• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My Incredible Hulk #1 CGC 7.5 (R) was just approved for CCS restoration removal... "before" photo now included...EDIT: and the results are in...
1 1

58 posts in this topic

First I must say a big hats off to CGC in the timeliness and thoroughness of their review and communications on these!

This is the 4th PLOD I've sent for consideration.

First was Avengers 9.4 SP from Nick Cage's collection (!). They accepted it for conservation (it had been cleaned, only), and it got the same 9.4 grade with the Conserved label. Yay! PLOD-free!

The 2nd and 3rd were a TTA 27 9.0 SP and ASM 13 7.0 SA... both had too much color on the spine. Oh, well... still great books!

The Hulk is a 7.5 SP also from Nick Cage's collection, with a small professional color touch. EDIT: Thanks to FoomMember for finding this photo of it online!

1545412321_Hulk1before.jpg.7a5065c752eb8079d970ac6bb5ac8336.jpg

Here's the question... what in your experience do you think CCS considers the maximum hit to take on a book before they remove restoration? 

They obviously don't just remove it... even if they CAN... if the book will take a monster hit. They appear to be very careful with these in their consideration; at least, that's been my experience so far.

Edited by oldrover

Based on my experiences with small amount of color touch removal, there really is no pinpoint amount of color touch even is small.  It can be just a dot or a streak on the spine area or it can be a few hits on the spine, a few on the lower edge, and some on the middle of the cover.  There is no varying degree of how much color touch was done, something to ask CCS specifically where the color touch areas are.

Also, if you decide on getting it removed, it will be obvious (at least to those who have came across color touch removal) that color touch was removed.  There will be a streak(s) of white straight line(s) on the book that doesn't look natural, which could be really ugly lowering the eye appeal.  Sometimes it is best to leave as is, but if you're trying to re-sell for a quick profit, than most would go the un-restoration route.  Good luck!

12 minutes ago, Dark Knight said:

Sometimes it is best to leave as is, but if you're trying to re-sell for a quick profit, than most would go the un-restoration route.  Good luck!

Not so much a quick profit... I’ve owned it for 20 years... but definitely looking to maximize the profit. I saw the FF1 posted here that went from a 4.0 PLOD to a 3.5 Blue. You’re right about the visual, but the value went up considerably. And someone bought it. We shall see... I’ll post the results when I get them, for better or (hopefully not too much) worse. :)

CT removal that I've seen results in certain parts of the cover looking scraped/scuffed.   

It will, most likely, result in a grade drop.   But, getting a blue label with the lower grade would still (most likely) result in a better "price" compared to the PLOD if you were to sell.  

1 minute ago, chrisco37 said:

CT removal that I've seen results in certain parts of the cover looking scraped/scuffed.   

It will, most likely, result in a grade drop.   But, getting a blue label with the lower grade would still (most likely) result in a better "price" compared to the PLOD if you were to sell.  

I'm definitely planning on a grade drop. Can't see them removing color and the grade staying the same, unless it was a lower-grade comic to begin with.

On 11/19/2018 at 12:55 PM, oldrover said:

Here's the question... what in your experience do you think CCS considers the maximum hit to take on a book before they remove restoration? 

I'm not sure they operate under a maximum hit constraint. (shrug)

On 11/20/2018 at 7:02 AM, oldrover said:

I'm definitely planning on a grade drop. Can't see them removing color and the grade staying the same, unless it was a lower-grade comic to begin with.

In theory, unless the game is rigged, the grade should drop but it really depends on the original grade and original flaws. A small isolated scrape on a book with a large stain will not matter. Did you ever talk or submit to CGC onsite at a convention ? I'm curious if they assist/advise you on PLOD books. 

1 hour ago, Bomber-Bob said:

In theory, unless the game is rigged, the grade should drop but it really depends on the original grade and original flaws. A small isolated scrape on a book with a large stain will not matter. Did you ever talk or submit to CGC onsite at a convention ? I'm curious if they assist/advise you on PLOD books. 

I have not. But so far, they have either increased the value of my PLOD’s, or declined to do the work.

On 11/20/2018 at 8:02 AM, oldrover said:

Maybe not. I had an ASM 1 CGC 6.0 SS that I subbed to CGC about 10 years ago and it came back PLOD. It had never been pressed. Last year I sent it in for evaluation to see if it would be a good candidate for CT removal and the answer was yes. I had the CT removed and then pressed and it stayed a 6.0. I believe the pressing help offset the CT removal grade downgrade that it would have gotten. Hopefully you will be as lucky as me. I will post pictures Monday as they are on my work computer.

1 hour ago, Jordysnordy said:

Maybe not. I had an ASM 1 CGC 6.0 SS that I subbed to CGC about 10 years ago and it came back PLOD. It had never been pressed. Last year I sent it in for evaluation to see if it would be a good candidate for CT removal and the answer was yes. I had the CT removed and then pressed and it stayed a 6.0. I believe the pressing help offset the CT removal grade downgrade that it would have gotten. Hopefully you will be as lucky as me. I will post pictures Monday as they are on my work computer.

Might be easier to stay at a 6.0 than a 7.5... but from your lips to God's ears! (or, maybe, CGC's ears... LOL) I'll have to ask about the pressing... I did check it in the pre-screening process.

On ‎11‎/‎24‎/‎2018 at 6:24 PM, oldrover said:

Might be easier to stay at a 6.0 than a 7.5... but from your lips to God's ears! (or, maybe, CGC's ears... LOL) I'll have to ask about the pressing... I did check it in the pre-screening process.

Here are the pictures. The CT was removed on the green banner on the bottom of the cover, under the E in Chameleon.

It probably helped that the CT was P and not A

ASM1B.jpg

ASM 1 CGC 6.0.jpg

4 minutes ago, Jordysnordy said:

Here are the pictures. The CT was removed on the green banner on the bottom of the cover, under the E in Chameleon.

ASM1B.jpg

ASM 1 CGC 6.0.jpg

Well, the CT on mine was also professionally done, so perhaps there's hope. (I'm trying not to let myself think about it LOL) Thanks for posting your book! It is a beauty! :)

11 hours ago, Jordysnordy said:

ASM1B.jpg

ASM 1 CGC 6.0.jpg

Wow, nice book. I like everything about it, the signature placement, the White Pages, nice bold colors.