1st Smurfs 1958 (yes 1958) Spirou 1071/1072 Club
2 2

146 posts in this topic

1,978 posts

Does anyone know if the Smurfs and Marsupilami ever crossed over in a story? Also does anyone know what issue was Gargamel’s first appearance? Thanks.

1,413 posts

Don't think they ever did. Different universe.

Gargamel first appeared in the Black Smurf (or Purple for the politically-correct US audience) in Spirou 1107.

That appearance is in the mini-comic (to be cut and assembled) in the centerfold.

Almost impossible to get in any good grade with the centerfold still attached and back cover uncut (they had the lovely idea of putting the mini-comic cover on the back cover...)

41 posts

Marsupilami only appeared in the 'Spirou et Fantasio' stories (Spirou is the bell boy seen on the cover of 720) so he never met the Smurfs. Marsu Productions bought the Marsupilami rights and his first standalone story appeared in 1987, he briefly returned to Dupuis in 2016.

The first Gargamel is Spirou 1130 I believe, in the second mini-comic 'Le voleur des schtroumpfs'.

Just checked the census and the new labels show whether the magazine is French or Belgian.
I wonder if my re-encapsulation labels will show this difference.

41 posts
On 6/18/2019 at 5:21 PM, Frederic9494 said:

for the politically-correct US audience

Marsupilami had the same kind of issues.
Following the Smurfs succes Dupuis decided to make an animated tv-show for Marsupilami, they didn't even bother to tell Franquin about this plans, and he wasn't too happy with the results. At the time Ronald Reagan was in conflict with the country of Nicaragua, making it difficult to represent white people as evil in a Latin American country. They had to remove the dots on his tail to make animation easier. I've never seen this show, but after watching some Youtube clips one could conclude they really butchered the character. Marsupilami can't talk for example, he only imitates the sounds he hears.

In 2000 the show was redone by Marsu Productions itself and they did a much better job staying true to the character.
And in 2012 Marsupilami had his own live-action movie: 'Sur la Piste du Marsupilami':

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X1x9TsBXSY4