• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Comic books (a hobby or an investment)

40 posts in this topic

Recently the price of many comic books have really gone up ( a lot probably due to the movie craze) . Eventually the movies will end but what does that mean to the comic books. The scarcity of some comics just demand the price will go up especially with golden age superheroes. Any thought on this. All opinions are always welcome.

19 minutes ago, Georgie123 said:

Recently the price of many comic books have really gone up ( a lot probably due to the movie craze) . Eventually the movies will end but what does that mean to the comic books. The scarcity of some comics just demand the price will go up especially with golden age superheroes. Any thought on this. All opinions are always welcome.

Probably both for most people. I still read comics & have a weekly pull. I think most also look at what they have as an investment of varying degrees. Maybe a little something extra for retirement or something to pass down. There are things ya buy for your personal collection to hang onto long-term & then there may be some you buy to flip for a quick profit. I personally collect ASM & other Spidey stuff and that's all I really hang onto. Everything else I can or do part with. 

Depends on the person.  For me, first and foremost, it's a hobby that I enjoy thoroughly whether its grabbing back issues, digging through dollar bins or checking out the new releases.  It can be an investment if enough money is put into it and smart decisions are made.  The hobby aspect will keep you coming back regardless of value though.

8 minutes ago, Bomber-Bob said:

How many times do we need to discuss this ? Same topic, same answers. Boring.

To the OP, there's probably more to be gained by just digging around in the General Forum and/or digging around the Modern Forum then asking your question year.  As stated, this question has been asked and answered and debated infinite times.  Which is not a shot against you, as we all come to this hobby and these forums at different points, just letting you know that the other forums are more for 'discussions', whereas my understanding of this thread is to be somewhat more practical.  Not that you can't ask the question here, just that it may have more traction/attention elsewhere, and might already have been asked/answered elsewhere.

Good luck.

1 minute ago, revat said:

To the OP, there's probably more to be gained by just digging around in the General Forum and/or digging around the Modern Forum then asking your question year.  As stated, this question has been asked and answered and debated infinite times.  Which is not a shot against you, as we all come to this hobby and these forums at different points, just letting you know that the other forums are more for 'discussions', whereas my understanding of this thread is to be somewhat more practical.  Not that you can't ask the question here, just that it may have more traction/attention elsewhere, and might already have been asked/answered elsewhere.

Good luck.

Regarding the OP, I've already commented to him in another thread with a similar themed question, to simply using the Search function. (shrug)

3 hours ago, Garlic Cookie said:

What's the question exactly?

Is this worth doing in the long run. Honest answer is no. Its based on paper. But it is fun so I do it. I do hope to sell a lot of the books so my kids don't have to deal with them when I'm gone. Just figured I throw that out into the mix. 

There is that "I" word again.   Listen, if you are at a Heritage Auction and shelling out for a Action #1 or 'Tec #27, go ahead and call it an "Investment".   Some books certainly have the weight behind them to be viewed  as such.      

If you have 25 copies of the first appearance of Spider-Gwen, or the new Ms. Marvel, and are calling it an "investment", I would say stick to calling it a hobby. 

1 hour ago, GetOffMyLawn said:

Do you realize you're in the Newbie question section, which is the correct section to ask these questions?

Of course I realize this. This isn't really a Newbie type of question and the OP is NOT a Newbie. This probably should have been poised in Comics General, where this topic is addressed frequently. You can look at my posts and see I am very active here and try to answer many questions.  At least I don't hide my comments under the guise of a fake/new ID like many others. :baiting:

If your luck is ANYTHING like mine, DO NOT buy comics as an investment....buy what you LOVE and if it appreciates all the better (some of the best advice I got off of the boards).  I promise you, if I had tried to acquire books I thought were going to increase in value I would have failed miserably!

7 hours ago, marvelmaniac said:

"what book did that happen in?" and then I go into an old man rant :preach: telling my Grandkids that it did not happen that way in real life (which is the comic book) and then I spit out an issue number where that event took place, tell them how it "really" happened and then tell them "Hollywood" changed it/modernized it for the young kids so they can make money.  :whatthe:

I love the "real life" part. I've caught myself saying that a few times. :)

Hobby.  I have an easier time making money in the stock market than I do buying books on a weekly basis and that should tell you everything you need to know to settle the "Hobby vs Investment" debate.

The lone exception is buying up books with known demand and value.  I'm talking the IH181's, the AF15's, the ASM1 and 300, the FF48's, etc.  These are books that were valuable 20 years ago and they'll still be valuable 20 years from now.  As with any investment, these carry risk.  Will they go up?  Will they go down?  No one knows.  But, I can pretty much guarantee that they will always be worth more than their inflation adjusted amounts from when they originally hit store shelves.