• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2019 Collecting Goals Thread
3 3

94 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, batman_fan said:

Just wondering what the appropriate timeline is for starting it.  I always find it interesting to see who is looking for what and then the follow-up on how they did.

Well - there still is clink and comic connect. And hopefully some art rep sales.   but - you can start now. Is your goal to get more peanuts art? 

Edited by Panelfan1

1 hour ago, Panelfan1 said:

Well - there still is clink and comic connect. And hopefully some art rep sales.   but - you can start now. Is your goal to get more peanuts art? 

I think for 2019 my goals are to:

1.  Make more progress on selling off comics.  I started in 2018 but have a ton more to get rid of.

2.  Maybe do a little trimming of the original art collection.

3.  Pick up one new Peanuts daily or Sunday.  (thumbsu

Edited by batman_fan

2 hours ago, batman_fan said:

I think for 2019 my goals are to:

1.  Make more progress on selling off comics.  I started in 2018 but have a ton more to get rid of.

2.  Maybe do a little trimming of the original art collection.

3.  Pick up one new Peanuts daily or Sunday.  (thumbsu

How are you selling off the comics?  I am always looking for a good way.

17 minutes ago, Peter L said:

How are you selling off the comics?  I am always looking for a good way.

I have been getting them graded.  I have sold a little on the boards but find you need to typically be pricing pretty far below FMV to sell here.  EBay is better in general.

8 hours ago, batman_fan said:

I have been getting them graded.  I have sold a little on the boards but find you need to typically be pricing pretty far below FMV to sell here.  EBay is better in general.

I am bringing my key comics to conventions to sell, and am using the money to offset my costs of attending, and any art purchases there. The secret is to price them out ahead of time and stick to a bottom line price. Once I sell off all my keys, I will sell the rest of my bulk collection to a dealer friend for $.50 a piece, or thereabouts. 

Edited by PhilipB2k17

1 hour ago, PhilipB2k17 said:

Once I sell off all my keys, I will sell the rest of my bulk collection to a dealer friend for $.50 a piece, or thereabouts. 

I speak from experience... You'll be lucky to get that much for them. For anything post 1980, try $0.10/piece. My advice is to keep the keys with the bulk, don't let anyone cherry pick, and sell the whole lot together. The keys will be the only motivation for the bulk to go out the door. And for me, getting that bulk out the door was back-breaking work.

There was a good discussion of the options here a few months back-

14 hours ago, batman_fan said:

I always find it interesting to see who is looking for what and then the follow-up on how they did.

I always like reading these threads, but never quite understand them. It seems like my collecting is much more reactive to what's available than proactive. What does having a goal mean exactly? You're going to beat the bushes for NFS pieces? Or you're going to save/raise money for a piece you know is coming up at auction? (Which is something you usually have 1-2 months notice on, at most.) This hobby moves so fast and so slow at the same time!

2 minutes ago, BCarter27 said:

I speak from experience... You'll be lucky to get that much for them. For anything post 1980, try $0.10/piece. My advice is to keep the keys with the bulk, don't let anyone cherry pick, and sell the whole lot together. The keys will be the only motivation for the bulk to go out the door. And for me, getting that bulk out the door was back-breaking work.

There was a good discussion of the options here a few months back-

I always like reading these threads, but never quite understand them. It seems like my collecting is much more reactive to what's available than proactive. What does having a goal mean exactly? You're going to beat the bushes for NFS pieces? Or you're going to save/raise money for a piece you know is coming up at auction? (Which is something you usually have 1-2 months notice on, at most.) This hobby moves so fast and so slow at the same time!

I think it really depends on how you collect.  When I first started buying OA, I would grab a lot of stuff but quickly decided to focus on splashes and covers and wanted to pick up nice examples of every major Marvel and DC hero and villain ideally from one of the signature artist so for Spiderman, I wanted a Romita or Ditko example of a splash or cover.  Unfortunately reality set in and that wasn't going to be affordable but that has been my general collecting goal.  So setting something as a goal for 2019 for me would be pick up an Ironman splash by Gene Colan.  Now if nothing shows up for sell during the year and I can't pry something out of someone else collection then I failed.  I have actually been pretty successful taking this approach although if something shows up unexpected that isn't one of my goals, I still go for it.  That is how I need up with my Kirby pre-hero monster splash. But deciding to get a Peanuts strip this year led to me closing out with three. 

peanutsframed.jpg

Peanuts_1_26_62.jpg

Peanuts_7_25_61.jpg

Here I am just live streaming my thoughts about 2019 goals to be referenced at the end of 2019.

I need to get rid of a ton of stuff at the lower end of the spectrum.  But, I know dumping does not work, so I will have to invest personal time to maximize the return on my past purchases.

I have the lucky situation where I have considerable time for this effort.

At the high end, I don't see myself spending for art at these levels, but I watch because I have some decent stuff which might be curving toward a peak value.  I would prefer to sell just before peak, to give the buyer a little glow.

For 2019....

-sell one piece @ $5000 or greater

-continue selling lesser pieces on a semi-regular basis

-books need to go, efforting as we speak.

-continue to experiment with bulk lots, what do buyers want

Subject to editing, David

3 hours ago, BCarter27 said:

That's kinda my thoughts too.  I never set goals, especially since I don't want to beat the bushes and offering big bucks for NFS pieces.  I know what I want and I'll know it when I see it.  Very often, there are pieces that would not have been on any list I made before hand, but I fell in love when I saw it and had to go after it.

I'm very reactive like you.

Malvin

18 hours ago, batman_fan said:

Just wondering what the appropriate timeline is for starting it.  I always find it interesting to see who is looking for what and then the follow-up on how they did.

How about just re-titling this thread the 2019 collecting goals thread so that a separate thread doesn't get started as well? 2c

As for 2020...no one should start that thread until on or after December 15, 2019. :sumo:

1 hour ago, delekkerste said:

How about just re-titling this thread the 2019 collecting goals thread so that a separate thread doesn't get started as well? 2c

As for 2020...no one should start that thread until on or after December 15, 2019. :sumo:

How do you change the title hm

I'd be on the lookout for:

1. Alex Toth art. A Torpedo page would be glorious,  but highly unlikely. Otherwise,  something published that he inked himself. 

2. John Buscema Conan splash or cover

3. Kelley Jones Sandman page

Ultimately, I'd like to maintain the quality of my collection and add top tier examples. 

Goals ... mine are like my budget : quite low, but large and diverse enough that I can have hope to reach one or two next year 

- A nice looking painted book cover (thriller, action, science-fiction)

- A good X-Men/Batman/Spider-Man page

- A Perez/Davis/Wieringo page

- A Crossgen (Negation or Ruse) or Wildstorm (Majestic, StormWatch, Wildcats) page

- A comic strip

- A page from a fumetti

The key is finding art that matches my tastes and my budget ...

Only two goals for 2019:

1.  Buy only the very, very, very few pieces that I still really, really, really want if they should become available.  I've reached the stage of my life and collecting career where other priorities loom larger than my OA collection (none of us are getting any younger :whistle: ).  The vast majority of pieces that I was interested in acquiring 5 years ago have either already been acquired or I no longer have interest in them at current prices.  If it's not on my current CAF Want List, chances are I can live without it.  Of the things I still really want, I'm hoping that a Sienkiewicz New Mutants cover and more Paul Smith X-Men pages lie in my future over the next 12 months, and that maybe one or two more things from my Want List happen to turn up as well (I'd still really love a Parsonavich ARBBH cover!) :wishluck: 

2.  Continue the consolidation/restructuring/downsizing of my collection.  While funding new purchases with sales of existing art has been a goal for the past 3 years (and successful - after my latest round of 2018 sales, I have not put a dime of new money into the hobby/market since 2015!), I have a new, more explicit goal for 2019 and going forward:  shrink the size of my collection by between 20% and 35% from its peak size (measured by market value, not quantity) in the coming years.  Buying another apartment this year (still "sale pending" as it were) really helped to refocus my priorities and make me realize that *some* of the money currently tied up in my collection can probably be better used for other things.  While I still hope to be acquiring big OA pieces (some of my biggest acquisitions have occurred over the past 3 years while I was laying out no net cash!), I'll continue to sell/trade to do so, as well as slowly letting go of more art that I've decided that I don't need to hold for the long-run.  I expect my collection to get more concentrated/focused and to lose some of its breadth as a result, which is a bit of a shame, but, alas, there comes a time when priorities must be reassessed and trade-offs must be made. :sorry:  

8 minutes ago, delekkerste said:

If it's not on my current CAF Want List, chances are I can live without it.

I'll admit, I clicked through. Interesting "want", this:

STEPHEN BISSETTE & JOHN TOTLEBEN - SWAMP THING #39 & 48 COVERS
Looking for the covers to Swamp Thing v. 2 #39 and #48 by Stephen Bissette & John Totleben.

Not what I'd expect...care to add some color?

29 minutes ago, vodou said:

I'll admit, I clicked through. Interesting "want", this:

STEPHEN BISSETTE & JOHN TOTLEBEN - SWAMP THING #39 & 48 COVERS
Looking for the covers to Swamp Thing v. 2 #39 and #48 by Stephen Bissette & John Totleben.

Not what I'd expect...care to add some color?

My peak nostalgia is 1983 to 1986, and one of my favorite series at the time was the Alan Moore run on Swamp Thing.  I believe #48 was the first issue I picked up, but, I eventually got and read all the back issues from the run as well.  My favorite storyline from the run was "Still Waters"/"Fish Story" from issues #38-39 about the creepy town of underwater vampires.  The #38 cover has been available a couple of times before (but, it's not great), which is why the #39 would be preferred, while the #48 cover with the insanely disturbing Invunche would also be great, with the added bonus of the nostalgia connection as well. 2c 

I have one good Bissette/Totleben ST page (like most of my collection, it's not on CAF) and have had numerous near-misses on acquiring larger pieces from the run in the past as well. 

Edited by delekkerste

I like more general goals not specific ones tied to one specific piece or another. I find the sea is always changing and if i don't want to run around or get swamped I have to be willing to correct course when the need arises. Having said that.

1. Only buy new art with funds generated from old art.

2. Acquire another top ten personal favorite marvel 80s cover.

3. Get a frame-able published frank miller hero page from 80s.

4. Sandman Talking page from original run, more cryptic the better.

5. Covert more star wars props and autographs to comic art.