• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1st Smurfs 1958 (yes 1958) Spirou 1071/1072 Club
1 1

303 posts in this topic

On 11/19/2019 at 7:35 PM, miraclemet said:

Here's the Dutch version of 1071 & 1072

I take issue with the label specifications citing this as the "Belgian" edition. 

Both the French and Dutch versions were produced by Edition Duppos, a BELGIAN publisher. They published French language versions (Spirou) for the south and Dutch language versions (Robbedoes) for the north. 

Published at the same time, one doesn't preceed the other, nor is one the primary. And to call the Dutch language one the "Belgian Edition" one is ignoring the fact that Spirou is ALSO the Belgian edition, just for the French speaking ones....

4the copy of the Dutch version of 1071 and 2nd copy of the 1072 on census.

White pages...mmmmm 

1574209181653-ec9973de-0805-4c3c-9c79-ab06d5cec2d6_.thumb.jpg.f46ec0307fa59dca232b3c1eb2d2bbf2.jpg

1574209214755-61958a67-2a91-4a60-89f9-4446515d0216_.thumb.jpg.adf7aa1a999ca64af9fc25862f1f891e.jpg

Hey Miraclemet! Aren't those the two raw Robbedoes I sold you? Nice grade that you got! Congrats! @miraclemet

Edited by Frederic9494

On 11/20/2019 at 8:58 PM, Frederic9494 said:

Hey Miraclemet! Aren't those the two raw Robbedoes I sold you? Nice grade that you got! Congrats! @miraclemet

They are! I was happily surprised with the grades, and THRILLED with the page quality. I bought them intended to do onsite grading at Baltimore, forgetting that they were gonna have to be holdered in magazine sized slabs, which they don't do at shows, so I just dropped off and waited.

Thrilled to have them as mementos of my years living in Hoeilaart, Belgium

8 minutes ago, miraclemet said:

They are! I was happily surprised with the grades, and THRILLED with the page quality. I bought them intended to do onsite grading at Baltimore, forgetting that they were gonna have to be holdered in magazine sized slabs, which they don't do at shows, so I just dropped off and waited.

Thrilled to have them as mementos of my years living in Hoeilaart, Belgium

So not even pressed? Wow... that's great.  I am now full of hope for my Spirou(s) at CGC :smile: :wishluck:

On 11/17/2019 at 12:16 PM, Frederic9494 said:

I wonder if some of us collectors should write up a summary document requesting inclusion in the Overstreet (at least for #1071 & 1072).

There's already a good amount of GPA data. We should be able to break down grades/pricing for initial inclusion in the Guide.

Maybe a dealer can include it in his repuort.  Unlikely though.  Comiclink can list their spirou 1071 cgc 9.6 sale

i use to read the market reports religiously but ever since I discovered the boards I stopped.  It’s basically 1 year behind 

we’re at 14,000 views

Edited by Spiderturtle

I was on holidays in Orlando this week and then realized "Maybe Joeypost has received my Spirou back from CGC?"

He had just received them so I was able to pick them up in person (Joe is a great guy!). I am very pleased with his work and the grades I got from CGC.

IMG_8232.jpg

On 11/30/2019 at 12:01 AM, Spiderturtle said:
  On 11/17/2019 at 9:16 PM, Frederic9494 said:

I wonder if some of us collectors should write up a summary document requesting inclusion in the Overstreet (at least for #1071 & 1072).

There's already a good amount of GPA data. We should be able to break down grades/pricing for initial inclusion in the Guide.

This would not make sense. Either the full series or nothing. Why should american collectors be fixated on two single issues of a year run just because they decided they are worth purchasing (leaving all the others behind).
No good. And that’s not even *the* univocal plane by which collecting markets go, either.

On 4/23/2019 at 8:26 PM, gnoe said:

Comparing the 1072 covers I discovered an interesting detail.

2042503919_Schermafbeelding2019-04-23om19_48_15.png.457b05e9132a837f33a2e88a04b623d1.png

There's a Smurf lounging in the O of the Spirou version. The same Smurf & one to the left are missing some body parts in the Robbedoes version.
This bloodbath happened when they replaced the Spirou font.

It’s not a "font". Both magazine headers were handlettered.

30 minutes ago, vaillant said:

This would not make sense. Either the full series or nothing. Why should american collectors be fixated on two single issues of a year run just because they decided they are worth purchasing (leaving all the others behind).
No good. And that’s not even *the* univocal plane by which collecting markets go, either.

I’m surprised that most Americans don’t even that this series existed.  Been around since 1958 and some of the well known American dealers don’t even know if it’s existence

2 hours ago, Spiderturtle said:

I’m surprised that most Americans don’t even that this series existed.  Been around since 1958 and some of the well known American dealers don’t even know if it’s existence

In fact it's been around since 1938. Some of the issues from 1939-1941 even include some reprints of early Superman adventures (as "Marc, the Modern Hercules"...)

1 hour ago, Frederic9494 said:

Time to show off what I got back from CGC, starting with my two lowest grade books.

Very nice copies but there is some rust on the staples (they came from the same original owner in France)

IMG_8239.jpg

IMG_8249.jpg

Nice, lowest?  What grades are the other ones