• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How Do YOU Select Books for Slabbing?

29 posts in this topic

KEY books first regardless of condition?

Books you are sentimental about, maybe for display only?

ONLY highest grade books that have a shot at 9.2 - 9.8?

SLAB THEM ALL is not an option hehe...

For example, I have this pretty nice book but I don't think I am going to waste money slabbing it for obvious reasons...

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_722.jpg.35f119535956ca84aa119f6093062bc3.jpg

3 minutes ago, Karl Liebl said:

Hmmm, at first it was curiosity...

To preserve it.

To sell or trade it online at a third party agreed upon value...

To display it.

That's about it I think...

My point is that people slab books for many different reasons.

30 minutes ago, Karl Liebl said:

If you had to start somewhere where would you start?  Different reasons again...

I’m super new to this, but I’ve started slabbing some books I found from my childhood, and some key issues I’ve just fallen in love with. I’m 26 now, and haven’t touched a comic since I was probably 10. I some how came across a bunch at an estate sale and bought them all up. (Roughly 600 for 100 bucks) I wasn’t going to buy them but my girlfriend talked me into it. Long story short the comic in there that really caught my eye was ASM 300. That comic pretty much got me into collecting. I was going to sell them all at first.. but now I buy more and more comics and slab my favorites lol. Sorry for the long story, but the comics I slab are just the ones that catch my eye the most, or a goal I set like ASM 300-400. Things like that.

I slab for resale.

My threshold is about $200 in value to slab, actual grade doesn't factor much into the equation for me.

The $40 or so grading fee more than pays for itself in resale, assuming it was bought prior to recent runups in value.

I am trying to figure out why the FF50 shown is an obvious don't get it graded. I have a lesser copy of same book in Sarasota right now.

I rarely spend multi-hundreds on raw books, just too much risk. Buyers of expensive books want them graded.

Edited by Tempus Fugit

20 hours ago, Karl Liebl said:

To sell or trade it online at a third party agreed upon value...

This is your reason to slab ! Knowing your situation, submit all candidates in one big CGC prescreen, hopefully same tier. You will win some/lose some but this one at a time approach is not working for me, is it working for you ? I know you don't care about money but still. 

43 minutes ago, Bomber-Bob said:

This is your reason to slab ! Knowing your situation, submit all candidates in one big CGC prescreen, hopefully same tier. You will win some/lose some but this one at a time approach is not working for me, is it working for you ? I know you don't care about money but still. 

Everybody cares about money...  You might be wrong about my intentions though because I just bought another book lol, that makes 2 books I bought now...  the beast is growing...

3 hours ago, Tempus Fugit said:

I slab for resale.

My threshold is about $200 in value to slab, actual grade doesn't factor much into the equation for me.

The $40 or so grading fee more than pays for itself in resale, assuming it was bought prior to recent runups in value.

I am trying to figure out why the FF50 shown is an obvious don't get it graded. I have a lesser copy of same book in Sarasota right now.

I rarely spend multi-hundreds on raw books, just too much risk. Buyers of expensive books want them graded.

Maybe I will slab that FF 50 later but I know I am going to get slammed on it, it is a decent copy.  I am not interested in the whole business side of selling antiques and collectables. I wouldn't mind trading a few books that have no meaning to me for some more early FF 8.0 or above...

New Teen Titans 1 (9.8)

Marvel and DC Presents Teen Titans and X Men 1 (9.8)

Conan 4,6,7 (hmmm 9 plus)

X Men 99 (in 9.8)

ASM 25, 39, 40 (hmmm 9.0 plus)

Just my guesswork...  next up for slabbing are the ASM

On 11/18/2018 at 6:26 PM, Karl Liebl said:

Maybe I will slab that FF 50 later but I know I am going to get slammed on it, it is a decent copy.  I am not interested in the whole business side of selling antiques and collectables. I wouldn't mind trading a few books that have no meaning to me for some more early FF 8.0 or above...

New Teen Titans 1 (9.8)

Marvel and DC Presents Teen Titans and X Men 1 (9.8)

Conan 4,6,7 (hmmm 9 plus)

X Men 99 (in 9.8)

ASM 25, 39, 40 (hmmm 9.0 plus)

Just my guesswork...  next up for slabbing are the ASM

Post some pics when they come back! Good luck!:wishluck:

2 hours ago, Not A Clone said:

Post some pics when they come back! Good luck!:wishluck:

Just finished boxing up the ASM, X Men and... Fear 19.  I got to do the Fear 19 because it goes with my HTD 1 and its not for sale... the other books are trade bait for more early FF.  I will spring for pressing once again too.  It will be 2019 before I see them i am sure.  Happy Holidays!

2 minutes ago, TwoPiece said:

I don't personally slab books. I let the experts like CGC handle that.

I only buy encapsulated books of issues that I don't want to retain the smell of farts when I'm cropdusting my apartment.

You had better not buy any of my books then because encapsulated books are not air tight...

1 minute ago, Karl Liebl said:

You had better not buy any of my books then because encapsulated books are not air tight...

If I buy books that are currently "yours", they would then be "mine", and at that point why would you care..?

Right now all of my books are in boxes, because I've been moving s^&* around, but I also plan on moving in July.

Truth is, I only buy 9.9s/10.0s in Blue Label. SS books are the only reason to buy a non-mint book IMO (Moderns, at least).

I see the obvious appeal to encapsulated Golden/Silver Keys, also (preservation and display appeal).

19 minutes ago, TwoPiece said:

If I buy books that are currently "yours", they would then be "mine", and at that point why would you care..?

Right now all of my books are in boxes, because I've been moving s^&* around, but I also plan on moving in July.

Truth is, I only buy 9.9s/10.0s in Blue Label. SS books are the only reason to buy a non-mint book IMO (Moderns, at least).

I see the obvious appeal to encapsulated Golden/Silver Keys, also (preservation and display appeal).

Thats cool.  I am going to try and finish my Brother's collection of FF 1 to 100, maybe.  I already have about 75 of them... yes, there will be pain haha

I haven't bought a new book since like 1982 and don't really plan on it.

Edited by Karl Liebl

3 hours ago, Karl Liebl said:

Thats cool.  I am going to try and finish my Brother's collection of FF 1 to 100, maybe.  I already have about 75 of them... yes, there will be pain haha

I haven't bought a new book since like 1982 and don't really plan on it.

Good luck! Long runs are fun.

On 11/17/2018 at 5:23 PM, Karl Liebl said:

KEY books first regardless of condition?

Books you are sentimental about, maybe for display only?

ONLY highest grade books that have a shot at 9.2 - 9.8?

SLAB THEM ALL is not an option hehe...

For example, I have this pretty nice book but I don't think I am going to waste money slabbing it for obvious reasons...

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_722.jpg.35f119535956ca84aa119f6093062bc3.jpg

I don't know that I'd call slabbing a waste of money under most circumstances. When you think how much money most people spend on fast food, alcohol, tobacco, entertainment ect......  Just another way of making your hard earned money go away.  :)

1 hour ago, Ride the Tiger said:

I don't know that I'd call slabbing a waste of money under most circumstances. When you think how much money most people spend on fast food, alcohol, tobacco, entertainment ect......  Just another way of making your hard earned money go away.  :)

Yes, true.  This service is not cheap though, especially if you want pressing and the books back in a timely manner.  Waiting around 3 or 4 months may be ok for a comic book store or dealer but I am not going to do it, and I am willing to pay not to.  So I got my so called Key and sentimental books done and now i am sending in some books for trading so I can add to my FF 1 - 100 collection.  For now it's fun.  My big money dreams are gone though and now I think I have about 25k in books.  Still not bad since I got free.  So to answer my original question I sent in Key and sentimental books first and now im sending in books for sale and trade, mostly trade.