• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Planet Run is complete! Zolnerowich would be pleased!
2 2

187 posts in this topic

I never realized how cool๐Ÿ†’๐Ÿ†’ the Planet comics covers were before โ‰๏ธโ‰๏ธ Now I know this is an top tier run to collect โ€ผ๏ธโ€ผ๏ธ๐Ÿ’š๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘

On 11/25/2018 at 2:58 PM, Zolnerowich said:

(2015/ 3rd book of eight)

PLANET #2

Planet #1 was a biggie for me, being the first issue of Planet Comics. But Planet #2 was a BIGGIE!ย "Scarce" according to Overstreet, and such a spectacular cover by the hand of Lou Fine. Every time I'd view the Planet cover gallery on comics.org (which I also printed out for quick access), it was this issue that always stood out for me the most. Something about the color palette, the deranged furry 6-limbed monster, and the bewildered lady.ย It was my favorite cover then and my favorite cover now. Especially in appreciation of its scarcity, this was my first "need-to-go-all-in-if-I-want-to-bring-home-this-book" book.ย 

2.thumb.jpg.e44f6723e1eedb877215eb2b91a32073.jpg

After much internal debate I have concluded that this I my favorite cover of the Planet runย 

ย 

ps ย all the rest are tied for second ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘โ€ผ๏ธโค๏ธ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘๐ŸŽ„๐ŸŽ„

22 minutes ago, 1950's war comics said:

almost near the finish line ??ย  ย NOOOOOOOOOOOO............. i wish there were more issues !!!!

I rather like that it is 73 issues. My collection fits in 2 magazine drawer boxes. The run is large enough that it is satisfying andย a challengeย to collect since it has several hard to locate books.

1 minute ago, Artboy99 said:

I rather like that it is 73 issues. My collection fits in 2 magazine drawer boxes. The run is large enough that it is satisfying andย a challengeย to collect since it has several hard to locate books.

actually i fully agree 70 some issues is a nice run,.... i just don't want this thread to die ..............

9 hours ago, FoggyNelson said:

After much internal debate I have concluded that this I my favorite cover of the Planet runย 

ย 

ps ย all the rest are tied for second ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘โ€ผ๏ธโค๏ธ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘๐ŸŽ„๐ŸŽ„

You have impeccable taste! But be warned, Planet Comics are highly addictive. There's no going back to the Land of Tepid Comicsย once you buy your first Planet.ย :preach:

9 hours ago, Zolnerowich said:

Second to last book.

PLANET #65

This cover usually ranks in the top 3 for many Planet-minded folks. I wouldn't necessarily disagree, though have a soft spot for the Rivets.

It's very hard to find this book, especially these days, andย especially in higher grade. I'd owned a lower-grade copy of this issue for a few months before snagging this copy as an upgrade.

As per comics.org, the identity of theย cover artist is "Joe Doolin ?" Well, whoever drew this cover had a fine appreciation for curving lines!

65.thumb.jpg.78e9eb965fd7e43c714ee07d839ee9ed.jpg

I wonder if all the covers attributed to Doolin were truly drawn by Doolin.ย  But it's one sweet book regardless!

3 hours ago, Spyder! said:

I wonder if all the covers attributed to Doolin were truly drawn by Doolin.ย  But it's one sweet book regardless!

I feel like when there is any doubt on a FH cover, they just attribute to Doolin.ย  That 65 is great, that is the first issue that grabbed me and sucked me into the Planet madness.ย ย 

Fantastic run Jay!ย  Been a pleasure watching your saga unfold.

On 12/5/2018 at 4:15 PM, Sqeggs said:

Is the spear going through the back of the dragon's head or is it a weapon being carried on the back of the dragon rider?ย hm

I would say weapon on his back.ย 2c

1 hour ago, FoggyNelson said:

The early river issues are riveting โ€ผ๏ธโ€ผ๏ธ๐Ÿ‘โค๏ธ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ†’๐Ÿ†’

ย 

40 minutes ago, 1950's war comics said:

i have been popping my rivets just looking at them .....

Planet collectors sound a bit like frogs, all they ever say is โ€œrivet rivetโ€

Iโ€™ll show myself outย :boo:

12 hours ago, mwotka said:

I feel like when there is any doubt on a FH cover, they just attribute to Doolin.ย  That 65 is great, that is the first issue that grabbed me and sucked me into the Planet madness.ย ย 

Fantastic run Jay!ย  Been a pleasure watching your saga unfold.

Thanks Mike! It has been a fun ride!

11 hours ago, Zolnerowich said:

The seventy-third of seventy-three books to complete my Planet run. Drum roll...

PLANET #56

This was one of the first issues of Planet Comics that caught myย eye andย truly seduced me to the charms and sublime grace of Planet Comics. After scanning eBay for many months without any luck, I finally found a lower-grade copy at a comic con in Chicago. This was back in 2010 or thereabouts.ย So technically, I did own a copy of this issue pretty early on in my budding collection.ย 

Dial forward to 2018 --ย when I learned the hard way that if you upgrade a book, wait until you receive that book before selling your undercopy! So basically I had gone from completing the run to being one short.ย :cry:

But good luck and timing eventually circled back my way. Actually, it was @Ricksneatstuffย who circled my way, kindly offeringย to sell me this absolutely gorgeous copy at a reasonable price. So I am indebted to Rick to filling in the very last gap in my collection.

A great book to finish out the run.

56.thumb.jpg.2050e0e1ca0218281ea6fc2f3c9b0116.jpg

great book! I am absolutely drawn to golden age books with black covers especially if they are in nice shape like this book. Who doesn't love babes in glass tubes??? Grats

Edited by Artboy99