• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Minor buyers rant (from a 15-year old sale... LOL)

10 posts in this topic

rantrant

Years ago, I bought a raw Silver Surfer 1, purported to be in VF condition (off eBay... but this really isn't about eBay) . When I got it, I realized it wasn't. More like FN, maybe FN+. But I decided not to do anything about it. Figured I'd just let it go, and time would be my friend in terms of the value.

Just sent that book to CGC. It came back 6.0...

...restored. Color touch. 

It's not really worth unrestoring at that grade, if that could even be done. But that takes it from a $500 book to a sub-$200 book. :censored:

The rant is two-fold... against people who over-grade in selling... and against MYSELF for not doing anything at the time when I had cause, WITHOUT the knowledge of the restoration.

But if the person had KNOWLEDGE of the condition without disclosing... well...here's my message to him:

2n4ydo.gif 

:devil:

Rant off. :)

When looking at a book like this on E-Bay, I always ask myself why the seller has a key book in VF and it is not slabbed. It could be the seller himself removed it from a 6.0 purple slab and sold it raw. It happens more than you realize. Sorry this happened to you but take some comfort in the fact that it has happened to most of us.

9 minutes ago, Bomber-Bob said:

When looking at a book like this on E-Bay, I always ask myself why the seller has a key book in VF and it is not slabbed. It could be the seller himself removed it from a 6.0 purple slab and sold it raw. It happens more than you realize. Sorry this happened to you but take some comfort in the fact that it has happened to most of us.

agree , and in the coin collecting community it is a given that key dates, such as the 1909 svb , 1916-D Mercury, 1928 Peace dollar etc. are NEVER to be purchased raw as they are likely the coin equivalent of a PLOD or worse

5 hours ago, 1950's war comics said:

agree , and in the coin collecting community it is a given that key dates, such as the 1909 svb , 1916-D Mercury, 1928 Peace dollar etc. are NEVER to be purchased raw as they are likely the coin equivalent of a PLOD or worse

I have zero knowledge of coins. Curious ... what do people do to coins to 'PLOD' them?

1 hour ago, Gaard said:

I have zero knowledge of coins. Curious ... what do people do to coins to 'PLOD' them?

they alter or clean it and when sent in to CGC parent company NGC for grading they might come bag in a " body bag" which means they wont grade it , or if they do grade it they just give it a "genuine/cleaned" designation without a grade

8 minutes ago, oldrover said:

Me too. And how do you alter a coin? 

I'm not sure how they do it, but the most famous alterations usually involve either adding or removing a mint mark. Slipping a 1909 VDB penny by as a 1909S VDB would be an example. 1922 is another one. 

Another would be gold plating an 1883 5cent piece.  Its is almost identical to the $5 gold coins then in circulation and simply has a V ( Roman  for 5) as its value. 

On ‎11‎/‎21‎/‎2018 at 4:29 PM, Bomber-Bob said:

15 years ago the cost of slabbing a maybe VF SS 1 didn't necessarily make sense. And a lot of people just don't have the cash to lay out for these things, that's why they are selling books.