• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Do you remember the first SA comic you bought at a store?
3 3

59 posts in this topic

10 hours ago, Sweet Lou 14 said:

(Side note in the wake of Stan the Man's passing ... for all the greatness of Kirby and Ditko, Stan Lee's words on those covers excited my imagination and sold me on those books as much as anything else.)

Same for me. I loved Stan's writing... so fun and hokey and REAL!!!

Also, I'd say your $1900 spending spree turned into both a fabulous collection, AND one hell of an investment. :)

First ones I bought from a bus station newsstand in Manchester, England, around summer 1974...

801737.jpg

and

681987.jpg

Also, from a newsagents shop in Peel, while on holiday in the Isle of Man that same summer...

677095.jpg

Most likely a pence copy, though.

Edited by Ken Aldred

11 hours ago, oldrover said:

Same for me. I loved Stan's writing... so fun and hokey and REAL!!!

Also, I'd say your $1900 spending spree turned into both a fabulous collection, AND one hell of an investment. :)

Thanks.  I am pretty sure that I spent $250 on the FF #12, $200 on the FF #48, and $100 on the ASM #129.  I think all of the other books were under $100 each, but unfortunately I can't recall the details.

Edited by Sweet Lou 14

The SA was before my time as a kid, but I recall my first 'big' SA purchase from the New York Comic Art Con in Summer '79 at the Statler Hotel was a mid-grade Captain America 100, which I still have.  Not worth much, but that book holds a ton of good memories.  I thank my dad who was my 'wing-man' (and literal pay pal) at my first show for producing the $10 to acquire that gem.

11 minutes ago, zosocane said:

That is breath-taking.  He still kept a steady hand, even in his late years, as evidenced by his sig.

He had these sight problems, as explained by Evanier in his biography, but these mostly affected the drawing, as at some point he was unable to get perspective (depth) well.
This already shows in his mid-1980s work.
I love how this attention to such "little" things (as avoiding the signature stamp) show the care he had for others.

Back in 1985 when I was 13 years old & knew nothing about comics I went to the LCS. I wanted to see what the oldest comic they had in the store would be. I knew Superman was an old character so I asked the guy behind the counter to pull their oldest stack of Supermans.  As I waded to the bottom of the stack, their oldest issue was #129 (1st Titano). Well, I was hooked.  They had it graded Poor for $10.80.  I bought it, took it home, read it, then made it look way nicer by using my black marker to fix the spine! doh!

19 hours ago, Moondog said:

1958.  On vacation in Wisconsin.  My older brother is proudly showing off his catch.  7-year-old Moondog is proudly showing off his Action 245.  The image of the 245 is not the one in the photo...

Scott and Fish.jpg

LOL 1958 Tight.jpg

ACTION-COMICS-245-FRONT.jpeg

Beyond awesome (thumbsu

On 11/24/2018 at 3:00 PM, vaillant said:

Hmm… Yes, and since I am italian I was already adult when I did.
I was 22 and it was this Fantastic Four #8, which later on I have had signed by Jack Kirby when I visited him: :whee:
I still remember what I paid, in 1991: $60.
owyvB9S.jpg
xr7KyUx.jpg

What a special book :x

18 minutes ago, vaillant said:

At this point… since I don’t recall if I posted this, except privately in conversations with some boardies. I bought that #8 a few days before.
Picture taken on August 18, 1991 (a few days before Jack’s 78th birthday, IIRC).
So you know at last:
1) How I look(ed) like
2) I am not making things up. lol

CSuJpQU.jpg

what a special moment :x

was this photo taken in San Diego? 

24 minutes ago, vaillant said:

No, when David Anthony Kraft asked me to publish the interview in english, "Comics Interview" incorrectly reported that I interviewed him in San Diego in 1993 (not sure why), while it was in August 1991 at his Thousand Oaks home.
It has been an afternoon with a dreamlike quality. You have to consider I rarely travelled, at the time I had not even been in famous italian cities like Roma or Firenze, but when the opportunity to go to Los Angeles arose, I did not hesitate: I had this in mind, as I knew the address, and when I rang his front door bell, and when I realized that behind the front windows blind it was him that was approaching to open the door… well, I felt my legs trembling -- no kidding!
And he was *exactly* as I imagined him. What a great guy!

:acclaim::luhv:

16 hours ago, Primetime said:

what a special moment :x

was this photo taken in San Diego? 

Congratulations on such a fabulous signature and a photo to cherish forever. Just curious Claudio, did you ask Jack to sign the cover or did he just naturally gravitate to the splash? Back in those days, it seems all the artists signed the splashes but never the covers. Stan too. I always wondered about that and if perhaps there was some kind of contractual thing that prevented them from signing covers.