• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Do you remember the first SA comic you bought at a store?
3 3

59 posts in this topic

I definitely remember mine...

F5C0BB9A-A681-4165-8142-AF6AA098AD19.thumb.jpeg.002c16c9fb6eb1b8d61a946a2359dd63.jpeg

I was in the second grade... for some reason the cover caught my eye. LOL

Unrelated fact: I married a redhead. :)

What was the first SA comic you can recall buying, either at a newsstand like I did (geezer alert) or in a shop?

Edited by oldrover
SA specificity

Bought my first SA books at a comic shop as I wasn't around to buy them off the racks.

I know I picked up the following books that day:

FF#57 (still have this one)

FF#72

FF#84

First book I remember buying off a spinner was some issue of ROM.  Can't recall the issue or the cover.  But I know it was ROM.  

Would have been early 1980's.  We had an antique/comic book shop.   For some reason the owner put the X-Men books in the back room away from the other stuff.  You had to ask permission to go back there and look through the box.  This was the only one I could afford (probably less than $10 at the time), so I bought it.  Thought I was a big man on campus.   Then about 6 years later, I was in College, and went back in one summer, he had a mid grade X-Men #1.  $500.  Couldn't afford it.  Wish I could have.  

X-Men_Vol_1_47.jpg

Edited by Mercury Man

My first book at the newsstand would have been an issue of Turok in the early 60's. My first Marvel bought at the newsstand (with my own money from chores) was ASM 58 …. GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

First SA comic my older brother bought via mail order from Robert Crestohl was Silver Surfer #1 vf- tear on cover.

First SA comic I bought with my own money was Capt America #100 vf for over guide at a monstrous $4. Back then Howard the Duck #1 was a spec at $3. Later I flipped the Capt America #100 for an aggressive $8, and the adult collector complained bitterly and loudly about my over guide pricing as a teenager :) but still bought it.

This was my first superhero comic. I purchased it at Ebbeling's Pharmacy which is still in business today.

image.png.bfde918b553e808668dbcb4eeeea15f6.png

This was my first Marvel comic. It was purchased at another neighbourhood drug store two years later when I had all of the DC books I wanted for that month. Lucky for me! Even as an 8 year old I could immediately tell the huge difference in how the characters were portrayed.

image.png.633cf1303ccff3ed9af3d3397a5cc878.png

Adventure 344 was the first book I spent 12 cents on. Used comics were everywhere, either abandoned or in the trash, or sometimes an older kid would come by with a wagon and you'd get a couple of books for a dime.  No one in my group bought new comics.  Eventually I stopped and didn't read much until I stumbled upon a used Captain Marvel #29.

It was a handful of Ditko ASMs back in the early 90's. Let's be kind and say they were reader copies, but the stories were fantastic!

in grade school my allowance was a nickel a day - 35 cents a week , i was supposed to empty the dishwasher every day for it... but i usually didn't...

my first comic off the racks (that i specifically remember) was the great double sized issue #102  !!

The Amazing Spider-Man (1963) #102

Edited by 1950's war comics

all comics were kinda magical when i was in the 4th thru 6th grade , i remember liking Sub Mariners , Spidey , Hulk and with the DC's i liked Flash and Batman/Superman ,.. but i also liked Archies , Richie Rich , Little Lulu almost everything (except romance comics were a big no-no to boys ,... they were for girls only) , i didn't buy all that many of the comics i mentioned because my allowance had to include baseball cards and candy too lol but we kids in the neighborhood shared reading comics back then so thats how i was able to read them all