• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How Do YOU Select Books for Slabbing?

29 posts in this topic

I just sent in my first set of books to get graded. For me I wanted to put together a 1-25 graded set of daredevils. Once I got down to only needing #1 I decided I would start getting everything graded. 

It is expensive, but I think that I will enjoy having a graded set and probably the only 1-25 run of silver age marvels that I could reasonable complete. 

I don't collect  anymore. I've got boxes of well-preserved books from the mid-80s, and some of them are in demand. I could sell them in the raw at a fraction of the price for a slabbed book. Seems to me that slabbing valuable books is a good investment. The market does not like uncertainty. 

I would slab the FF 50 for resale value and use those funds to buy something else that goes in the permanent collection. It might take three or four of these sales to come up with the one keeper's price tag. It's pretty much how I keep my collection going.

On 11/17/2018 at 3:23 PM, Karl Liebl said:

KEY books first regardless of condition?

Books you are sentimental about, maybe for display only?

ONLY highest grade books that have a shot at 9.2 - 9.8?

For me, signed books are always slabbed since it provides a level of authenticity should I ever choose to sell my books.

Major keys are slabbed only if I intend to resell.  Otherwise, I'll slab a book if it matches a set (for example, I have FF 48 and 49 slabbed, so it stands to reason that i'll eventually want a slabbed copy of 50).  I'll never get a blue label modern book at this point.  It's probably way cheaper for me to just double bag in mylar/archive bag with fullbacks.  Again, the exception would be if the moderns command a significantly higher price slabbed vs raw.

1 minute ago, Mercury Man said:

Plenty of other ways to 'preserve' a comic book.  Don't let that piece of hard plastic lull you into a sense of kevlar security. 

All very good points... when the books were purchased there was no such thing as CGC or third party grading.  When I started submitting a couple of months ago I sent in several books out of curiosity mainly to see what pressing would do for some of my distressed books.  I have been mostly pleased.  I probably only have about 15 books that are financially worthwhile to slab.  Who resurrected this thread lol?

10 minutes ago, ExNihilo said:

For me, signed books are always slabbed since it provides a level of authenticity should I ever choose to sell my books.

Major keys are slabbed only if I intend to resell.  Otherwise, I'll slab a book if it matches a set (for example, I have FF 48 and 49 slabbed, so it stands to reason that i'll eventually want a slabbed copy of 50).  I'll never get a blue label modern book at this point.  It's probably way cheaper for me to just double bag in mylar/archive bag with fullbacks.  Again, the exception would be if the moderns command a significantly higher price slabbed vs raw.

Here is my only cover signed book... yeah yeah it was not witnessed by anyone EXCEPT me and my brother!!  I wanted it pressed and preserved and that's what I got.  Was it a smart choice? Maybe not but I am quite happy :)

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_76f.jpg.0f79b5bc1754befa269859c8ca130f55.jpg

It depends,

I will grade the book and then determine what I think the value of the book is if I am right in the grade. I then do a calculation: if the book is worth X and it costs me Y to grade it, do I make enough money X-Y to make the entire venture worthwhile if I sell the book?

Example: If Book A graded by me is a 9.8, and Book A sells for $250.00 in 9.8 then I will probably get it graded. But if Book A only sells for $100 in 9.6 I probably won't get it graded because if I am selling the book I might only break even on the grading costs if the book comes back as a 9.6. Cost of grading + shipping and there is no profit in getting it graded.

There are other reasons to get a book graded.

Is the book a valuable or a "keeper book? I might get it graded if I don't really know the grade of the book. While I think I am a reasonably good grader, I have several books where I am just not that sure of the grade due to many variables. Sending it in gives certification.

Edited by Artboy99