• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1st Smurfs 1958 (yes 1958) Spirou 1071/1072 Club
1 1

303 posts in this topic

48 minutes ago, Spiderturtle said:

Yep.  I remember watching the snorks and thinking of the similarities between them and the smurfs.  Nice Wikipedia page on them:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snorks

Wow...I see you've really fallen down the rabbit hole since we last spoke! Man the Snorks!!! I would have totally forgotten about them if it weren't for your post. Very cool! 

Excited that I was able to pickup a couple issues of Robbedoes 1071 and 1072 recently.  It appears that there's 10 to 1 ratio of Spirou vs Robbedoes available for sale.  That's my estimation of course based on a small sample size

I'll try to contact Dupuis for the exact numbers.
Your estimation seems fair. Considering the geography I would think it's even worse.
Spirou was always the popular one, Robbedoes ceased to exist in 2005.
I believe it's a cultural thing. Till this day, the Walloon comic scene is very much alive, as the Flemish is almost dead.

2 hours ago, gnoe said:

I'll try to contact Dupuis for the exact numbers.
Your estimation seems fair. Considering the geography I would think it's even worse.
Spirou was always the popular one, Robbedoes ceased to exist in 2005.
I believe it's a cultural thing. Till this day, the Walloon comic scene is very much alive, as the Flemish is almost dead.

There are about 80 million French speakers in Europe, and about 23 million Dutch speakers. Plus Robbedoes was never very successfully in Holland (where 75% of the Dutch speakers live) but Spirou was as popular in France as it was in Belgium.

Even hard-core Flemish and Dutch vintage comic book collectors collect Spirou over Robbedoes oddly enough.

Wouldn't be surprised if the 2 9.6 will be offered to the market in the near future.  our discussion here on the boards has brought more interest in my opinion.  I was going to win a 1071/1072 Robbedoes with a snipe bid in the last 10 seconds but another ebayer beat to me it the 5 second mark.  I was on my cell phone so couldn't snipe it correctly if I had been on a desktop.  

It would be interesting to see if someone like Heritage promoting the 2 9.6's 2-3 month preview, catalog.  That 9.4 and 9.2 sales were for good money.  Would be interested to see what happens in a public auction since most people still don't know about these 2 books.  Like I said earlier on here, I know of  a well known dealer on the boards that didn't know what they were.  I have much respect for his knowledge but it just shows that a lot of usa dealers are still not aware of the book

Edited by Spiderturtle

On 4/13/2019 at 10:40 AM, gnoe said:

Two 9.6 copies surfaced!

:cloud9:

Looks like both copies will be in the Comiclink featured auction in May.  Of course at the moment neither book is part of the banner for their May auction.  Ghost Rider 1 cgc 9.6 is a book that is part of the current banner.  I know most people don't know about these 2 books but it's safe to say these Spirou are much more important than Ghost Rider in pop culture

spirou 1071.png

spirou 1072.png

Comparing the 1072 covers I discovered an interesting detail.

2042503919_Schermafbeelding2019-04-23om19_48_15.png.457b05e9132a837f33a2e88a04b623d1.png

There's a Smurf lounging in the O of the Spirou version. The same Smurf & one to the left are missing some body parts in the Robbedoes version.
This bloodbath happened when they replaced the Spirou font.

Edited by gnoe

5 hours ago, gnoe said:

Comparing the 1072 covers I discovered an interesting detail.

2042503919_Schermafbeelding2019-04-23om19_48_15.png.457b05e9132a837f33a2e88a04b623d1.png

There's a Smurf lounging in the O of the Spirou version. The same Smurf & one to the left are missing some body parts in the Robbedoes version.
This bloodbath happened when they replaced the Spirou font.

From this when can conclude that Spirou came out before Robbedoes or the cover was drawn with the word "Spirou" in mind