• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My Incredible Hulk #1 CGC 7.5 (R) was just approved for CCS restoration removal... "before" photo now included...EDIT: and the results are in...
1 1

58 posts in this topic

11 minutes ago, Tony Squawk said:

Not sure what you mean, since the "from the collection" was a CGC scam, and Lisa Marie was at least partially responsible. One of these will cheer you up:

LOL... you got me with the Brady kids. :) Sorry... misunderstood. 

On 12/14/2018 at 8:49 AM, oldrover said:
On 12/14/2018 at 8:41 AM, The Lions Den said:

I heard that Nic Cage blew a lot of money on comics (among other things) and was extremely disappointed when they were professionally slabbed and graded. :flamed:

I would venture to say this book is a good example of "his loss is your gain." 

I think a LOT of people were stunned with unexpected PLOD's from CGC in the early days. 

A great deal of the resistance to CGC and slabbing in general in the early days (2000-2005) was precisely because of those dealers who had flooded the market with fiddled books, and were angry that there was a service out there which was exposing their "work" for what it was. So, they just downplayed CGC and said it was a con job to dissuade buyers.

And there are still dealers and retailers who think and say this.

I've said this a million times before: if you weren't around in the bad old days, you can't really appreciate just how bad they were. The greater and greater sums being spent on comics in the 90s were simply too tempting for these people to pass up the opportunity to "improve" their books. If you paid top dollar for an AF #15 that turned out to be color touched, you are JUST NOW starting to be able to get back what you paid...forget the tremendous gains you should have had. If you paid $25,000 for a "Near Mint" AF #15 in 1997...and it came back from CGC a 7.5 with color touch....you might...MIGHT...get back today what you spent in 1997, and considering inflation, you still lose. Forget the $300,000-$750,000 you should have gotten for your purchase.

It was awful.

29 minutes ago, SillyGoose said:

It's also why you see some GA with Resto in a Blue label. CGC was worried/told that some big collectors/dealers wouldn't submit their Mile High books because they were fiddled with, so they created this loophole just for them. Like everything else CGC does these standards are not known by the public so CGC can apply them however they want. One hand washes the other, just like the deal they made with Jay Parrino.

Fiddled books should go in the garbage along with their dishonest owners.  That is where i sent mine...

uLXpxEZJSVKHyX2U39qdKQ_thumb_775.jpg.9a15ec4364ec0bf0eef3c6a790a87373.jpg

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_77e.thumb.jpg.4debfb4eaa44af2c88c151ed9eabd00a.jpg

1 hour ago, SillyGoose said:

It's also why you see some GA with Resto in a Blue label. CGC was worried/told that some big collectors/dealers wouldn't submit their Mile High books because they were fiddled with, so they created this loophole just for them. Like everything else CGC does these standards are not known by the public so CGC can apply them however they want. One hand washes the other, just like the deal they made with Jay Parrino.

I have to agree with you on all of the above. While it's unfortunate that some Mile High books were tampered with, it is what it is and they should not have been granted a loophole. I'm not familiar with the Jay Parrino 'arrangement'. Any chance you can expound ?

6 hours ago, oldrover said:

Apropos of nothing: googled Jay Parrino and this was the first story that popped up...

https://www.courthousenews.com/theft-of-1-million-in-comic-books-was-followed-by-death-threat-collector-says/

Wow, that's a scary story. Though I don't believe it's what SillyGoose was refering to.

That's a pretty good looking 6.5.  I know this was 16 years ago and none of my business, but out of curiousity, how much did you pay (and understanding you knew it was restored)? (I know, I could look it up on heritage if I could remember my password). And I am guessing the new slabbing, pressing, and CT removal ran you $100-$200?

On ‎12‎/‎15‎/‎2018 at 10:20 PM, RockMyAmadeus said:

A great deal of the resistance to CGC and slabbing in general in the early days (2000-2005) was precisely because of those dealers who had flooded the market with fiddled books, and were angry that there was a service out there which was exposing their "work" for what it was. So, they just downplayed CGC and said it was a con job to dissuade buyers.

And there are still dealers and retailers who think and say this.

I've said this a million times before: if you weren't around in the bad old days, you can't really appreciate just how bad they were. The greater and greater sums being spent on comics in the 90s were simply too tempting for these people to pass up the opportunity to "improve" their books. If you paid top dollar for an AF #15 that turned out to be color touched, you are JUST NOW starting to be able to get back what you paid...forget the tremendous gains you should have had. If you paid $25,000 for a "Near Mint" AF #15 in 1997...and it came back from CGC a 7.5 with color touch....you might...MIGHT...get back today what you spent in 1997, and considering inflation, you still lose. Forget the $300,000-$750,000 you should have gotten for your purchase.

It was awful.

It is why in the 90s when I had opportunities to buy AF 15 and a host of other keys for prices I could afford I was hesitant to do so. The only time I bought those sorts of books was from an OO collection that came into the shop. I remember looking at a 2.5-3.0 AF 15 at the Four Color comics booth at a show for $500 around 1998 and thinking about whether it was trimmed or messed with and how I might be blowing most of my budget for the show on one book...Oh well, should have bought it anyway. Any idea if Stan Lee signed over where there is color touch with a big fat metallic marker whether it would come back CT? Heck, the DD 1 I bought from Carbonaro back then, of course, it had work done on it according to CGC (albeit a minor tear seal).

Edited by the blob

1 hour ago, the blob said:

That's a pretty good looking 6.5.  I know this was 16 years ago and none of my business, but out of curiousity, how much did you pay (and understanding you knew it was restored)? (I know, I could look it up on heritage if I could remember my password). And I am guessing the new slabbing, pressing, and CT removal ran you $100-$200?

You’re correct on the CGC cost... actually a little higher since they recommended a press after the resto removal. So it was $85 x 3, plus shipping. Prolly like $300.

And I paid under $2000 for the book, if memory serves. If they hadn’t been able to remove the resto, I figure I could have gotten around $8-10k for the book, which wasn’t bad. But now... yowza. :whee:

24 minutes ago, oldrover said:

You’re correct on the CGC cost... actually a little higher since they recommended a press after the resto removal. So it was $85 x 3, plus shipping. Prolly like $300.

And I paid under $2000 for the book, if memory serves. If they hadn’t been able to remove the resto, I figure I could have gotten around $8-10k for the book, which wasn’t bad. But now... yowza. :whee:

You did good. Better than the stock market during that stretch.

Was hoping to see the scan of this after you got it back. I'm kinda in the same boat with a PGX 6.5 AF15 with slight color touch(A) and multiple tear seals, Not sure if it's worth getting it unrestored and how bad of a downgrade it would get. I've sent in many key books to CGC for the crossover deal they were pushing until the end of January that were all PGX. Any opinions would be greatly appreciated.

af15.jpg

2 hours ago, ZzZinsomniacZzZ said:

Was hoping to see the scan of this after you got it back. I'm kinda in the same boat with a PGX 6.5 AF15 with slight color touch(A) and multiple tear seals, Not sure if it's worth getting it unrestored and how bad of a downgrade it would get. I've sent in many key books to CGC for the crossover deal they were pushing until the end of January that were all PGX. Any opinions would be greatly appreciated.

af15.jpg

I would definitely send it to CCS for the pre-screening. They've unrestored 3 books for me now.  If they can do it, they will.  If not, they'll tell you... I had a 9.0 TTA27 that they couldn't remove the CT, and a 7.0 ASM 13, same thing. Oh, well. All you've risked is a few bucks for shipping and the screening fee. And you've still got a helluva book! :)

EDIT: The tear seals might be the stumbling block. FYI. But still worth a shot!

Edited by oldrover