• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

In praise of Paste Pot Pete

63 posts in this topic

12 minutes ago, Robot Man said:

Wow, that's cool. I collect comic character pinbacks and have never seen that one.

Hi Bob,

This is a rare one.  I have a Katzenjammer Kids from the same series and there is also a Mickey Mouse imprint and a Buck Rogers imprint that I have only seen on Hakes.

I always thought Beta Ray Bill was a terrible name, no better than Paste Pot Pete, but you don't see anywhere near as much negativity.

1 hour ago, Ken Aldred said:

I always thought Beta Ray Bill was a terrible name, no better than Paste Pot Pete, but you don't see anywhere near as much negativity.

Plus, he was Thor with a dog head. Good point! I still think the Beyonder with his breakdancing pants and coiffed hair was more dopey than the two of them combined. Dude coulda used a French artist beret, and that's saying something!

marvel-comics-the-human-torch-vol-2-issu

One of my first comics was a reprint of the PPP story in the Human Torch (#4) bronze age books. The thing that always amazed me was how Pete was able to keep all that Paste off himself and the money.

But as others have said-- you had to admire that he was doing this for the money-- no doubt having a Mrs Paste Pot Pete and Paste Pot Pete, Jr to provide for.

Edited by 01TheDude

13 hours ago, Duffman_Comics said:

I too have a soft spot for the character. "Strange Tales" 124 was one of the first Marvels I read as a kid - and the first time I had seen any of the Fantastic Four.

ST124551x786.jpg

I couldn't let this cover posting go by without saying that this is one of the most ridiculously, hilariously classic villain costumes in the annals of Marveldom.  I love it!

Edited by namisgr

6 hours ago, 01TheDude said:

marvel-comics-the-human-torch-vol-2-issu

One of my first comics was a reprint of the PPP story in the Human Torch (#4) bronze age books. The thing that always amazed me was how Pete was able to keep all that Paste off himself and the money.

But as others have said-- you had to admire that he was doing this for the money-- no doubt having a Mrs Paste Pot Pete and Paste Pot Pete, Jr to provide for.

In an early appearance of Paste Pot Pete, he does mention his wife Poxey and his son, Elmer.  ;)

Edited by comicstock

18 hours ago, Get Marwood & I said:

Did your 8 year old brain ponder also the mystery of the Lady from Nowhere? Now that's going to be a tough assignment for Doctor Strange. Think about it; she is from nowherehm

ZZ1B927738.jpg

2 hours ago, Readcomix said:

Thought experiment: If Pete had been introduced as The Trapster as a Flash rogue in an early DC, how desirable is his first appearance? 

about as valuable as the above mentioned "Captain Boomerang" actually probably less.....