• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2019 Collecting Goals Thread
3 3

94 posts in this topic

1 minute ago, JadeGiant said:

I have come to learn this .... sadly 

Good luck with 2019 and into 2020!

Thanks, same to you.  My big issue with letting go that piece is  Tom Palmer inked it and he made Sal look even better than Sal normally does (that last part was for Tim).

4 minutes ago, batman_fan said:

Thanks, same to you.  My big issue with letting go that piece is  Tom Palmer inked it and he made Sal look even better than Sal normally does (that last part was for Tim).

I hear you ... sorry for the thread derails to all ... back to regular thread posting ... 

On 12/1/2018 at 12:35 AM, Brian Peck said:

Harvey Kurtzman - Little Annie Fanny

Joe Shuster - Superman

Gil Kane - Green Lantern oath page

Neal Adams - Batman/Deadman/Spectre

Strange Tales #135 any interior page (Jack Kirby and Ayers) Nick Fury and the introduction of S.H.I.E.L.D 

Daredevil #47 any interior page (Gene Colan and George Klein)

Ms Marvel - Dave Cockrum

Nearing the ned of the year and I completely missed mu 2019 goals. Not a one.

I purposely didn’t put down any goals for 2019 because I wanted to go with the flow and be open to unexpected opportunities. I felt in 2018 I had a strict idea of what I wanted and when something nice came my way at a reasonable price, I let it get away, often with regret. 

I did want an early G.I. Joe page after seeing them in Bechara’s portfolio in 2018 and I did walk away with one this year. So that was accomplished. I have been fortunate enough to acquire a cover of some sort every year since I started collecting but broke that streak this year. 

On 10/12/2019 at 8:11 PM, batman_fan said:

How did I do?

1.  Got some more stuff graded and sold a little but still a lot more to do.  I give myself a C-

2.  I listed several items and had the chance to move a few pieces but the offers were a little low so give myself a D-.

3.  Snagged this beauty. so A+  :banana:

IMG_3600.jpg

Need to update

1.  Still a C-, got a ton of stuff to sell that is already graded and even more to get graded.

2.  Sold two pieces recently and a pretty nice profit, solid B  :banana:

3.  Still an A+ but missed out on it being an A++ :cry:

On 10/14/2019 at 9:06 AM, delekkerste said:

It's been a banner year for focused acquisitions for me.  Somehow I've managed to knock out 3 of my top 10 remaining want list items - the Marvel Feature v. 2 (feat. Red Sonja) #1 cover (one of the two comics that served as my introduction to the hobby), my all-time favorite Sienkiewicz cover (New Mutants #31) and a Parsonavich ARBBH cover!  I also finally got my (Eclipse) Airboy cover (only care about the first dozen issues of the series; I got #6); another page to Uncanny X-Men #172 (I now have more than 2/3rds of the pages plus the cover from the book that started it all for me) and several other major 1980s-era wants, some of which will eventually make it to CAF. 

It's been such a great year that, at this point, there are probably fewer than half a dozen "must-have" pieces left on my Want List that both (a) may become available at some point and (b) would still be within my comfort zone price-wise if they do.  I guess I'm in the twilight of my active collecting days. :eek: 

On the downsizing front, I'm running a moderate deficit for the year so far, though, I expect to at least halve that number after the Nov. Heritage auction (where I have a number of consignments).  And, given the small number of remaining Want List items, I expect to run a surplus in most years going forward, so, if I don't manage to close the gap before year-end, I'm not too bothered.  In any case, I am more focused at the moment on making sales than adding more art...I am feeling pretty content about where my collection is at this point after 2019's acquisitions. :cloud9: 

A flurry of recent sales has brought me to within spitting distance of breaking even on a cash-in/cash-out basis for 2019.  :banana: 

Won't quite get back in black this year, having de-camped to Scotland for the holidays, but, I'm confident of making it up in 2020.  

Since my last post in this thread, I picked up a GREAT Totleben Swamp Thing page, so good that getting a cover from the run is probably no longer necessary.  Also picked up a few indie items that probably weren't true must-haves, but, I'm happy to have them in my collection.  Also picked up one of my all-time favorite Kaluta pieces from the last Profiles auction.

All in all, it was a fabulous year on the OA front!!  And, I still haven't put in a dime of net new money into my collection since 2015 - and, yet, I'm happier than I've ever been with where my collection is at the moment. #winning 

Edited by delekkerste

On 11/23/2018 at 8:45 PM, Mycroft said:

Goals ... mine are like my budget : quite low, but large and diverse enough that I can have hope to reach one or two next year 

- A nice looking painted book cover (thriller, action, science-fiction)

- A good X-Men/Batman/Spider-Man page

- A Perez/Davis/Wieringo page

- A Crossgen (Negation or Ruse) or Wildstorm (Majestic, StormWatch, Wildcats) page

- A comic strip

- A page from a fumetti

The key is finding art that matches my tastes and my budget ...

A nice looking painted book cover (thriller, action, science-fiction) : done, although it's an unpublished one, but for a book by an author I enjoy.

A good X-Men/Batman/Spider-Man page : nope ...

A Perez/Davis/Wieringo page : had an opportunity for Davis, but decided against it ... still thinking about a Wieringo page I saw on the web but still not sure it's the one for me (I waited too long a few years ago about a Spider-Man page by Wieringo and a few minor pages by Perez and it still stings).

A Crossgen (Negation or Ruse) or Wildstorm (Majestic, StormWatch, Wildcats) page : nope ... 

A comic strip : It may happen in 2020, there is one that keeps popping on ebay and that matches my tastes ...

A page from a fumetti : nope ....

But I bought a Disney illustration featuring Gyro Gearloose, two Star Wars related pages by Stéphane Roux, my first Magic The Gathering related art (four painted panels from a canonical webcomic published by WOTC) and a Legion of Super-Heroes page by Barry Kitson.

So it was a good year.

4 hours ago, delekkerste said:

A flurry of recent sales has brought me to within spitting distance of breaking even on a cash-in/cash-out basis for 2019.  :banana: 

Won't quite get back in black this year, having de-camped to Scotland for the holidays, but, I'm confident of making it up in 2020.  

Since my last post in this thread, I picked up a GREAT Totleben Swamp Thing page, so good that getting a cover from the run is probably no longer necessary.  Also picked up a few indie items that probably weren't true must-haves, but, that I'm happy to have them in my collection.  Also picked up one of my all-time favorite Kaluta pieces from the last Profiles auction.

All in all, it was a fabulous year on the OA front!!  And, I still haven't put in a dime of net new money into my collection since 2015 - and, yet, I'm happier than I've ever been with where my collection is at the moment. #winning 

Let’s see the totleben? :wishluck:

Edited by Bronty

I had a fine acquisitions year - 7 pages from specific issues I target as well as a few other 'vault' acquisitions

Vintage artists included: Bolton, Buscemas, Cardy, Chadwick, Colan, Everett (4 inks), Kane, Kojima, Leifeld (1st for me), Lim, Perez, Pollard and BWS

I did overpay at least twice...painful but felt necessary; that said, also got two pieces for substantially less than when I passed a few years back.

I was not as successful as Gene on sales as only ~25% of my buying defrayed so please check out my for sale gallery!

Edited by mtlevy1
grammar