• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2019 Collecting Goals Thread
3 3

94 posts in this topic

On 12/2/2018 at 12:33 AM, Peter L said:

My goals are:

1) To catalogue all of my art and where I bought it and how much I bought it for

2) Put all of my art in proper mylar and boards 

3) Put all of my comics in bags and boards

4) A good Steranko Nick Fury related item

5) Research and maybe buy Sean Murphy art

6) Not buy stuff I don't love

A good list. 

Let me say that I have bought things I didn't love when I bought them but later grew to appreciate them more for what they are.

Given that we don't know what's around the corner at the next auction, when none, a few or a lot of pierces you may be interested may come to auction, I try to not have specified goals (other than the broad goal to continue to collect higher end, nostalgic Iron Man and Avengers pieces). 

Usually my one continuing long term goal relates to continue working on the many-years effort of trying to pry a particular Iron Man or Avengers cover or splash from a completely locked vault or black hole collector.  But this past year I finally secured the last two I had been working on that were at all possible (longest--6 years) and secured one that just fell into my lap but required a month of hard back and forth.  There is another locked vault that has a few pieces I'm interested in but it's been over 7 years and it's just seems he won't ever sell so I'm taking a break from pursuing.  So for the first year since 2009, I'm not going to be continuing any years-long negotiations with an unwilling seller.

This past year I also branched out a bit and picked up several 70s  and 80s non-IM/Avengers pieces by artists such as Byrne and John Buscema so depending on what comes to light, I likely will continue that as well. 

I recently passed up two sub-$300 pages smack dab in my nostalgia zone because they didn't fit into my attempt to be more selective. The wife wisely vetoed them by saying they would just tie up funds for a better piece from the same period, but CHILDHOOD MEMORIES! HEART STRINGS! UGH!

Anybody else having trouble sticking to their "New Year's resolutions"? :(

44 minutes ago, BCarter27 said:

I recently passed up two sub-$300 pages smack dab in my nostalgia zone because they didn't fit into my attempt to be more selective. The wife wisely vetoed them by saying they would just tie up funds for a better piece from the same period, but CHILDHOOD MEMORIES! HEART STRINGS! UGH!

Anybody else having trouble sticking to their "New Year's resolutions"? :(

I stopped buying random but kinda cool low-end crapola last January. So far, so good :)

3 hours ago, vodou said:

I stopped buying random but kinda cool low-end crapola last January. So far, so good :)

I did the same thing. Try to stay away from the impulse buy on auctions or at cons. Used to see pieces at shows and picked them up because they are cool and cheap. I find those pieces now are ones I am selling. Over the last few years I have tried to limit my focus of my collection to artists I really like including many I don't have examples of. I also found last year I bought alot less art then in previous years.

2 hours ago, vodou said:

Thanks, but even I can't believe it lol, oh the willpower...

I made that switch several years back where I went from  buying stuff I thought was cool to only buying stuff I absolutely loved.  I went from buying 4 to 10 pieces a year to maybe 1 per year but I like the way things are coming together.

I always set myself goals. It motivates me to develop and fulfill myself. When there is a goal, you realize that you are not yet perfect, it means you have something to strive for. In general, I often go to a psychologist, and he approves of the fact that I set myself the bar, which I must achieve. He also advised me to start a special notebook https://onplanners.com/planners/best-planners-goal-setting in which I would write down my goals, and to note what I had achieved and which still had to be achieved. It helps to act faster to achieve something new.

I try not to set myself collecting goals, preferring to see what, if anything, turns-up of interest to me.

I'm mostly out of comic art collecting nowadays, preferring to collect Movie Poster original artwork paintings.  Even here I'm at over 50 examples and am becoming more selective about future additions to my collection.  I'm a big fan of Reynold Brown's movie art and wasn't expecting to land any of the artist's paintings anytime soon.  Then, within the space of a few months, I managed to acquire four good paintings.  Robert McGinnis was another unexpected addition.  McGinnis didn't produce a lot of movie art, so it's not as if I'm spoilt for choice.  Then I was offered a McGinnis movie painting as an 'extra' thrown into a trade deal that worked heavily in my favour . . .

Edited by The Voord

Well since I’ve already this year bought a DPS from the Superman Vs Spider-Man treasury (which has been permanently on my want list) and a Swan Superman page (which I’m very excited to share with you all when it arrives!)... my “goal” for the rest of the year is most likely to enjoy all of you buying pieces that make you happy! 

(Ok, and MAYBE keeping my eyes open for an early Spider-Man newspaper strip and/or a Perez page from his first Avengers run.  But, you know, I really REALLY doubt it. LOL)

On 1/12/2019 at 1:00 PM, vodou said:

I still buy low-end crapola, if its got the Phantom Stranger in it and the images are decent.  Although, I do have my limits these days.

Still won't pull the trigger on Dillin even if it did come up again.

On 11/22/2018 at 10:10 PM, Stefanomjr said:

I'd be on the lookout for:

1. Alex Toth art. A Torpedo page would be glorious,  but highly unlikely. Otherwise,  something published that he inked himself. 

2. John Buscema Conan splash or cover

3. Kelley Jones Sandman page

Ultimately, I'd like to maintain the quality of my collection and add top tier examples. 

Looking back on the year, so far...

https://www.comicartfans.com/gallerydetailsearch.asp?yr=2019&gcat=120792

Im very happy with the additions and feel I've maintained the quality by adding great examples.  Im still trying to find my way and understand myself as a collector.  Commonalities in 2019: all the artists ink over their own lines and I'm drawn to strong women. 

Edited by Stefanomjr

12 hours ago, jjonahjameson11 said:

Last year, I spent like a drunken sailor on crack.

i’d like To top that amount this year by picking up a McSpidey or McASM cover.  

Any help leading to the purchase of an aforementioned cover will be handsomely rewarded.  :flipbait:

"Further, the human liver actually combines cocaine and alcohol to produce a third substance called cocaethylene. This new substance greatly intensifies the euphoric effects of crack cocaine and significantly increases the risk of sudden death." https://www.alcohol.org/mixing-with/crack-cocaine/