• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Golden Age Bags?

24 posts in this topic

Hi All,

I hope this is the right place for this:

I've finally run out of Golden Age bags and need to buy some more in quantity (10k+).

I used to buy my bags from American Plas-Tech Distribution out of Concord CA. Near as I can tell, they're not around anymore.

The bags I REALLY like are called "Abar" bags: 

Golden Age comic Size 7 5/8" x 10 1/4" plus 2" flap

Polypropylene 60 microns thick

Are these still being made? If so, where can I buy them in bulk at wholesale?

If not, what are people using instead?

Thanks!!

IMG_3300.JPG.c34183e0ec4fc91a59dbed032c66ea4d.JPG

I really like the E. Gerber Mylites 2 found on hotflips.com. They come in a wide variety of sizes; I prefer the 'Super Golden Age' which are 8 1/4" across. They fit even the widest of golden age books -- and/or books with slight spine rolls that threaten to snag on the edges of normal-sized GA bags -- and cover colors show just beautifully through them.  (thumbsu

https://hotflips.com/product/mylites-2-super-golden-age-825-m2

On 11/23/2018 at 2:27 PM, rtsunlimited said:

Hi All,

I hope this is the right place for this:

I've finally run out of Golden Age bags and need to buy some more in quantity (10k+).

I used to buy my bags from American Plas-Tech Distribution out of Concord CA. Near as I can tell, they're not around anymore.

The bags I REALLY like are called "Abar" bags: 

Golden Age comic Size 7 5/8" x 10 1/4" plus 2" flap

Polypropylene 60 microns thick

Are these still being made? If so, where can I buy them in bulk at wholesale?

If not, what are people using instead?

Thanks!!

IMG_3300.JPG.c34183e0ec4fc91a59dbed032c66ea4d.JPG

I haven't seen Charles Abar bags in 25 years - they were imported from China.  ComiCovers were made in America...

ComiCovers Package.jpg

2 minutes ago, rtsunlimited said:

They are way more expensive.

21 hours ago, Moondog said:

I haven't seen Charles Abar bags in 25 years - they were imported from China.  ComiCovers were made in America...

ComiCovers Package.jpg

Yeah, but they were made with virgin polypropylene.  I prefer my polypropylene to have some experience. 

47 minutes ago, Tri-ColorBrian said:

Does anyone really use plastic bags anymore?  All my books are in Mylites.  I'll never use anything else.  :sumo:

A couple of months ago, I finally rebagged some books that were in Robert Bell bags.  Probably bought those circa 1970. 

Just now, Tri-ColorBrian said:
23 minutes ago, Sqeggs said:

A couple of months ago, I finally rebagged some books that were in Robert Bell bags.  Probably bought those circa 1970. 

Those books are probably completely ruined now...:baiting:

I grew up in California, so I like my books tanned!

On 11/27/2018 at 1:16 PM, Tri-ColorBrian said:

Does anyone really use plastic bags anymore?  All my books are in Mylites.  I'll never use anything else.  :sumo:

I do! 

Actually here's how I bag and board my comics:

I put the comic in a Mylite and tape it closed, then use two boards, and put all that in a polypropylene bag or, for my more expensive books, a Mylar sleeve.

BTW, those old Abar bags I've been using don't seem to yellow or turn green and they also don't stick to each other like some other bags do.

This is why I'm keen on finding a replacement.