• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Newsstand Animated Harleys?
1 1

3 posts in this topic

We picked up our 3rd large collection of 1999-2004 DC animated books this week. Nearly full runs of Batman Gotham Adventures, Batman Strikes, Justice League Unlimited, etc etc etc.

And I noticed that a few of the Harley books happened to be newsstand editions. These animated books are harder to find in nice shape than most books from the time period, which is reflected in so many of the commons being $12-15 in high grade on MYCS. I can't imagine that the newsstand quantities on these were much at all.

Whether anyone cares? That's another matter...

IMG_2274.JPG

On 11/19/2018 at 9:43 PM, lighthouse said:

We picked up our 3rd large collection of 1999-2004 DC animated books this week. Nearly full runs of Batman Gotham Adventures, Batman Strikes, Justice League Unlimited, etc etc etc.

And I noticed that a few of the Harley books happened to be newsstand editions. These animated books are harder to find in nice shape than most books from the time period, which is reflected in so many of the commons being $12-15 in high grade on MYCS. I can't imagine that the newsstand quantities on these were much at all.

Whether anyone cares? That's another matter...

IMG_2274.JPG

:takeit:

I see that no one really answered your question, so I'll take a stab at it... However, it's just my 2c

I actually think a lot of these early Harleys are found more commonly as newsstand editions.  My general sense is that a lot of the Batman "animated" titles, where Harley tended to have her early appearances, were not highly collected titles that sold well in LCSs. These titles (IMHO) tended to have a higher newsstand presence, where younger and more casual readers/buyers would find them. In my mind, this means that the direct/newsstand breakdown for these books does not reflect the typical breakdown for the period.

Later, as Harley began to catch on, I also think that many collectors began to target non-traditional sources for these issues, increasing the newsstand survival rate. In my own experience, I have a lot of these early Harley books, and most came from used bookstores, antique malls, garage sales, etc. Those that I did find at LCSs tended to be in bulk boxes of older children's books.

I have no evidence for any of this... just a sense based on my own narrow observations.