• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I thought you guys would like this story about an amazing new collection find
5 5

74 posts in this topic

4 hours ago, NoMan said:

The hoax incident seems like an interesting story. I'd love to hear about it if you wanna

That as quite a story. It involved 10 days working with a Private Investigator, what we believe was a person in FBI witness protection trying to get someone to bite and hand them a bag of cash for a collection of comics that ended up being hand picked restored books from various sites that at first glanced looked like a high grade Golden Age and Silver Age collection.

The guy who as planning the hoax went into great detail with the back story to the point where at first glance it even checked out with local obituaries. It was pretty elaborate.

Maybe I'll tell it in detail one day.

2 hours ago, telerites said:
2 hours ago, Dan82 said:

Finding a quarter is not the same feeling as finding a quarter million dollars worth of comic books! Anyway, congratulations to both of you, free money is always good :)

I hope you and Roy realize it was obviously said in jest hence the tongue in cheek emoticon.  

I knew it was a joke. (thumbsu

2 minutes ago, VintageComics said:

That as quite a story. It involved 10 days working with a Private Investigator, what we believe was a person in FBI witness protection trying to get someone to bite and hand them a bag of cash for a collection of comics that ended up being hand picked restored books from various sites that at first glanced looked like a high grade Golden Age and Silver Age collection.

The guy who as planning the hoax went into great detail with the back story to the point where at first glance it even checked out with local obituaries. It was pretty elaborate.

Maybe I'll tell it in detail one day.

I for one would love to hear it. I know it takes a great deal of time and energy to tell a story like that but hell sounds fascinating. 

1 hour ago, Bird said:

I got the impression that he doesn't own it now but is helping to bring it to market and is the official comics guy in the deal.

That's correct.

As far as what was in the collection, there is a smattering of most publishers beyond the big two - Dell, Harvey, Lev Gleason, ACG, even Classics Illustrated. All books are from the late 1950's to mid1960's.

The largest runs though, were the Dell Disney books and MLJ books.

Much of the runs are not in extremely high grade - think 5.0 - 9.0 range, which is likely why the collection didn't receive a Pedigree status.

There are several things that I found interesting about the collection.

The most expensive books, the keys, all happened to be in reasonably nice shape but there were almost no runs of Marvel. There were some short runs of DC books.

In some cases, some of the key books were inexplicably missing. For example, there was a TOS #38 and #40 but no #39.

And why did the owner buy keys but not runs?

They're obviously all bought off the newsstand as most of the books contain the same hand written date markings.

This is the stolen ASM #1 for reference in case someone spots it.

969359887_stolenAmazingSpider-man1.thumb.jpg.58bfda2d14827d691a26f9b5119b8c31.jpg

Edited by VintageComics

3 minutes ago, NoMan said:

I was trying to be a little more polite about it but yeah I wanna hear about it now, too. 

My policy is dont bring up a story, till you're ready to tell it!!

2 hours ago, NoMan said:
4 hours ago, kav said:

I wanna hear about this FBI investigation/restored book scam.  And I wanna hear it now.

I was trying to be a little more polite about it but yeah I wanna hear about it now, too. 

There is a lot of sensitive information in the story and I'd have to change the names and places to protect those involved.

It's also a long story so I'm not going to rush it.

Besides, the best part of a story is the anticipation...so I'm glad I have you guys on the hook. :baiting:

1 minute ago, VintageComics said:

There is a lot of sensitive information in the story and I'd have to change the names and places to protect those involved.

It's also a long story so I'm not going to rush it.

Besides, the best part of a story is the anticipation...so I'm glad I have you guys on the hook. :baiting:

Thats the sign of a great storyteller.  I hate those guys that drag on all this boring stuff making you wish they would stop talking.

3 minutes ago, VintageComics said:

The FF #1 won't be coming to market so I figure it would make some good eye candy since it won't be showing up anywhere else.

423697872_FantasticFour1CGC8_5OWW2004024007f.thumb.jpg.bf174032694a5027c2e4dca664c84adf.jpg

I hope I am reading between the lines correctly and that you are getting this one!!! Either way, what a friggin' beautiful book.

2 hours ago, Bird said:

I hope I am reading between the lines correctly and that you are getting this one!!! Either way, what a friggin' beautiful book.

It's not my book but I wish it was. I like FF #1 more than AF #15

2 hours ago, NoMan said:

I'm envisioning some kinda FBI shoot-out over this comic-box hoax capper. A sexy blonde dame and a Double Indemnity kinda double cross. A cross between a $1.00 box diver and a Cohen Brothers' film.

What was that one story about the guy buying up high dollar books didnt care what he paid some kind of money laundering or something.