• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PGM this Captain America 58 (Brazilian Edition, Eua Cap 253-254, GH3 and TS 78)

6 posts in this topic

Hello.I would like people to help to grade this Brazilian cap 58 (that has the content of EUA cap 253-254, Ghost Rider 3 and Tales of Suspense 58). I have a better one so I intend to sell this one and would appreciate any help to grade it .

The flaws. The visible issues are stains, there is a lot of it, especially a thin vertical strip of it on the right side of the cover, close to its end. Close to that strip, there are a few isolated stains (three of it) one above the leg from the vampire, one bellow and one on the transition area between the yellow-green background to the brown area, very close to hand of Union Jack. Close to the first of the three stains there is a darker dot of something that got stuck on the cover.

This one is probably impossible to note from the picture but there is a VERY thin vertical strip that goes from the bottom until the middle of the cover. Honestly, I don't know the precise point where it ends and only is really visible in person on the orange part of the cover. Not a stain though, it changes the relief. 

There is minimal loss of paint on that region but it is far less than the photo indicates. The light reflected too much light there because the cover is not flat in that region. In fact there is several small bumps around the right limit of the cover, that usually are on the same spots as the stains. The top right corner if slight bent upwards.

To end the cover description that are two invisible (on the photo) defects. One are "dents" that seems to be made by a pencil's head. They start as soon as cap's head ends and proceed until close to the spine. They are fairly easy to spot personally. Not much above it, there is a small crease that does not break color. No more than 2-3mm. The superior part of the spine can be seen a lot of stains, especially close to Cap's logo. Close to Cap's left feet on the logo, there is another crease, smaller than the first. Part of It broke the color minimally. Finally there is a line that breaks the color (minimally). It goes from the top of the cover, enter the logo area, vanishing on the middle of it or slight before.

The back cover is full of stains, easily more than the cover, especially close to the borders. Most left border of the cover is not fully flat, with small bumps around it. It is also not fully flat close to the inferior left corner, where there are strong stains. There is a small tear (one centimeter) on the lower right corner with probably introduced.

There are are two horizontal wrinkles, close to the rightmost juice (pineapple one). One coincides with a stain, slight above the middle of the bottle, the other, probably not visible is close to the top and 1cm or so of extension. Close to the spine, there are faint vertical stress lines. One goes from the top and ends before the comics start. Another, parallel to it, closer to the spine, starts from the top, fairly visible until vanishes in the middle of the back cover. Another starts above the tear on the inferior right corner and starts to vanish where the comics are ending.

Finally there is a horizontal non color break crease of 1,5-2,0cm close to superior right corner and some small wear on the top right corner 

cap58c.jpg

cap58cc.jpg

Thanks Gnasher (again)! But it really does not look like water damage to me. I am sure the stains are the result of exposure to dust, although the low resolution photos may not be able to show it. No "bumps" on the relief that are characteristic of water damage. The vertical line of stains that I mentioned, I have similar strips (although horizontal) in other comic books. And they were stored in a locker where the door spent a long time broken, with the door open, and several comics acquired similar defects.

I think my super long text may have transmitted it looks worst than it really was. I personally have the impression it's on the fine range, as it has very little or nothing of creases, folding marks on the cover. The back cover looks considerably worst, I have to admit. The cover also retains most of the original gloss.

30 minutes ago, Kromak said:

Thanks Gnasher (again)! But it really does not look like water damage to me. I am sure the stains are the result of exposure to dust, although the low resolution photos may not be able to show it. No "bumps" on the relief that are characteristic of water damage. The vertical line of stains that I mentioned, I have similar strips (although horizontal) in other comic books. And they were stored in a locker where the door spent a long time broken, with the door open, and several comics acquired similar defects.

I think my super long text may have transmitted it looks worst than it really was. I personally have the impression it's on the fine range, as it has very little or nothing of creases, folding marks on the cover. The back cover looks considerably worst, I have to admit. The cover also retains most of the original gloss.

Your mention of wrinkles in your original text along with the stains, I assumed (wrongly,) were a reference to water, or moisture damage. Have you tried dry cleaning the back at all? 

1 hour ago, Gnasher said:

Your mention of wrinkles in your original text along with the stains, I assumed (wrongly,) were a reference to water, or moisture damage. Have you tried dry cleaning the back at all? 

There is no such thing in here (Brazil), At least related to comic books. I would have to submit it through mail to US. The increased resale value would not even come close to pay for the shipping costs or the dry cleaning cost. It would probably be worth if this was a number 1 issue, perhaps also for number 2.