• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1st Smurfs 1958 (yes 1958) Spirou 1071/1072 Club
1 1

303 posts in this topic

On 2/9/2019 at 3:09 AM, gnoe said:

Some of you might be interested in this fun little fact.

While the french and walloons were reading Spirou in 1958, the dutch and flemish were reading Robbedoes.

Just like Spirou, Robbedoes was printed in 2 versions with different ads.

Robbedoes 1071 appeared on the exact same date as Spirou 1071. These magazines are rare to find.

R1071-001.jpg

Thanks for sharing!

A nice looking copy of "La flûte à six Schtroumpfs" is also available on eBay, this Johan & Pirlouit album was printed in 1960 and is considered to be the first Smurf appearance in a collected edition. The first standalone Smurf comic was printed in 1963 and was called "Les Schtroumpfs Noirs". This story can be found as a "mini-rêcit" in Spirou 1107, readers had to fold the middle pages of the issue and create their own mini version of "Les Schtroumpfs Noirs". So technically the first standalone Smurf comic appeared in 1959.

915541ef-be7a-4d3c-9899-9a694ebb93f2.jpg.307df14631102ffc634a61f18238d5f5.jpg

I recently found out this story wasn't released in the USA until 2011 because of the racist undertone, and they made the black Smurf purple. Tintin all over again :facepalm:

Spirou 1130, 1147, 1211, 1235, 1244, 2435 and 2438 each contain one of these little comics. In 1963 and later on they got printed as regular comics.

Edited by gnoe

This is a great thread - but I am still a bit confused - so hoping everyone could assist:

- First Smurfs is Spirou 1071

- First Smurfs cover is Spirou 1072 (such a great cover in the yellow as well)

- Are there both French and Belgian editions?  If so, is one more describable/considered the original whereas the other is considered a reprint? i.e., which one do I want to purchase the French or the Belgian?

- First Smurfs is Spirou 1071 & Robbedoes 1071

- First Smurfs cover is Spirou 1072 & Robbedoes 1072

- Spirou has a Belgian and French edition. 

- Robbedoes has a Belgian and Dutch edition.

Peyo was born in Brussels so I would assume the Belgian versions are considered 'more original'. 

3 hours ago, gnoe said:

A nice looking copy of "La flûte à six Schtroumpfs" is also available on eBay, this Johan & Pirlouit album was printed in 1960 and is considered to be the first Smurf appearance in a collected edition. The first standalone Smurf comic was printed in 1963 and was called "Les Schtroumpfs Noirs". This story can be found as a "mini-rêcit" in Spirou 1107, readers had to fold the middle pages of the issue and create their own mini version of "Les Schtroumpfs Noirs". So technically the first standalone Smurf comic appeared in 1959.

915541ef-be7a-4d3c-9899-9a694ebb93f2.jpg.307df14631102ffc634a61f18238d5f5.jpg

I recently found out this story wasn't released in the USA until 2011 because of the racist undertone, and they made the black Smurf purple. Tintin all over again :facepalm:

Spirou 1130, 1147, 1211, 1235, 1244, 2435 and 2438 each contain one of these little comics. In 1963 and later on they got printed as regular comics.

I wonder if the episode below is an adaption of this story? With purple smurfs of course

27 minutes ago, gnoe said:

- First Smurfs is Spirou 1071 & Robbedoes 1071

- First Smurfs cover is Spirou 1072 & Robbedoes 1072

- Spirou has a Belgian and French edition. 

- Robbedoes has a Belgian and Dutch edition.

Peyo was born in Brussels so I would assume the Belgian versions are considered 'more original'. 

I have both versions of Spirou 1071 and 1072 slabbed-Belgian and French edition but cgc does not note it in their label.  Eventually they should since supposedly the Belgian version is more rare.  the good thing is that its pretty obvious which version it is when looking at the cover

In Robbedoes the Belgian edition is referred to as 1071A, the dutch edition is 1071B.

The 1071A version had a Robbedoes-point at page 32, which was often cut out.

Other differences can be seen on page 5, 25, 28 and 32.

58 minutes ago, Jeffro. said:

I wonder if the episode below is an adaption of this story? With purple smurfs of course

Same story indeed.

As a kid I grew up watching the cartoons & reading the comics, and I never noticed the difference in color.

No Smurf.

I was looking at the CGC Census and discovered following mistake.

Spirou 721 ain't the first appearance of Marsupilami, he first appeared in Spirou 720 (January 1952).

81692070_Schermafbeelding2019-02-19om17_01_33.png.f88273651b6f9292ae240b7daf036084.png

I searched the forum and Marsupilami returned 1 result, it broke my heart.

Edited by gnoe

On 2/12/2019 at 7:01 PM, Chillax23 said:

This is a great thread - but I am still a bit confused - so hoping everyone could assist:

- First Smurfs is Spirou 1071

- First Smurfs cover is Spirou 1072 (such a great cover in the yellow as well)

- Are there both French and Belgian editions?  If so, is one more describable/considered the original whereas the other is considered a reprint? i.e., which one do I want to purchase the French or the Belgian?

There is a Swiss version (in French as well) But these are indistinguishable (AFAIK) from the French editions.

Both French and Belgian Spirou were printed at the same time, just like the Marvel cents and pence editions.

The Belgian edition is considered the original edition as they were "first off the press" and Spirou is/was a Belgian comic anthology magazine, so the French version could be considered a "price variant"

The Belgian edition is easily recognisable as it has a small cut-out stamp on the bottom of the back cover among other small differences, but the collectable stamp (called a "point Spirou or timbre Spirou)is the easiest to spot.

There were more French issues than Belgian issues printed, not only because France is 18X bigger than Belgium, but also because roughly half of the issues printed in Belgium were Dutch language (Robbedoes) and the other half French language (Spirou)

Edited by chromium

These are the first comics I submit so I really don't know what to expect, they could be low to mid grade copies as well.

I submitted Spirou 1071, Spirou 1072, Robbedoes 1071 & Robbedoes 1072. They're al Belgian editions except Spirou 1072 and they still have the Spirou coupons.

I've printed the submission form today.

How do I make sure CGC mentions the "first Smurf appearance" and "first Smurf cover" on the case?

1 hour ago, gnoe said:

These are the first comics I submit so I really don't know what to expect, they could be low to mid grade copies as well.

I submitted Spirou 1071, Spirou 1072, Robbedoes 1071 & Robbedoes 1072. They're al Belgian editions except Spirou 1072 and they still have the Spirou coupons.

I've printed the submission form today.

How do I make sure CGC mentions the "first Smurf appearance" and "first Smurf cover" on the case?

They will mention 1st Smurf’s for the 1071 and 1st smurfs cover.  They don’t distinguish between French and Belgium versions though.  Might want to email cgc directly about the Robbedoes; not sure if that’s ever been graded 

16228E9E-41DF-4F52-A949-DEADCE90CAF5.jpeg

6E9FAE9C-6B6E-4642-A337-0CAD85155BB7.jpeg

59AFF298-FCA8-4733-912B-5825FF7902CD.jpeg

0AEC4B2E-0ADC-4517-8907-F16E9BF5B3BA.jpeg

3 minutes ago, Spiderturtle said:

They will mention 1st Smurf’s for the 1071 and 1st smurfs cover.  They don’t distinguish between French and Belgium versions though.  Might want to email cgc directly about the Robbedoes; not sure if that’s ever been graded 

I used the online form and had to choose "Franco-Belgian" as a country, all Spirou's are graded that way and I didn't want to start my own Belgian category. Robbedoes is not graded before so I could fill in Belgium as a country, and it felt less frustrating. 

Nice collection!

On 2/19/2019 at 5:05 PM, gnoe said:

No Smurf.

I was looking at the CGC Census and discovered following mistake.

Spirou 721 ain't the first appearance of Marsupilami, he first appeared in Spirou 720 (January 1952).

I was looking at my collection and I own a copy of Spirou 720 in near mint condition.

As Marsupilami is my favorite comic book character I would love to get it graded by CGC.

How would this work if Spirou 721 is seen as his first appearance? I'm a newbie in comic book grading, how are these kind of conflicts usually resolved?

On 2/24/2019 at 9:55 PM, Spiderturtle said:

So I've contacted CGC and they told me I should add a post-it to the Robbedoes comic bag, requesting the Smurfs first appearance.

This could become tricky, as the package is already shipped.

I hope they'll notice the resemblance between Spirou and Robbedoes while grading.

40 minutes ago, gnoe said:

So I've contacted CGC and they told me I should add a post-it to the Robbedoes comic bag, requesting the Smurfs first appearance.

This could become tricky, as the package is already shipped.

I hope they'll notice the resemblance between Spirou and Robbedoes while grading.

Unless you did the walkthrough service, you have plenty of time for customer service to notify the graders or quality control before it gets finalized.  Even with the walk through service, they were able to accomadate my request before book was mailed out