• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is this a common manufacturing defect?

12 posts in this topic

Bad scan, I know. But what is going on with the upper left hand corner on this book? It looks like it turns inward, making it look like the spine doesn't have a straight edge. Is this a common manufacturing defect for books of this era? I can't recall seeing anything like this before.

mp47b.jpg

Edited by MadGenius

8 hours ago, Bomber-Bob said:

I have no idea what you are referring to ? That is a terrible scan, take a pic instead. 

Not my book - but one that I'm considering purchasing.

I'm referring to the spine edge of the book. The top of the spine appears to curve inward and isn't square.

4 hours ago, MadGenius said:

Not my book - but one that I'm considering purchasing.

I'm referring to the spine edge of the book. The top of the spine appears to curve inward and isn't square.

I think this is an early version of the new slab, the one without an inner well, the version they call the 'creep engine'. If so, I would definitely stay away from it as the book may have sustained damage. This is too common a book to risk buying this example.  

2 hours ago, Bomber-Bob said:

I think this is an early version of the new slab, the one without an inner well, the version they call the 'creep engine'. If so, I would definitely stay away from it as the book may have sustained damage. This is too common a book to risk buying this example.  

I don't think this is the creep engine slab. The book was graded in October 2017 which I believe was after the creep engine case was retired.

44 minutes ago, Artboy99 said:

I wouldn't consider the book at all if that is the best image the seller can provide. Who knows what the book actually looks like.

Yeah, too much unknown here so I won't be buying this particular book. I'll have to be patient and wait for the right copy to become available.

2 hours ago, MadGenius said:

I don't think this is the creep engine slab. The book was graded in October 2017 which I believe was after the creep engine case was retired.

Yeah. I thought I saw the ultrasonic weld lines but couldn't be certain. Hard to tell when the picture looks like it was taken from the inside of a fish bowl.