to previous generations, refused To outgrow their childhood interests... and mindset?  This is a common topic as one of today’s societal factors trying to explain why things are the way they are.  Childish hobbies like reading and collecting funny books, trading cards, etc were shunned and far less popular until the last few decades, and 95% of all kids who sampled them in the fifties sixties and seventies quickly left them behind for more “adult” pleasures and pastimes as their parents did with marbles and wanting to be Dvy Crocket etc.

He makes this point often.  So not a surprise that he connected and commented on the fawning over and teeth gnashing sadness over the passing of the Comicbook Diety (he’s not a big fan of organized religion either) whose creations written largely for kids and teenagers 65 years ago and now DOMINATE popular entertainment sees this as a prime example of a dumbing down of society. 

His comments would have been much less offensive for so many and food for thought perhaps had he not stated them the same week Stan died. But that’s how he rolls.  Says what he thinks and rolls with the backlash. He’s a stoner, new ideas that sound brilliant pop up in his head all the time!

3 hours ago, Chuck Gower said:

Not long ago, I had to quickly come up with a trivia question for our morning entertainer meeting - a meeting where even movie and TV questions were sometimes met with blank stares of cluelessness (Who was the Fresh Prince of Bel-Air?) - but when I asked 'What is Spider-man's secret identity?', every hand in the room went up and most even quickly stated out loud, "Peter Parker!" Man, when strippers know this stuff, it is WAY mainstream culture.

Wait.... what?

Edited by Buzzetta

2 hours ago, Chuck Gower said:

Every stripper knew the answer in that meeting. I had dancers who were 20 years old to 33 years old, American born and South American born, they all knew Peter Parker was Spider-man. 

I thought you ran a comic store for some reason. lol 

3 minutes ago, Buzzetta said:
2 hours ago, Chuck Gower said:

Every stripper knew the answer in that meeting. I had dancers who were 20 years old to 33 years old, American born and South American born, they all knew Peter Parker was Spider-man. 

I thought you ran a comic store for some reason. lol 

Don't they have stripper poles in the comic shops back in New York?

9 hours ago, bluechip said:

Not everybody who was 10 in 1966 went for Marvel.  I would be surprised to hear that he ever read a Marvel comic.   Marvel was little known at the time and comics in general were still looked upon by many as either pabulum for single digit kids or a corrupting influence on hormonal tweens.   They were looked down upon by the majority of people, certainly most adults, because Marvel was the exception, not the rule.   Praise for comics by adults was mostly limited to condescending approval of the camp factor.  In the 80s I recall people who worked in comedy pretending they barely recognized the name Spider-man (if at all) and didn't even know the name "Marvel" (one comedy pro that I recall who'd be a contemporary of Maher's disdainfully called it "Marvy comics").  In the 80s if you were in a group of comedy pros (especially those who wrote/performed pseudo-intellectual monologues) and you mentioned a liking for comics the odds were you'd be roundly mocked.

Spiderman cartoon came out in 1967. He was not so obscure. As for comedians on comic books, this is obviously something you have subject matter expertise on and have devoted a great deal of thought to. I have never noticed a comic book reference other than seinfeld, which was positive, but I am half brain dead, so I miss a lot.

7 hours ago, Chuck Gower said:

Total thread derailer, but why would you have meetings?  I thought the girls staggered in, paid their dj fee, and got drunk until their pimps came to collect them at the end of the shift. (shrug)

Perhaps a topic to explore in another thread...

4 hours ago, Chuck Gower said:

To be honest, I think this one is just because Tobey Maguire spends an awful lot of time in strip clubs these days, and he uses the “I’m Spider-Man” line to get discounts on lap dances.   

On 11/17/2018 at 8:44 PM, Readcomix said:

What's worse than both is making ignorant comments from the privilege of the bully pulpit, which is what Maher did. 

I have no problem with the "flamethrower for the left" shtick; both sides of the politicotainment industry have them. Sad that this journalism today, but that's a whole other ball o' wax.

He kinda needlessly worked Stan and comics in there to take a jab at his favorite target. He was reaching, and his understanding of comics is lacking. I think that's the kernel of what annoyed the annoyed.

He actually isn't on the left on many issues. 

7 hours ago, fmaz said:

To be honest, I think this one is just because Tobey Maguire spends an awful lot of time in strip clubs these days, and he uses the “I’m Spider-Man” line to get discounts on lap dances.   

hm  I wonder if it works 

On 11/20/2018 at 1:48 PM, toro said:

realstan.thumb.png.9459ad8d2eb73626310b2a14a3c46062.png

I just saw that today, and Team Stan expressed my feelings wholeheartedly.   I guess he felt different about comics when he was originally going to be in Iron Man 3, but he got deleted.

I didn't think Iron Man 3 could've stunk any worse, but the inclusion of Maher's scene would've assured just that!  :wink: