• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2019 Collecting Goals Thread
3 3

94 posts in this topic

4 hours ago, delekkerste said:

It's been a banner year for focused acquisitions for me.  Somehow I've managed to knock out 3 of my top 10 remaining want list items - the Marvel Feature v. 2 (feat. Red Sonja) #1 cover (one of the two comics that served as my introduction to the hobby), my all-time favorite Sienkiewicz cover (New Mutants #31) and a Parsonavich ARBBH cover!  I also finally got my (Eclipse) Airboy cover (only care about the first dozen issues of the series; I got #6); another page to Uncanny X-Men #172 (I now have more than 2/3rds of the pages plus the cover from the book that started it all for me) and several other major 1980s-era wants, some of which will eventually make it to CAF. 

DId Frank Thorne sign the Marvel Features #1 cover? :nyah:

54 minutes ago, Brian Peck said:

DId Frank Thorne sign the Marvel Features #1 cover? :nyah:

339593763_KaneRedSonja.jpg.60eecd1fd62aa76086627c6abbe1f284.jpg

(even if he had drawn this one, I wouldn't let him near it with an uncapped pen or marker!!)

Edited by delekkerste

Did not meet my overall goal to restrain myself...but I did make progress on a few other fronts :

- upgrade Silvestri Inferno UXM

- first Marvel large art from Silver Age

- add one more prime page from all-time run / artist favourite (UXM Byrne)

- get one example of Davis Excalibur (hopefully arriving over the next few days)

And I am afraid the November Heritage will present a couple more temptations....

10 minutes ago, Bronty said:

My 2019 would have been good even with a single acquisition (naturally I bought other stuff :flamed: ).

A bit OT, but I got to add a true memorable childhood standout piece of art.    Since I like tempting fate, it hasn't arrived yet, and cost what is for me a nausea inducing amount of money, but I'd have been equally nauseous if I let it slip by.    I believe this was not just a record for me in terms of spending but a record by a factor of 8 lol 

As a kid, the few nintendo games that made an impression on me were contra, super c, mike tyson, super mario, and maybe excitebike.   Actually managed to get the art for Contra, just now.   It was in Sweden the past 13 or 14 years, but my friend David in Sweden was able to procure its safe passage and it is enroute.

A bit of history:   Contra was first released as Gryzor on a small European console which is why you see the Gryzor logo.   Then the game was released in the US as Contra with the same art, and then later in Europe on the NES as 'probotector' with new art and with the humans in the game swapped out for robots for some silly censorship reason.

Anyways, the game is one of the top ten classics of the era and the illustration is equally awesome, by the talented but sadly deceased Bob Wakelin who did a lot of game illustrations for Ocean and also a good amount of Marvel and DC work in Europe.    Needless to say, a record for the artist.

Contra!!!    Spread gun!!!  I can rock it like its 1988!   The handsome gent is my friend David.    David I didn't ask before posting, sorry :P

IMG_4816.jpg

IMG_4818.jpg

WOW! That's incredible! My wife and I were actually just musing today on what video game art we'd want if we ever got into that market, and this was near the top for me. Huge congrats on this! I'm sure whatever you paid was worth it.

6 minutes ago, Varanis said:

WOW! That's incredible! My wife and I were actually just musing today on what video game art we'd want if we ever got into that market, and this was near the top for me. Huge congrats on this! I'm sure whatever you paid was worth it.

I appreciate it, thanks :) And if you have any questions feel free to message me.

Yeah, I'm happy with it even at the price and the former owner did ok too ;)

Edited by Bronty

1 hour ago, Bronty said:

My 2019 would have been good even with a single acquisition (naturally I bought other stuff :flamed: ).

A bit OT, but I got to add a true memorable childhood standout piece of art.    Since I like tempting fate, it hasn't arrived yet, and cost what is for me a nausea inducing amount of money, but I'd have been equally nauseous if I let it slip by.    I believe this was not just a record for me in terms of spending but a record by a factor of 8 lol 

As a kid, the few nintendo games that made an impression on me were contra, super c, mike tyson, super mario, and maybe excitebike.   Actually managed to get the art for Contra, just now.   It was in Sweden the past 13 or 14 years, but my friend David in Sweden was able to procure its safe passage and it is enroute.

A bit of history:   Contra was first released as Gryzor on a small European console which is why you see the Gryzor logo.   Then the game was released in the US as Contra with the same art, and then later in Europe on the NES as 'probotector' with new art and with the humans in the game swapped out for robots for some silly censorship reason.

Anyways, the game is one of the top ten classics of the era and the illustration is equally awesome, by the talented but sadly deceased Bob Wakelin who did a lot of game illustrations for Ocean and also a good amount of Marvel and DC work in Europe.    Needless to say, a record for the artist.

Contra!!!    Spread gun!!!  I can rock it like its 1988!   The handsome gent is my friend David.    David I didn't ask before posting, sorry :P

IMG_4816.jpg

IMG_4818.jpg

Wow, that's awesome.  Huge congrats.

5 hours ago, Bronty said:

I appreciate it, thanks :) And if you have any questions feel free to message me.

Yeah, I'm happy with it even at the price and the former owner did ok too ;)

You’re killing me (good thing I have 30 lives). That is a Holy Grail. 

And I just ordered a Contra shirt yesterday. 

15 hours ago, Bronty said:

as published

220px-Contra_cover.jpg

One more piece of history - both the figures on the front of the box are Arnie in Predator.

Contra-Predator.jpg

What was the deal with the pseudo-xenomorph framed in the background of the box? Different origins?

derivative of aliens, of course.   

So basicallly the cover is an aliens v Arnie mashup, in a way.

Bob made no bones about the image sourcing nor about the fact he thought it was a boring job lol

You can read a bit more here if you want (scroll to Gryzor).    Bob clearly had a great sense of humor when he was still with us.

https://www.exotica.org.uk/wiki/Bob_Wakelin

Edited by Bronty

On 10/12/2019 at 10:11 PM, batman_fan said:

How did I do?

1.  Got some more stuff graded and sold a little but still a lot more to do.  I give myself a C-

2.  I listed several items and had the chance to move a few pieces but the offers were a little low so give myself a D-.

3.  Snagged this beauty. so A+  :banana:

IMG_3600.jpg

I'd like to help you with #2 ;)