• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My Incredible Hulk #1 CGC 7.5 (R) was just approved for CCS restoration removal... "before" photo now included...EDIT: and the results are in...
1 1

58 posts in this topic

3 minutes ago, oldrover said:

Yes. After the resto was removed, CCS recommended it.

What a nice job by CCS, great looking book. Note you also got an upgrade on the PQ. What are your plans for the book, are you keeping it ? 

Do you know where the CT was?  Also, what is the deal with the "collection of Nicholas Cage"?  Why does that even matter (to anyone but his friends, family or a deranged fan) ?  Either way, nice outcome, really nice book. 

Edited by Spidey 62

2 minutes ago, Spidey 62 said:

Do you know where the CT was?  Also, what is the deal with the "collection of Nicholas Cage"?  Why does that even matter?  Either way, nice outcome, really nice book. 

I think it is a nice bonus to know that Nic Cage once owned the book. (shrug)

2 minutes ago, Spidey 62 said:

Do you know where the CT was?  Also, what is the deal with the "collection of Nicholas Cage"?  Why does that even matter (to anyone but his friends, family or a deranged fan) ?  Either way, nice outcome, really nice book. 

Don't know where the CT was... I'm guessing the spine and the top of the front cover, but that's just a guess. And I too pooh-poohed the "Nicholas Cage" thing... but I think there might be some folks for whom that's attractive.

2 minutes ago, oldrover said:

Don't know where the CT was... I'm guessing the spine and the top of the front cover, but that's just a guess. And I too pooh-poohed the "Nicholas Cage" thing... but I think there might be some folks for whom that's attractive.

It's interesting that his Hulk 1 had restoration. I can't remember the details but apparently when Nic decided to sell his collection, his books were sent in to CGC via a large dealer/auction house, I think Metro but not sure. Nic had purchased many of his books from the same auction house. As it turned out, a lot of his books came back restored and Nic was very angry. There was a lot of speculation and it was suggested that is the reason Nic decided to quit comics and sell. He was disgusted.  While it sounds a little far fetched, if true, I can understand and sympathize with his reaction.

1 minute ago, Bomber-Bob said:

Yes, good observation. It's the Costanza effect that is so common on today's submissions. I guess this look is now accepted as 'normal' . (shrug)

It's absolutely the new normal for early Silver Age, along with the unnaturally flat top edge overhang that I refer to as the 'starched collar'.

They did a great job removing the color touch.

1 hour ago, Bomber-Bob said:

It's interesting that his Hulk 1 had restoration. I can't remember the details but apparently when Nic decided to sell his collection, his books were sent in to CGC via a large dealer/auction house, I think Metro but not sure. Nic had purchased many of his books from the same auction house. As it turned out, a lot of his books came back restored and Nic was very angry. There was a lot of speculation and it was suggested that is the reason Nic decided to quit comics and sell. He was disgusted.  While it sounds a little far fetched, if true, I can understand and sympathize with his reaction.

IIRC he might have had financial troubles at the time that caused the sale. The discovery of the resto might have just been a final kick in the pants. I think he’s doing better now though. LOL

I bought both my Cage books through HA in 2002, FWIW. 

Edit: here’s more... I guess he was broken into as well...

https://www.catawiki.com/stories/4499-celebrity-collections-nicolas-cage-s-comic-book-collection

Edited by oldrover

3 minutes ago, The Lions Den said:

I heard that Nic Cage blew a lot of money on comics (among other things) and was extremely disappointed when they were professionally slabbed and graded. :flamed:

I would venture to say this book is a good example of "his loss is your gain." 

I think a LOT of people were stunned with unexpected PLOD's from CGC in the early days. 

3 minutes ago, oldrover said:

I think a LOT of people were stunned with unexpected PLOD's from CGC in the early days. 

One nice thing about professional color touch is there is typically no bleed through. This usually makes it less invasive and confined to the area (s) in which it was placed. It's also frequently applied to books with darker cover colors since spine stress lines and edge wear stand out like a sore thumb on those books. This copy was a good candidate for CT removal...congratulations!  :foryou: