• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1st Smurfs 1958 (yes 1958) Spirou 1071/1072 Club
1 1

303 posts in this topic

On 6/15/2020 at 7:09 AM, Frederic9494 said:

Gargamel is in the house! (or at least will be very soon)

After 2.5 years of active search, I just got my hands on a Spirou 1130 in high grade with its uncut  "Le Voleur de Schtroumpfs" (the Smurf Catcher) supplement.

This is the first appearance of Gargamel from 1959. Finding copies of Spirou 1130 with its supplement is excessively difficult. 

Those were not stapled to the magazine and buyers were instructed to cut and staple them to create a mini comic book (!) Very few were left intact.

Here's a pic of the supplement.

20200615_144215[1].jpg

When you do an eBay search on this book.  There’s no mention that it’s a supplement of the book that was not stapled to the magazine.  Maybe all the sellers are not even aware that they are selling an incomplete book.

On 6/17/2020 at 6:20 PM, Spiderturtle said:

When you do an eBay search on this book.  There’s no mention that it’s a supplement of the book that was not stapled to the magazine.  Maybe all the sellers are not even aware that they are selling an incomplete book.

Well, very few list Spirou 1130 as Gargamel's first appearance. But  it is well known in Europe that he first appeared in the "Le Voleur de Schtroumpfs" story which was originally published as an unstapled folded 3 sheet supplement in Spirou 1130. This was the second Smurfs supplement in Spirou magazines.

The first of those unstapled supplement was the Smurfs' first solo adventure outside of Johan and Peewit "Les Schtroumpfs Noir" (was renamed The Purple Smurfs in English, and not the Black Smurfs...) It was included in Spirou 1107. Another impossible supplement to find in high grade... trust me, I have tried! And no copy up to now...

From memory, I think there were 4-5 different Smurfs supplements, each being short solo adventure. This concept eventually morphed into the "Mini-Récits" centerfolds which were stapled but were also designed to be cut and stapled into a mini comic books (those included many other characters). In Spirou 1460 (First Smurfette) and 1468 (first blonde smurfette) there is such "mini-récit" at the centerfold with non-Smurfs characters. Luckily those pages are numbered so it's easy for CGC to spot the incomplete copies.

Most of the Spirou from that era lack the "mini-récit" centerfold, as kids started to collect them separately...

That's not the case with Spirou 1107 & 1130 as the supplement were not stapled and didn't have the same page numbers than in the magazine. So their absence might go unnoticed...

That being said the Smurfs only appear in the 3 sheet supplement in Spirou 1107 & 1130... so it should be easy to spot if the Smurfs or Gargamel are there or not !!!

Edited by Frederic9494

On 6/14/2020 at 5:10 PM, Frederic9494 said:

Will it be on Disney+?

It’s gonna be on Nickelodeon in the good ol USA.  Spongebob, turtles, and the smurfs.  I’ll be watching Nickelodeon 

https://deadline.com/2020/06/the-smurfs-nickelodeon-new-animated-series-consumer-products-line-1202962169/

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/amp/live-feed/new-smurfs-series-lands-at-nickelodeon-1299137?__twitter_impression=true

In addition to the content partnership, ViacomCBS Consumer Products will manage consumer products licensing for The Smurfs property across the U.S., Canada, Mexico, the United Kingdom, Singapore and Malaysia. VCP will seek new merchandising and promotional partners for The Smurfs classic brand, in addition to a new product line for the new animated series, including toys, stationery, apparel and accessories, home, consumer packaged goods and more, for a retail launch in 2022.

62A4E42D-B859-4BE4-8E5D-FA61BFD1E3EC.jpeg

IMPS is run by Peyo’s daughter, interesting fact there

Edited by Spiderturtle

59 minutes ago, Frederic9494 said:

Spirou 1460. First appearance of the Smurfette! (April 1966)

One of the best copies  I have been able to get my hands on (and it does include the mini-story at the centerfold)

IMG_8795.jpg

Hmm, Smurfette looks just a bit different on that cover from what I seem to recall her as being ...

But at least she is blue.

(and maybe I’m just remembering her all wrong).

9 hours ago, MusterMark said:

Hmm, Smurfette looks just a bit different on that cover from what I seem to recall her as being ...

But at least she is blue.

(and maybe I’m just remembering her all wrong).

This cool cover was the culmination of a running gag included in previous issues where the Smurfs would be looking for the Smurfette in different places (included as small adds in the magazine to build up the readers expectations)

As the Smurf on top says "No, it's not the Smurfette, she's on page 6!"

Edited by Frederic9494

On 6/25/2020 at 5:33 PM, Frederic9494 said:

Spirou 1460. First appearance of the Smurfette! (April 1966)

One of the best copies  I have been able to get my hands on (and it does include the mini-story at the centerfold)

IMG_8795.jpg

Definitely remind cgc when they encapsulate to state the inclusion of the mini story.  I’ve seen slabbed copies of this book that does not mention that.  Makes you wonder if cgc is aware of it or not

On 6/25/2020 at 6:48 PM, Frederic9494 said:

This cool cover was the culmination of a running gag included in previous issues where the Smurfs would be looking for the Smurfette in different places (included as small adds in the magazine to build up the readers expectations)

As the Smurf on top says "No, it's not the Smurfette, she's on page 6!"

Ha, it was silly of me to not read the speech bubble!  :tonofbricks:

10 hours ago, Spiderturtle said:

Definitely remind cgc when they encapsulate to state the inclusion of the mini story.  I’ve seen slabbed copies of this book that does not mention that.  Makes you wonder if cgc is aware of it or not

In the case of Spirou 1460 the mini story stars another comic book character (Bobo the prisonner) and the Smurfs story is directly in the pages of the magazine.

If the mini story is absent, I am pretty sure that CGC people would see it right away as the pages number at the centerfold would jump from 24 to 29...

Updates:

(7/5) - TFOU, the kids’ programming strand of leading French commercial broadcaster TF1 who will premiering the brand new The Smurfs series (locally titled Les Schtroumpfs) as part of their Autumn/Winter 2020 programming highlights, has released new details about the new series!

The Smurfs will feature iconic Smurfs such as Joker Smurf and Baby Smurf, Grouchy Smurf and Musician Smurf, as well as the return of villains, such as wizard Gargamel and his cat, Azrael.

Smurfette has long been the only girl Smurf in the village, however, this will change in The Smurfs, when the Smurfs meet a "tribe" of girl Smurfs (Smurfettes)! Reckless, inventive and unpredictable, Smurfwillow, Smurfstorm, Smurfbuttercup and Smurfflower, among others will also accompany the Smurfs in their funny and thrilling adventures.

The Smurfs season one will have 52x13’ episodes as three 26-minute specials.

2 hours ago, Spiderturtle said:

Updates:

(7/5) - TFOU, the kids’ programming strand of leading French commercial broadcaster TF1 who will premiering the brand new The Smurfs series (locally titled Les Schtroumpfs) as part of their Autumn/Winter 2020 programming highlights, has released new details about the new series!

The Smurfs will feature iconic Smurfs such as Joker Smurf and Baby Smurf, Grouchy Smurf and Musician Smurf, as well as the return of villains, such as wizard Gargamel and his cat, Azrael.

Smurfette has long been the only girl Smurf in the village, however, this will change in The Smurfs, when the Smurfs meet a "tribe" of girl Smurfs (Smurfettes)! Reckless, inventive and unpredictable, Smurfwillow, Smurfstorm, Smurfbuttercup and Smurfflower, among others will also accompany the Smurfs in their funny and thrilling adventures.

The Smurfs season one will have 52x13’ episodes as three 26-minute specials.

Hmm, well, what about Sassette, and Nanny Smurf ... ?

On 6/28/2020 at 9:46 AM, Spiderturtle said:

Just saw this book on eBay, as expected CGC is aware of the mini story centerfold (in absence of it the page numbering is broken):

s-l1600-199.jpg

A first in my collection : Spirou 1070 - First (vocal) appearance by the Smurfs on the last panel... leading to their first full appearance in Spirou 1071.

Joahan and Peewit are transported by the king's magician to the Cursed Land to meet the Smurfs.IMG_8994.thumb.jpg.1fb17ed8ad9132f07a7f24aef60c333e.jpgIMG_8995.thumb.jpg.d34d77a44494dd6328ecb19a3750ff41.jpg

After a 3 year searh, I finally was able put my hands on the toughest Smurfs comic book of all : Spirou 1107 (July 1959) with the uncut first solo Smurfs story that came as a loose supplement. 

Kids were instructed to cut and staple it into a mini comic book. This operation included cutting the back cover of the magazine where the cover of the mini comic is printed. Very few intact copies have survived...This story "Les Schtroumpfs Noirs" ("The Black Smurfs") is a zombie-like story that was renamed (and recolored!) "The Purple Smurfs" in the United States.

s-l1600-238.thumb.jpg.63355bf082cd80c6eeed1c2ac54adc1e.jpg

815ad012-bc71-11ea-85ad-b738927bd382-2.jpeg

dbfd02c2-bc6d-11ea-85ad-b738927bd382-2.jpeg

30 minutes ago, Frederic9494 said:

After a 3 year searh, I finally was able put my hands on the toughest Smurfs comic book of all : Spirou 1107 (July 1959) with the uncut first solo Smurfs story that came as a loose supplement. 

Kids were instructed to cut and staple it into a mini comic book. This operation included cutting the back cover of the magazine where the cover of the mini comic is printed. Very few intact copies have survived...This story "Les Schtroumpfs Noirs" ("The Black Smurfs") is a zombie-like story that was renamed (and recolored!) "The Purple Smurfs" in the United States.

s-l1600-238.thumb.jpg.63355bf082cd80c6eeed1c2ac54adc1e.jpg

815ad012-bc71-11ea-85ad-b738927bd382-2.jpeg

dbfd02c2-bc6d-11ea-85ad-b738927bd382-2.jpeg

I don’t collect anything smurf, but I love this thread. Keep up the good work...