• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Atlas Marvel Boy & Astonishing Books

14 posts in this topic

Awesome set @IMJ.  I completed that run too a while back.  I had to get two #4s because of the GLOD (analness, on my part) I also added a different Marvel Boy with the Daring Mystery and would love to complete it with a USA #7 which I think is the only other GA appearance of the first Marvel Boy but that book has eluded and is pricey.

2011121407141.jpg

2011121407591.jpg

2011122002031.jpg

2111121841481.jpg

2111121843241.jpg

2011122002381.jpg

2011122003191.jpg

2111121847001.jpg

Edited by telerites

Awesome set, Telerites! Your copy of Daring Mystery Comics is just great!  Although my set was designed to support a Quasar collection and so I don't think I'd pursue earlier incarnations of any character using the Marvel Boy name though.

Those Astonishing's, especially your 4, 5 & 6 are really nice! Eventually I'll have to upgrade to nicer mid-grade copies like that, but I think a lot of people under estimate how hard it is to build this set. I think there might be 3 copies of Marvel Boy #1 on eBay at the moment, but each one has some kind of really serious flaw, and they have resided there for some time now.

6 minutes ago, IMJ said:

Awesome set, Telerites! Your copy of Daring Mystery Comics is just great!  Although my set was designed to support a Quasar collection and so I don't think I'd pursue earlier incarnations of any character using the Marvel Boy name though.

Those Astonishing's, especially your 4, 5 & 6 are really nice! Eventually I'll have to upgrade to nicer mid-grade copies like that, but I think a lot of people under estimate how hard it is to build this set. I think there might be 3 copies of Marvel Boy #1 on eBay at the moment, but each one has some kind of really serious flaw, and they have resided there for some time now.

Astonishing 3 and 4 are two of y favorite Everett covers ever and he had some great ones.  The Daring Mystery is from the Chicorel Collection.  

23 minutes ago, telerites said:

Show off :acclaim: Like I asked Cat in another thread, yeah, but do you have a Major Inapak or even a Captain Gallant (shrug)

inapakfc.jpg

inapakbc.jpg

1 minute ago, telerites said:
3 minutes ago, MrBedrock said:

inapakfc.jpg

I knew this was coming lol

I have a Captain Gallant somewhere in the store stock but I don't have a scan handy. I have kept a copy of Major Inapak because...Sci-fi + Bob Powell = :cloud9:

2 minutes ago, MrBedrock said:

I have a Captain Gallant somewhere in the store stock but I don't have a scan handy. I have kept a copy of Major Inapak because...Sci-fi + Bob Powell = :cloud9:

I know we are side-tracking the OP thread but I totally agree, Richard.  The art is incredible.  So many great artists we don't talk about enough.  I, too, have copies of both but then who doesn't :nyah:

@IMJ sorry for the side-track.  I meant to ask earlier if you plan on getting any or all of yours graded ? Some nice books that appear very solid grades.

1 hour ago, telerites said:

I know we are side-tracking the OP thread but I totally agree, Richard.  The art is incredible.  So many great artists we don't talk about enough.  I, too, have copies of both but then who doesn't :nyah:

@IMJ sorry for the side-track.  I meant to ask earlier if you plan on getting any or all of yours graded ? Some nice books that appear very solid grades.

It's no problem at all - there are some great books being posted here! I have a modest slab collection of a few hundred books, but it's unlikely that these will be joining them. I'd assume finding higher grade copies of this set in the 7.5 - 9.0 range for slabbing. Eventually I would definitely like to upgrade my copies - the 7.0+ Astonishing books finding their way in to this thread are amazing!